Recommended Italian restaurant near midtown Manhattan?

Odonpeg

3 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Len, just because you’ve never heard of something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Lois is looking for a place she would feel comfortable in as

You are correct ,LI person . I am just surprised that I never heard of it . I worked in Manhattan and went to college in Manhattan and just never heard of it. I know there are likely hundreds if not thousands of restaurants but if the restaurant is exceptional I would think I might have heard of it.

Hi guys (and gals). I have some time to decide and I do appreciate the replies though. I am kind of having fun looking at the restaurants on line:classic_biggrin:

Lenny, I am going to check the 2 French places you just mentioned.:classic_smile:

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Pergola is a family owned restaurant. They actually work there and are very nice ,very friendly.I have never had a bad meal there.

Wine list just list merlot, Cabernet etc without the name of the wine , which seems really limited, wine is a big part of a good meal.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, Got2Cruise said:

Lillie’s Victorian has the most gorgeous bar. Very nice atmosphere. 

We ate there in September. Enjoyed ourselves. We didn't eat at the bar, but most of the other tables are small, use stools, and closely spaced (it IS midtown) - so even as a couple, we spent time talking to adjoining tables.  Food was good. Especially convenient to theatres in the upper 40's (47th-49th)

Edited by MarkBearSF

On 2/26/2019 at 5:42 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Pergola is a family owned restaurant. They actually work there and are very nice ,very friendly.I have never had a bad meal there.

We enjoy it as well. You would be well taken care of as a single there. You requested Italian, Pergola is more French Country/Basque. Especially convenient to Hamilton (We saw Alex Trebek eat there pre-show for Hamilton a couple of years ago)

Recommend dishes like Beuf Bourguignon and Coq au Vin. (Again, Franch country)

Edited by MarkBearSF

If you're looking for Bar eating, may I suggest the most old-school Broadway experience around?

Eat at the upstairs bar at Sardi's. Surrounded by famous caricatures of Broadway stars of now and decades past. You'll easily get into talk about the current shows and what you're seeing. The bar menu is limited, but they have good Burgers, Club Sandwiches, and Quesidillas. (Don't go to the little bar on the first floor, head to the right and walk upstairs to the main bar facing 44th, Club Sardi's)

Edited by MarkBearSF

Oh - and since we aren't limited to Italian, another Broadway landmark - Joe Allen. A legit theater hangout (with a great bar and full menu served at the bar). Famous for its "flop wall" of all the posters for notorious flops (it didn't start with "Carrie" the musical).  Love their burgers. Their Lobster Roll was famous, should it reappear.  

If you want a table, they take reservations 1 week in advance. Put it on your calendar. No reservations needed for bar seating.

Good morning Mark, the original poster started the thread asking about Italian but I took it to other types of food too.

Lots of choices, that is for sure:classic_smile:

4 hours ago, George C said:

Mark , we went to Sardis upstairs last year and it was standing room only , bar was packed will try it again in a couple of months , perfer Gallagher’s bar .

Yeah - if you want a seat at the bar and food, I'd arrive 1 hour pre-curtain. By 30 minutes, it's packed. Still a great place for a pre-show drink. The bartenders do a great job of keeping track of things and turning out the drinks. And lots of folks to talk to.

• Like 1

I emailed the Manager at Gallagher's directly and he replied back to me (nice).  He said first come first served at the bar and suggested I make a reservation for a table and if the bar is available, great, but if it is full, it assures me a table.  Looking at a map on line, it looks like a pretty easy walk from the restaurant to the Sondheim Theater.

We go to Gallagher’s often since we stay at a hotel a couple of blocks away and always have found a chair at the bar, remember to ask for there potato chips which are free and made there. They make a really good drink also. 

I made my reservation with Open Table for Gallagher's.  I don't usually eat early but because of the show this will be special occasion.:classic_smile:  I booked for 4:45.  Not sure how long everything will take but I would rather be safe than sorry. The show starts at 7:00.  I guess I could have made it for 5:00 but I will have a drink before I eat anyway:classic_smile:.  Hoping everything goes smoothly.  Now it is the waiting game. I don't leave till next month.   Oh, I did get some really good news today. The price of my room at my hotel dropped by 175.00! Now that is a BIG savings!!!!:classic_biggrin:

Thank you to everyone who has contributed and answered my questions. I always appreciate help from folks on here:classic_smile:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I made my reservation with Open Table for Gallagher's.  I don't usually eat early but because of the show this will be special occasion.:classic_smile:  I booked for 4:45.  Not sure how long everything will take but I would rather be safe than sorry. The show starts at 7:00.  I guess I could have made it for 5:00 but I will have a drink before I eat anyway:classic_smile:.  Hoping everything goes smoothly.  Now it is the waiting game. I don't leave till next month.   Oh, I did get some really good news today. The price of my room at my hotel dropped by 175.00! Now that is a BIG savings!!!!:classic_biggrin:

Thank you to everyone who has contributed and answered my questions. I always appreciate help from folks on here:classic_smile:

I second the recommendation of Gallaghers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again folks:classic_smile:...……..I just realized my flight arrives at 2:15...…...I am guessing it will take at least an hour to get my bag and get a taxi to the hotel. I am staying down by the 9/11 Museum.  I have a 4:45 dinner reservation...…….for those of you who know the area, is this whole time thing going to be a "Big Rush"?  Would I be better off just eating dinner much closer to the hotel and then get a cab to the show? I am staying at The BEEKMAN and have dinner reservations at Gallagher's.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.  I fly to NY 3 weeks from TODAY:classic_smile:

33 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi again folks:classic_smile:...……..I just realized my flight arrives at 2:15...…...I am guessing it will take at least an hour to get my bag and get a taxi to the hotel. I am staying down by the 9/11 Museum.  I have a 4:45 dinner reservation...…….for those of you who know the area, is this whole time thing going to be a "Big Rush"?  Would I be better off just eating dinner much closer to the hotel and then get a cab to the show? I am staying at The BEEKMAN and have dinner reservations at Gallagher's.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.  I fly to NY 3 weeks from TODAY:classic_smile:

It would be too much of a rush for me. You're probably going to only have time for  a light dinner with the 7 pm curtain time for your show.

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It would be too much of a rush for me. You're probably going to only have time for  a light dinner with the 7 pm curtain time for your show.

I would have to agree , took over a hour to get bag last year even with first class who’s bags come out first, also had a long taxi line. We had. Reservations a couple of years ago at Becco and thought we had plenty of time and had to call to get a later time and we were in Times Square area. If you land early you might be able to make it. 

Thanks for your input. I am going to cancel my dinner reservation and just eat something at the hotel or close by.  Rushing has no appeal to me at all. After all my questions and everyone being so helpful.......oh well. I want to be able to relax a bit before seeing the show.  Thank you again.

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for your input. I am going to cancel my dinner reservation and just eat something at the hotel or close by.  Rushing has no appeal to me at all. After all my questions and everyone being so helpful.......oh well. I want to be able to relax bit before seeing the show. Thanks again.

Your hotel is fairly close to one of the  best restaurants in Manhattan ,One If by Land Two If By Sea and even closer to a landmark restaurant Fraunces Tavern.

There is dozens of restaurants mostly Irish pubs but others also about a block from Francis tavern , street is blocked off from traffic and picnic tables are in middle of street  with restaurants on both sides of the street. 

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Your hotel is fairly close to one of the  best restaurants in Manhattan ,One If by Land Two If By Sea and even closer to a landmark restaurant Fraunces Tavern.

Hi Lenny, thanks for the tips:classic_smile:  This forum is the best!  I will google them and see what looks good. I just didn't think about the timing until recently and to get to the hotel and then have to rush out for dinner? Just not something I want to do......