Live Blog! – B2B2B Seward to Japan – Millennium 2018– Join us for our next adventure

Jim_Iain

I’ve been asked for pictures of our Celebrity Suite 6104.

60950b6c4e690b7bdcc0cf567fc9e945.jpg

8ab377e2bfeaa42b0134e7102bca3569.jpg

7e6406acfb2cedd74a5e71049fd084d0.jpg

476ca4c27c8ff087a6311224f7549a4e.jpg

77140ab2084d01a9d0878f80372fe541.jpg

I’m happy that the Suite is in pretty good shape. Soft goods are in good condition. The bathroom is looking dated and there is a small amount of mildew in the caulking of the bathtub. Stateroom attendant said he would see if he can remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for following up on my request for photos of suite. Appreciate!

Being an almost sea day (Hubbard Glacier around 2:00) we decided to explore Millennium. Millennium was the first ship we sailed in 2001 and have seen all the changes to her over the years.

Many questions in the condition of Millie. She is still a very elegant lady with some signs of age but in nice shape so close to her upcoming dry dock. Soft goods in decent shape but if look closely you can notice slight wear.

Exterior of ship is constantly being painted and is not showing much rust. We were on Constellation before and after dry dock. In comparison she is in remarkable condition.

Many of the enhancement on Connie will not arrive until dry dock e.g. RF Key Cards and upgraded communication and TV system.

Tuscan Grill

9b2e586818a4fac50fa27c72e6733e2d.jpg

c4f073030ac881b3bbd038b88f2c2ea9.jpg

4c2c5e1996c32f62a787c8ee869090ce.jpg

Things look a lot like they did last year. Is Captain Nikolas doing the crossing? We have always liked the Millennium. It's easy to navigate and a comfortable ship for a crossing. There is good storage and closet space. And the public areas are always kept spotless. You will no doubt see wear and tear on furnishing but make sure if you see something you don't like, like the quality of the bedding or towels or any maintenance issue, the stewards have always been good about addressing problems or getting you fluffier towels, newer sheets, better pillows, etc.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

Jim: I am also following closely. We received the phone call from the shoreside concierge today, my husband packed today, I have switched over to my "travel" purse, and I will pack tomorrow. So looking forward to boarding on September 14th.

A quick question -- who is the MC concierge?

Gerry

Jim: I am also following closely. We received the phone call from the shoreside concierge today, my husband packed today, I have switched over to my "travel" purse, and I will pack tomorrow. So looking forward to boarding on September 14th.

Gerry

Love that you have a "travel" purse. I used mine for years and years but it finally gave out, glad it wasn't me giving out:D. My only criteria is an outside zipper pocket to hold our pass ports and barding pass. We won't be hearing from the shore side concierge for about 9 or 10 weeks.

We've done Alaska 3 times, twice with a Celebrity land tour. Loving your review.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Currently the MCC is Josue Acosta but he will be leaving at the end of this cruise. He will be replaced by John whose is currently on Constellation.

We sailed with John last month and found him very efficient, engaging and professional.

I also received a call from Shoreside Concierge today. She missed the notes that I was already aboard. I tried to have her figure out some missing OBC’s but couldn’t figure it out so recommended I have Josue look into it.

Hubbard Glacier

Today was a visit to the Hubbard Glacier. We had breakfast in our room this morning (which is the norm for us). I'm always surprised how inconsistent Celebrity can be from ship to ship. All of the other M-Class ships we have been on in the past year have done away with the white linen tablecloths and are using place mats instead. This morning Joaquin setup breakfast on a nice tablecloth. I personally like the look of the tablecloths.

I think our Stateroom attendant (I'll have to be reminded of his name later) is really going to be good. He is visible and checking in to make sure everything is ok with us. This morning he asked us what time we would like to have our room cleaned and he would do it at the same time each morning. Nice touch.

We had lunch in Luminea today. We both had the lobster roll which was nicely prepared and yummy.

Suite guests had been invited to the Helipad for the visit to Hubbard. We went up there for about 20 minutes and decided to go back to our room and watch from our deck. The winds have been high today and lots of icebergs. Initially the Captain Alex didn't think we would be able to get up very close but the winds dropped after our arrival and he was able to spin the ship one time so everyone could get a view.

We were only able to spend about an hour at the Glacier and are on our way back out of inlet.

55106350ba52307a681418f0fb751f7f.jpg

b29d0a838eeba2dbd8d08a9db958bf25.jpg

2d40df3f9760044c57fbf49601e6304d.jpg

6059ca5a2dddb381cd9e7590e0ee21f0.jpg

Read somewhere about September being good viewing of the Aurora Borialis. Any sign of it?

We did see them one night while up at Denali but have not seen them since on the ship. Someone on another board posted a sight from the University of Alaska and has a forecast site.

http://auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu/

It looks like they are forecast as far south as Juneau today but the move north tomorrow.

Sunday - September 9

We just had an announcement from Captain Alex that we are experiencing high winds (60 MPH) on entry into Juneau (5 miles away) and were sitting stopped. One cruise ship near us just cancelled Juneau and another was starting to turn around.

To find safety from the winds the Pilot now has us sailing slowly in a inlet to the north of Juneau. Captain Alex has been excellent in keeping the guest updated with announcements about every 20-30 minutes. They have also closed all decks and advised guests to avoid going on their verandas.

0545df3ce10f15df50a4beb53255c19c.jpg

As you might notice the hug today is projected as sunny an high of 70f

43baf276783fc7f0a2f39f9654988270.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain

We did see them one night while up at Denali but have not seen them since on the ship. Someone on another board posted a sight from the University of Alaska and has a forecast site.

http://auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu/

It looks like they are forecast as far south as Juneau today but the move north tomorrow.

I just checked the website and the forecast to see the Aurora will be best on the evening of the 16th. Thanks for sharing.

Time to catch up while we wait to see what is going to happen.

Last night was our first Chic Night. I noticed that guests on this cruise are more casual than the European cruises we have been on lately. I only saw 1 or 2 Tux and about 50% of men wore jackets while the others wore collared shirts.

We dined again in Luminea last night. We both had the Lobster Salad for a starter and I had the Alaskan Halibut and Iain chose the Veal Chop. Both were prepared excellent but Iain said his Veal was a bit tough.

At lunch yesterday the Restaurant Manager told us of a limited availability of 6 guests for the Chef's Table. Since we have so much OBC we signed up for it at $286 including 18% tip. Should be fun.

Speaking of OBC's I have been having trouble again missing some OBC from my TA. Josue said he would check on it today. For some reason every cruise I have there has been a couple hundred missing. It usually takes a day to resolve.

Hi Jim,

I have been following "Millie" on Marine Traffic this morning and noted that she had altered course. Juneau does seem to be getting a battering if the harbor webcam is any indication. "Silver Shadow" is apparently redirecting to Skagway and "Coral Princess" to Ketchikan. "Millie" is still showing Juneau as her destination. Fingers crossed that you will be able to get in eventually.

It was asked earlier about Captain Alex. I checked last night and was told that he will stay aboard for the crossing. I will check further once I meet him at the Senior Officers Party.

He seems like a very good communicator and was cracking a lot of jokes yesterday on his morning briefing. Today he has been very good at keeping us advised of whether we will visit Juneau today or whether we will divert.

I did some more exploring of Millennium yesterday and have to say she is looking in nice condition throughout. I noticed that much of the carpet on the hallways have been replaced and show little signs of wear or dirt.

New chairs in Aqua Club

d994a58049e7e8dc763c76b036ad0d31.jpg

9517323bfb7ca29f717deedfad345e63.jpg

d4df3bb7ac1d3acf2ca122215ee8e458.jpg

094e2d0fb026a71adfe8f7c40c3a579f.jpg

861131c4a712bebd20f63367052d3059.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain

Hi Jim,

I have been following "Millie" on Marine Traffic this morning and noted that she had altered course. Juneau does seem to be getting a battering if the harbor webcam is any indication. "Silver Shadow" is apparently redirecting to Skagway and "Coral Princess" to Ketchikan. "Millie" is still showing Juneau as her destination. Fingers crossed that you will be able to get in eventually.

Captain Alex just came on and said that the Port of Juneau will not be possible and we are diverting to Skagway. We should arrive 1PM. All aboard will be 10:00 PM tonight. All tours are being refunded and new tours will be available at 11:00.

We will be returning to Juneau tomorrow but will have to be tendered since we don't have a scheduled dock slot.

I checked further and found out that Captain Alex has only been on for a month and will remain on Millennium until November.
We were on the Equinox a few weeks ago and met a childhood friend of Captain Nikolas, who said he was heading back home for a couple of months. I am sure the current captain is going to be just as good. But for the past four years, Captain Nikolas was in charge, and we have gotten to know him and his officers. Looks like new people.