Best Time to Cruise the Mediterranean

Summerprincess

Hello All,

We have a 2 week Mediterannean (Adriatic and Aegean medley - departing Rome and ending Barcelona) cruise booked on Princess that leaves May 25, 2019. I have done similar cruises in September and early October and both times the weather was beautiful and the crowds very manageable - even more so in early October compared to mid-September. Next year we cannot go in the Fall.

Can anyone comment who has traveled in late May in this region? I am wondering if this is a wonderful time to go or if we should consider changing to the same cruise in July for better weather.

Many thanks to anyone who can offer any insight. I much appreciate it!:):)

We are on the the first part of this cruise from Rome to Athens. I think it will be a perfect time to travel after reading about the extreme heat in Europe this summer. I've been on two previous Mediterranean cruises, both in August and we had an amazing time but I'm certainly looking forward to less crowds this time around. We are spending time in Rome beforehand and in Santorini after.

Hello All,

We have a 2 week Mediterannean (Adriatic and Aegean medley - departing Rome and ending Barcelona) cruise booked on Princess that leaves May 25, 2019. I have done similar cruises in September and early October and both times the weather was beautiful and the crowds very manageable - even more so in early October compared to mid-September. Next year we cannot go in the Fall.

Can anyone comment who has traveled in late May in this region? I am wondering if this is a wonderful time to go or if we should consider changing to the same cruise in July for better weather.

Many thanks to anyone who can offer any insight. I much appreciate it!:):)

Do NOT go in July or August. I was there in 2013 end July / early August ... it was SO hot and 100% humidity and CROWDED with TONS of kids. NOT the time to traipse through the med. The months you have picked (Sept. / Oct. for your 1 trip) and May for your upcoming trip are terrific times for good weather and minimal children/crowds.

There is no way to "predict" the weather... but I can say we had wonderful weather for the MED cruise we took this year, last week of May - First week of June. I would not hesitate to take another cruise during this time frame.

Crowds were minimal ... some of the "Big" sites such as the Colosseum in Rome still had large crowds. I cannot imagine how crowded it can get in the prime season!

Enjoy your cruise and cruise planning...

Edited by tdeyette

We think the spring "shoulder season," which includes May is the best time of the year to be cruising the Med (or nearly all of Europe) and the fall shoulder season (mid-Sept - late Oct) is our 2nd best choice. Our only negative on that fall season is that we have experienced more rain then we in the spring.

Hank

We have a cruise on Deposit - on HAL's new-build, for late-Sept early-Oct next year.

I am happy to hear more reports of some good weather and lower crowds!!!

If I had to travel in May, to our Destinations of Italy and Greece, I would want to travel a bit earlier in May????

I am def. NO expert, but I am thinking by the first of June, temperatures and numbers of travelers will be increasing!

I would def. consider late May, though!!!!

Hank, If you have any insight... For Italy and Greece, do you think the chances for rain would increase well into October?

I am wondering if late September into October might be a bit dryer???

Thanks!

We are into September now, and here in the mid-South, it is still HOT and dry!!!

A lot of 90' temps still around.

I too would vote for April/May. We cruised the Med that time this year. My goal was to avoid crowds, beat the summer heat and get a decent deal. Usually the first two or three cruises of the season are great prices. It was fairly warm once we got to Rome and the crowds were intense especially that time of year. The only children we saw were infants/toddlers on the ship and not very many.

Not sure of typical weather patterns but we had great weather, minimal rain and the usual very windy conditions on Santorini and Mykonos. Enjoy your trip!

Anyone travel the Med in November or December?
We sailed from Venice to Rome in November of 2016. We experienced high winds and rough seas for two days in the Adriatic that forced the cancellation of one port day. The Pacific was really rocking! That is a potential issue sailing at that time. Also, the Acqua Alta flooding in Venice starts about then. Fortunately we were not there during peak water levels of high and low tide and were not affected. The weather was a little cool and we needed jackets at times and we had rain in Kotor. That being said, we had a wonderful cruise and the Pacific was the only ship in port all but one day. There were no crowds and most days were sunny, short sleeve weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hank, If you have any insight... For Italy and Greece, do you think the chances for rain would increase well into October?

I am wondering if late September into October might be a bit dryer???

Thanks!

We are into September now, and here in the mid-South, it is still HOT and dry!!!

A lot of 90' temps still around.

Oh my....Guess I would need to have the wisdom of Job :). Funny thing is I often preach here on CC that folks should not always rely on anecdotal comments....and then I go and post that weather post. There are web sites where you can look up climatology by month but even that is not always helpful. In our case we have had great luck in the Spring....and too often lousy luck in the Fall. Not sure that means much but it is simply what happened to us in the Med. Have to laugh because we are now packing for a quick trip to Europe (to cruise back to the USA) and after writing the post this morning I mentioned to DW that we better pack our rain suits :).

So the bottom line is be prepared for anything. But we happily go to Europe in the Spring and Fall (in many years) and have loved every trip. But just consider averages which you can find online. For example, Santorini averages about 10mm of rain in May but nearly 40mm in October. But other places like Athens are pretty dry during both shoulder seasons.

Hank

I was about to ask the same question. We're booked on the Sky for 3 November next year. For us, weather is not as important as avoiding crowds, cool and a little rain is fine. We chose this particular trip for the great itinerary (Kotor, Corfu, Malta, Sicily, Napoli and, of course, our beloved Rome). What can we expect in the way of crowds at this time of year in these specific ports, particularly as regards "Cruise Ship excursions"? I'm hoping to avoid huge lines and hoards of tourists. For example. I'd love to be able to get back to Pompeii and actually be able to enjoy it for a change.

Thank you all for your help and thoughtful replies. We will keep our cruise as is currently scheduled in May. I love September in the Med but my husband works at a university and simply can't be on vacation in September!

For those of you thinking of cruising the Med in the Fall, I think it is a great idea. In 2016, I went with my daughter from Rome to Athens from September 10 to 17. The crowds in Rome were smaller than when we had been there during the summer and the weather was glorious every single day. Last year we went on a 10 day cruise from Rome to Barcelona departing October 7 and had beautiful, warm weather and non-crowded ports. The only drawback then is that it is later in the year and so there is less daylight. The only time I wore a jacket on both of those trips was on the plane on the way there and back.

If anyone has any questions I can answer, I am happy to return the favor.

Thank you all again.:)

A few years ago was scheduled to embark in Venice on November 20. Ship had been diverted to Trieste after waiting off Venice a full day for the winds to subside so they could dock. Leaving Trieste a day late it was 30F/-1C and sleeting at sailaway.

Weather was actually ok at the Adriatic ports but when the ship turned west to enter the Med it was seriously rocking and rolling. The dining room was a sea of green faces hurriedly rushing out.

Thank you all for your help and thoughtful replies. We will keep our cruise as is currently scheduled in May. I love September in the Med but my husband works at a university and simply can't be on vacation in September!

For those of you thinking of cruising the Med in the Fall, I think it is a great idea. In 2016, I went with my daughter from Rome to Athens from September 10 to 17. The crowds in Rome were smaller than when we had been there during the summer and the weather was glorious every single day. Last year we went on a 10 day cruise from Rome to Barcelona departing October 7 and had beautiful, warm weather and non-crowded ports. The only drawback then is that it is later in the year and so there is less daylight. The only time I wore a jacket on both of those trips was on the plane on the way there and back.

If anyone has any questions I can answer, I am happy to return the favor.

Thank you all again.:)

I have sailed in the Med four times. Twice out of Venice; once out of Rome and once out of Southampton. All four cruises were May. The weather and seas are perfect. High 70's to lo 80's. Seas were calm all the time; like on a lake. Our last cruise was in aft penthouse suite and we never felt any movement except when the captain would hit reverse thrusters in port.