Plastic straws

Acrusa

a big problem in the discussion of all of this is that people still confuse the terms "weather" and "climate."

since many of us doubt the sources others use--go look up the differences between the two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RJB said:

Seems to be hard scientific on both sides, but it would be a good thing to re cycle all plastics not just a few little straws.  I heard that it still snows in the winter. Global cooling?   Maybe. 

Comments like "it still snows in winter" reveal confusion about climate and weather.

Here's a link to a Scientific American article which defines the difference between climate and weather. It further examines whether or not freak storms -- both hurricanes and snow -- are the result of global warming, are indicators of a climate in transition, or are simply year to year weather variations and tell us nothing about climate change.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

I'm sure anyone who is interested in facts, can find more sites to clarify misconceptions about cold winters.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rvmike said:

And the other party is saying earth will be Done in 12 years. Why get all bunched up? The group in England also admitted to inputing false data!

False data, Fake news. I better start booking many more cruises if the world will be done in 12 years.    A lot of stuff going on without most of us knowing the real truth.  

34 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Where have I heard that before? :classic_biggrin:

34 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Where have I heard that before? :classic_biggrin:

You mean that the world is coming  to an end in 12 years?  Or there will be no airplanes, or no gas.  Only a high speed trains to take us to Europe?   Or for 100 miles in California. In 100 years.   Good luck  with that.  I think it is time to cut this off and talk about what is real with cruising and what info we can give to our fellow cruisers on this website.  Have a great day.  

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm reminded of the old saying that you can explain it to them but you can't understand it for them. 

+1

I am reminded of a statement made by Mark Twain (allegedly):

“Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience”.

Edited by Paulchili

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

+1

I am reminded of a statement made by Mark Twain (allegedly):

“Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience”.

I guess then I can't argue with you, and I will not. Life is too short.  As I said before have a good day.

The facts are clear: even if the U.S. were to implement “The Green New Deal” immediately, it would have a negligible impact on global termperatures— while having a drastic negative impact on our quality of life. We already lead the world in reducing carbon emissions, and there is nothing wrong with implementing thoughtful free market policies to reduce negative environmental impact. But then specious and sophomoric theory of OCR et al is that the really bad environmental actors China, India, Russia, and large developing nations like Brazil will all immediately  follow suit and adopt the GND if we do. If you think that will happen, you’re being as naive as they are...

15 hours ago, JPR said:

The facts are clear: even if the U.S. were to implement “The Green New Deal” immediately, it would have a negligible impact on global termperatures— while having a drastic negative impact on our quality of life. We already lead the world in reducing carbon emissions, and there is nothing wrong with implementing thoughtful free market policies to reduce negative environmental impact. But then specious and sophomoric theory of OCR et al is that the really bad environmental actors China, India, Russia, and large developing nations like Brazil will all immediately  follow suit and adopt the GND if we do. If you think that will happen, you’re being as naive as they are...

+ 1

This made me think of this story I got somewhere. 

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation didn’t care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right --our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they were really recycled. But we didn't have the green
thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the
lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation has to lament how wasteful we
old folks were because we didn't have the green thing back then?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

This made me think of this story I got somewhere. 

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation didn’t care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right --our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they were really recycled. But we didn't have the green
thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the
lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation has to lament how wasteful we
old folks were because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Quite interesting.   So how do we get the genie back in the bottle?    But I do think the average age is going up and we are living longer.  Do we want to reverse that?   The yin and the yang.  Which way are we better off?  No real clear answer. 

• 2 weeks later...