Rice Cookers -- Not Allowed

charlielinda

We boarded the Equinox today and I'll put on my blog later all about our day BUT this is to good not to share right now.

All our luggage arrived except mine ... we got a call from Guest Relations telling us my bag was being held and we (meaning Charlie) had to go to Deck 2 (aka the Naughty Room) to claim it. Charlie quizzed (interrogated) me to see what contraband I could have brought on board. I replied, "I followed all the rules". I know he didn't believe me and I couldn't imagine what I could possibly have done wrong.

He arrived at the Naughty Room and told the crew he was there to pick his wife's bag up, claiming no responsibility. The crew politely told him his wife had brought a rice cooker aboard! He said he replied "what did you say? A rice cooker!" And started laughing. If you knew me you'd know I've never seen a rice cooker in my life, and wouldn't dream of bringing one on a cruise -- I'm a Minute Rice type of girl. He said other crew members were laughing and showed him a list with our cabin number with rice cooker next to it. While he stood there they opened my bag in search of a rice cooker ... alias none was found. He was able to retrieve my bag and bring it to our cabin.

When he returned he wouldn't tell me what happened until he poured himself a glass of wine -- from one of the two allowed bottles per cabin ... then he asked me if I had brought a rice cooker on board!

So everyone knows you can't bring alcohol, an extra bottle of wine, a charger or knife -- now I can report that you better leave your rice cooker at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by charlielinda
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

Darn! They put sooooo many ridiculous restrictions on us. I mean, now I can’t cook up a bowl (or 6 or 7) of rice; I cant bring my leaf blower on to make sure nothing is tracked into my SR; I can’t bring my AR-15 to keep those pesky seabirds from messing up my Balcony.

When the heck will it ever end?!?

Rice cooker......I can’t even imagine what they mistook in your luggage as one, or that there was one is someone else’s luggage and they mixed them up. Wild!

Den

• Like 1

What a great story! Now people will probably be teasing you about your rice cooker for years to come.

I don't think I would even recognize a rice cooker if I saw one.

But a few times I did bring ulu knives on board, purchased in Alaska as gifts.

Each time. when boarding the ship I placed the package with the ulu knife on the conveyor belt at security, expecting it to be confiscated and held for pickup upon debarkation.

But each time it passed right through with no problem at all, so I just took it back to my cabin.

OK, now I know. Just googled it.

10 Best Rice Cookers 2018

It is tough trying to decide which model would be best to get for my next cruise.

Edited by fleckle

But a few times I did bring ulu knives on board, purchased in Alaska as gifts.

Each time. when boarding the ship I placed the packag5ge with the ulu knife on the conveyor belt at security, expecting it to be confiscated and held for pickup upon debarkation.

But each time it passed right through with no problem at all, so I just took it back to my cabin.

I bought some Ulu Knives after our trip to Alaska from a person that made custom knives for a reasonable price and sold them on line and had them shipped. Thought that they were really great and couldn’t live without one. Rarely use them.

They were others that bought knives in Seward. When boarding the ship they were told that they weren’t allowed on board. There were some good Samaritans at the port that offered to ship them to their house for a $10 fee. They gave them their knives, address and $10.

You can guess the outcome. They are still waiting.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

My neighbor invited herself to my son's graduation in Orlando (2005)we live in Brooklyn, NY. Her rational was, she had a time share and she would be doing me a favor by coming to my son's graduation (different story and I digress); she packed her waffle iron incase she wanted waffles. Worst "vacation" I ever had. She wanted to go in hopes of finding an engineer. My son was graduating from engineering school (UCF)

Ramona

Can someone please explain to me why you want to even cook on a cruise? :o I believe that if a cruise line has a larger than normal Asian passenger base, they will bring aboard extra rice and other Asian specialties. Why anyone would even bring a waffle iron or a rice cooker has me shaking my head.

• Like 3

I met a lady on a cruise a couple of years ago who owned a time share in Aruba. She said she often brought things with her to leave at the time share and had to go through all kinds of explanations when her luggage wound up in the naughty room. I don't know if she had a rice cooker, but she did mention a blender and a cast iron frying pan.

• Haha 1

Oh my, this thread just gave me a jolt. I was reading about confiscated items....I came to mind my DH packing a wine corkscrew in HIS carry on through security at the airport last cruise. Of course they pull it aside and ask him about it, of course he looks at ME like I put in there. There were nice about it, asked if we had someone we could call and give it to them, but we just said to toss it....today I am packing for our cruise on Friday, and just remembered I hadn't packed it...SO, it's in MY CHECKED bag. I have never had a problem taking it on board...watch this time I just might.

I think the X-ray machines need adjustments. We had to go one time to the Naughty room. They spotted a jar of olives. What a waste of time.

Yes, I agree it was a waste of your time as you knew what it was, but not theirs as they did not.

Maybe an adjustment to the machine is in order.

bon voyage

I'm fascinated about what could possibly have looked like a rice cooker! Even more facinated to think why anyone might want to take such a thing onboard in the first place! :confused:

A good to excellent modern day rice cooker cooks so much more than just rice.

bon voyage

• Like 1

Personally, I would love to spend embarkation day in the naughty room seeing what is abound in terms of items being smuggled (or not) aboard the ship, as it were.. I know that I would be amazed, to say least and speechless... LOL

Expressions on passenger faces would be priceless, too...

bon voyage

I can tell you from experience, never ever even think about putting a box of candles in your carry on luggage. A friend packed a box in his carry-on and went through airport security. They actually drew their guns. It seems that on some, if not all, Xray machines, a box of candles look exactly like a bunch of dynamite.

I met a lady on a cruise a couple of years ago who owned a time share in Aruba. She said she often brought things with her to leave at the time share and had to go through all kinds of explanations when her luggage wound up in the naughty room. I don't know if she had a rice cooker, but she did mention a blender and a cast iron frying pan.

Ah! That makes sense.

I have some good friends, long time marrieds, who for several years had homes in 2 cities. A house in one and a condo in the other. The husband worked in the city with the condo, but their forever house was in the other - there was a lot of commuting on Southwest.

One day, the wife packed her DH's bag, and said in passing, "I put in some things to take to the condo" - but neglected to point out those "things" were a brand new set of large kitchen knives. He neglected to tell her that he was going to carry on the bag rather than check it. He came very close to getting arrested because he initially denied having anything in the bag and she came close to being strangled! :rolleyes: