Renting a scooter- How to prevent people from tripping over your scooter?

INCHARGE

i am renting a scooter for next Wed. I am cruising solo, and there will be no one with me to shield people from tripping over my chair. I plan to go slow naturally, but my fear is that someone will walk into the chair. I will be saying hello to people, which should alert them that I am there, but is there something I should know to help me keep everyone safe? I had a recent injury and can not walk any distance on my leg just yet. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately, those of us on scooters are below normal sight level when walking, thus people of foot do have tendencies to run into us. If I am driving through a crowd, I will hold out my arm a bit on the side of the crowd enough to alert them that I am there. Nevertheless, it is a horrible feeling if you run over someone's toes regardless of the fact they actually ran into you. For this reason, I attempt to avoid crowds as much as possible. Suggest you avoid sales on the ship. They can become extremely crowded. If you are not versed in driving a scooter, it might be difficult for you to drive with one hand. The lever on both sides will do both forward and backup depending on if you push it up or down. Thus, only one hand can be used.

Another person attached attached a post (broom handle type) with a bright flag on top. I had something similar once for identification so a group could find us. Do not remember exactly how I attached it. I use a small dowel and probably masking tape.

If you have not done Paseo del Morro in San Juan, it is a lovely trip. Just follow Paseo de la Princesa east from the docks and it turns into Paseo del Morro. Also, San Cristóbal is accessible.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Be careful using the elevators.....on an ncl ship backing out could have taken me down the stairs if i wasnt paying attention....it was not a close call but when you feel you need to get out of the way of a mass group heading your way you may not think of everything in the moment....expect people waiting for the elevators to rush right by you....if i cruised more than every couple of years i would def speak up and demand to not be denied my turn....because i dont i just go with the flow.....some people will be very solicitous....most dont seem to even see you...iyou...i hope you have a wonderful time!

My husband rents a scooter on our cruises and somehow he does become somewhat invisible at times. Of course, I'm with him to clear the way, but he doesn't go where the people are jam packed. We learned that after the muster drill to plan on staying on that particular deck for a while and if we're lucky there's a bar nearby to spend some time until the crowd thins out. We never assume that other people see him.

Hi,

When using a scooter you do become invisible to others, the best tool in your armoury is your mouth, you can alert people by reminding them you are there.

Scooters don't stop on a sixpence so when there are people around turn the speed control down. Remember you are the one out of the ordinary so you have to be more alert to you surroundings. Children can be tricky as they are off with the fairies because they are on their holidays. Think of using a scooter as though you are driving a vehicle, you wouldn't drive fast when driving down a street that has people all over it.

Use your peripheral vision at all times and don't reverse unless you know you are absolutely safe.

If a lift is too full there will always be another.

Watch out for people who just stop in front of you, some do it by accident but there are some, not many, who do it on purpose.

Most important, don't think that the world owes you a living because you are disabled, there are some that do.

Keep your scooter charged, plug it in whenever you can.

Hope this helps

Pete

Hi,

Forgot to add,

When on port days and you want to get off with the scooter, usually there are gang planks, if you can walk up and down them get off and let the staff assist you, they will drive the scooter down by walking at the side but if they do make sure that they use the switch to take the motor out of gear so it is free wheel, this won't damage the motor. If they want to drive it up or down by sitting on it then OK, if you do this it is so uncomfortable as there are wooden laths across the gang plank to assist walking up and down it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. Things I did to make it easier:

My cabin was all the way forward on Carnival Horizon, which is a huge ship. My dining room was aft on deck 4. I rode my scooter all the way to the back elevator while on deck 9. That elevator was the least busy. I would then go down to deck 4, back out slowly, and head to dinner. People were very nice holding doors to the elevator so I could back up. Everything worked out great. Thank you all.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. Things I did to make it easier:

My cabin was all the way forward on Carnival Horizon, which is a huge ship. My dining room was aft on deck 4. I rode my scooter all the way to the back elevator while on deck 9. That elevator was the least busy. I would then go down to deck 4, back out slowly, and head to dinner. People were very nice holding doors to the elevator so I could back up. Everything worked out great. Thank you all.

Thank you for letting us know, glad you had a good time. :)

I attached cattle prods on the front, and back. Anyone gets too close, they get zapped.

Honestly, people will not pay attention, and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't worry about it, and enjoy your vacation.

Lol. I did just fine. I kept a smile on my face, and everyone was really helpful. I always sincerely thanked them for their kindness. Believe it or not, I had lots of teens and young people offering to help me. I was pleased with the help.

Most people are very kind and helpful. I find that people are not aware you are behind them and they veer in front without looking behind them. Also they stop abruptly to talk to someone or look at something without checking behind them. I have nearly hit many of them but thank goodness for good brakes on my Travelscoot. I also put on a small bell and I also carry a whistle for noisy areas so I can blow my whistle to announce my presence.

In most countries people are helpful and kind. The staff on ships are also good with helping in the buffet areas to carry my plate and getting me water or coffee. It is much appreciated.