Rainy Season

MNmomof4

I'm planning a trip in 2020 and I have some concerns about rainy season. At first I was looking at the January 11 sailing and after some research I realized it was rainy season. I want to do 3 nights pre cruise and can only do a 7 night cruise unfortunately. May would be perfect but for some reason there are no sailings in may. As you all know, these are expensive trips and I would hate for it to rain most of the time. My other option is mid February or I could try Sept or Oct. Any comments on the weather? This forum has such good ideas and suggestions that I can't wait to book and start the real planning!

TIA for all your suggestions to this newbie.

We have cruised in October, November and December without any serious rain issues. One in Bora Bora it rained as we biked but it didn't hinder us with our day. We also sailed in June without issues. Have you considered doing a 10 day cruise and skip the 3 day pre cruise? I think you would get a better value with your visit. Most of the islands can be seen within the time allotted while cruising.

We have cruised in October, November and December without any serious rain issues. One in Bora Bora it rained as we biked but it didn't hinder us with our day. We also sailed in June without issues. Have you considered doing a 10 day cruise and skip the 3 day pre cruise? I think you would get a better value with your visit. Most of the islands can be seen within the time allotted while cruising.

Thanks for the input! OWB is on my bucket list and we have Hilton points to use. I also would like to acclimate to the time before we board.

The only time we sailed in so-called 'rainy season' was early April, and it was hotter and more humid than our other trips. Don't remember it raining much. A tropical downpour can happen any time of the year, but I realize there are weeks when it's stormy and rainy, but hard to predict when. It was also hotter and more humid when we were in the Societies in December. Too bad about May 2020, eh? I was disappointed too, since that would be a big anniversary for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed two weeks in Jan last year. The first week had one nice day and one ok day. Bora Bora was so bad that the ship cancelled all tenders. Papeete was so badly floored that people were using canoes on the streets and flights were diverted. The next week was quite ok.

Jan is hit and miss. If it is your one and only trip go another time.

I have gone several times in Oct and Nov. though only two cruises. The rest were land based. Once we were in a tropical depression so had lots of rain and wind but we were staying on land so did impact some activities. Think hiking in mud. But most all the others weren’t an issue. We snorkeled once in the rain on Bora Bora. I really like Being there in Oct.

I sailed two weeks in Jan last year. The first week had one nice day and one ok day. Bora Bora was so bad that the ship cancelled all tenders. Papeete was so badly floored that people were using canoes on the streets and flights were diverted. The next week was quite ok.

Jan is hit and miss. If it is your one and only trip go another time.

Thanks! That really helps me

Thanks! That really helps me

There are extremes as Emdee stated but it isn't the norm even in their summer months. I've been to FP at least 12 times between December - February, only one time was a prolonged bust. Personally I prefer the summer. Yes it is hotter, more humid and likely more rain but the trade off is more texture in the sky and the fauna is more colorful, the flowers are in bloom and the waterfalls flowing.

But ..... I would agree, if you think this is your only trip to this part of the world I would recommend a different time period. Remember so many only think they will go once, then they fall in love with the beauty and the lovely Polynesian people (the Tahitian flu) .... and then they need to return now and then ;)