Recommended Italian restaurant near midtown Manhattan?

Odonpeg

Allison Janney, very nice! My "movie star" at Gramercy Tavern was Blythe Danner. We did a pre Kinky Boots quick bite at Joe Allen at a table. It was a bad food & service night and it smelled musty. Hey, just like every other restaurant, we could go there tonight & enjoy every moment. :classic_biggrin:

On 2/17/2019 at 10:57 PM, Lois R said:

I see this thread goes back to the fall...….I am still trying to decide where to eat dinner in the city before I go see BEAUTIFUL.

I know Restaurant Row is right near the theater district...….I posted on another thread too but this Italian theme is sounding delicious.:classic_biggrin:.  One of my roll call mates recommended Lattanzi's.  Any of you know it?  I will be in NYC in April:classic_biggrin: the show is at the Sondheim Theater on 43rd.

Oh Lois, I forgot about Hourglass Tavern on 46th. We stumbled upon it once to get out of the rain. Not Italian, but another nice little mom & pop place with good food, good reviews in an old brownstone. Check it out. 😉

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, madelinerose said:

Oh Lois, I forgot about Hourglass Tavern on 46th. We stumbled upon it once to get out of the rain. Not Italian, but another nice little mom & pop place with good food, good reviews in an old brownstone. Check it out. 😉

Looks like a nice place..... the food looks really good with low prices!  Now you have given more to think about!

Hourglass Tavern is great. The original hourglasses are there from back in the day. They would flip it over and this way you wouldn’t be late for your show. I recommend making reservations because the first floor is really tiny. It’s the perfect place for someone dining alone. 

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We were at the Hourglass Tavern with friends recently. I would not recommend it.

We were 4 couples looking for a pre -theater restaurant for lunch.One of my friends called to make the reservation and was told that they had a special menu $25 per person and a choice of 6 entrees. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told it was $29 per person and there were only 4 entrees.

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We were 4 couples looking for a pre -theater restaurant for lunch.One of my friends called to make the reservation and was told that they had a special menu $25 per person and a choice of 6 entrees. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told it was $29 per person and there were only 4 entrees.

Thanks for the explanation. I read the website about these dinners.   I will be looking at other options.

I spelled F&J wrong...…...it should have said "Frankie and Johnnie's" and I will check Zagat's too!

2 hours ago, George C said:

We have done Carmine’s also, food was just ok, very family friendly place , we perfer quieter places more for couples. Agree zagat is a great.

How many times have you dined in Carmines ? I have been there about 60 times and have never had a bad meal.Another favorite would be DaRosina on W.46 St.That is more for couples.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How many times have you dined in Carmines ? I have been there about 60 times and have never had a bad meal.Another favorite would be DaRosina on W.46 St.That is more for couples.

Just once about 5 years ago , meal was not bad but not good enough for us to return, it was very loud with lots of children, which we try to avoid. 

Hi, well, I don't want to dine around a LOUD atmosphere either and I don't dine as a couple either (since I go solo LOL).

From what I have been reading, many of the restaurants have bars that serve dinner. That is more my style even when I eat out here at home.:classic_biggrin:

We also like eating at bar or piano bar, lots of really great steak places have nice bars to eat at,  had a really great lunch of lobster rolls with a very expensive wine at del frisco double eagle , capital grill and galleghers also have nice bars to eat at. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:17 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, well, I don't want to dine around a LOUD atmosphere either and I don't dine as a couple either (since I go solo LOL).

From what I have been reading, many of the restaurants have bars that serve dinner. That is more my style even when I eat out here at home.:classic_biggrin:

Hi Lois.

Rue 57 (57th & 6th)  has a very friendly, laid back bar with good food. :classic_biggrin:

Rue can be quite noisy.It is a French restaurant and a considerable distance from the area you are interested in.

I have lived and worked in NYC most of my adult life and never heard of Lillies Victorian . It is not listed in my Zagat ,the best guide available in my opinion.I should add that I have the 2017 edition and it may be in last years but I tend to doubt it.

Aside from Zagat you might want to check Trip Advisor.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Rue can be quite noisy.It is a French restaurant and a considerable distance from the area you are interested in.

I have lived and worked in NYC most of my adult life and never heard of Lillies Victorian . It is not listed in my Zagat ,the best guide available in my opinion.I should add that I have the 2017 edition and it may be in last years but I tend to doubt it.

Hi, I have been reading Trip Advisor and Zagat for days...…...Guess I just need to pick a place and go:classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Len, just because you’ve never heard of something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Lois is looking for a place she would feel comfortable in as a single woman visiting the theater district. My daughter had visitors from Sweden and they loved eating here between Part 1 and Part 2 of Harry Potter. If anyone needs Michelin rated restaurants I’ve been to those also. 

Edited by Got2Cruise