Concerned about the condition of the Regatta

MomC

Can someone who has sailed on the Regatta RECENTLY please discuss the condition of the ship? I know the major redesign is coming in 2019, but I have booked an April, 2019 in a penthouse 2 category. I won’t go if the ship is allowed to deteriorate because of the upcoming redesign.

Also, do they have wi fi in the cabins or only in the computer room?

I am always so grateful to Cruise Critic people for their willingness to share their observations and advice.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate. I haven't been on Regatta recently but we've been on her more times than any other ship in the fleet, starting from when she was the R2 with Renaissance.

Oceania has always been meticulous in the upkeep of its ships. I personally don't like the planned "improvements" but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to sail on any of the "R" ships because of them. Frank Del Rio is not going to permit his line to "deteriorate".

Wifi is available in all cabins as well as public areas. It's often slow (although I haven't found it as slow as others complain, and I'm used to a cable connection at home).

Mura

We’re on the Regatta now, and I think it is in excellent condition, although it could use a little updating of the drapes and furniture. Overall, we like the traditional, old world feel of the ship. The crew is constantly performing maintenance to keep everything clean and working properly. This is also the nicest group of crew members we’ve ever encountered. I wouldn’t hesitate to book another cruise on the Regatta.

• Like 1

We’re on the Regatta now, and I think it is in excellent condition, although it could use a little updating of the drapes and furniture.

Can you clarify

Is the furniture & drapes in bad shape or is it personal opinion of the style of furniture/fabrics ?

Can you clarify

Is the furniture & drapes in bad shape or is it personal opinion of the style of furniture/fabrics ?

Just a meaningless personal opinion, but everything functions just fine, which is what’s really important. Considering the daily abuse, the furnishings are actually in amazing condition.

• Like 1

Just a meaningless personal opinion, but everything functions just fine, which is what’s really important. Considering the daily abuse, the furnishings are actually in amazing condition.

Thanks for clarifying

Some may take your first comments to mean the furniture is old & broken down maybe books holding up the beds or whatever they use at home when stuff gets old :evilsmile:

I was on the Regatta in August and, based on some of the reports here, I had some precruise reservations but they were unfounded. Like the earlier poster mentioned - based on the daily use/abuse the furnishings receive, they are in fine shape. Also had family with us who had never sailed on Oceania before and they were very impressed with the whole package! We've sailed on Oceania four times and been on variousR ships at least three times. I would gladly sail Regatta again with no hesitation. That said, I am looking forward to seeing her after dry dock with the new changes.

• Like 1

We were on Insignia just a few weeks ago and staff were continuing to do routine maintenance (painting elevator lobbies and touching up ships exterior) even though the ship is going into drydock in November for its transformation. Ship was in great shape.

I’m sure they will do likewise with Regatta and keep it looking as fresh as possible until it’s dry dock. Fabric, carpeting and color choices can date design to certain years (whether the decorating theme is traditional or modern) so those might look a bit dated (but still in good condition).

Thank you for your honest impressions. You have made me feel positive about the ship’s condition. This will be our second cruise on an R class ship. We love the size of the ship and the number of guests. Cruise critic people are the BEST!!😊

I was on Regatta for a week this past July and the ship was immaculate.

I sometimes wonder if some of the negative reviews posted on CC are written by shills for competitors.

NOT a shill.

I did think the maintenance was not up to standard on our past cruise in January.

Furniture and rugs in PH2 was worn.

Issues with A/C. Mold issue in some staterooms.

Toilet and bathroom issues

Patio door hard to open and would not close properly

Maintenance staff was great -- but too many issues that show that they are falling behind or stuff is just getting old. I was not alone in those complaints.

There were several mechanical/safety issues earlier in the year -- with a failure of a generator plus communication issues with the safety PA system. This caused loss of ports on two cruises. For the PA system Oceania had no spare parts on board.

There is always more maintenance being done in public areas -- as everyone is impacted by old and worn items.

There is a new ships Master on board and it is good to hear by some recent posters that thing are better.

BUT Regatta did have issues and do NOT appreciate the comment of Classiccruiser777

• 2 months later...

We are on the Regatta now and we couldn’t be happier with the condition of the ship and the service. This is day 4 and all the crew have been so friendly and welcoming. Personally I love the look of the Regatta and hate to see it “modernized”. We have sailed on the Marina and definitely prefer the smaller ships. The food has been very good also. After reading the complaints on here before we sailed, I was a bit apprehensive. I am happy to say that I do not understand the comments about “tired looking”, “dark decor”, unsatisfactory service, etc.  I have to assume that some people are hard to please. We are having a wonderful time!

2 hours ago, Starlaker said:

We are on the Regatta now and we couldn’t be happier with the condition of the ship and the service. This is day 4 and all the crew have been so friendly and welcoming. Personally I love the look of the Regatta and hate to see it “modernized”. We have sailed on the Marina and definitely prefer the smaller ships. The food has been very good also. After reading the complaints on here before we sailed, I was a bit apprehensive. I am happy to say that I do not understand the comments about “tired looking”, “dark decor”, unsatisfactory service, etc.  I have to assume that some people are hard to please. We are having a wonderful time!

Nice to hear some positive comments about Regatta. 

• 2 months later...

I am on the Regatta right now (Feb. 6, 2019). The ship is great!  We are very happy with it. I asked at the front desk about when it is going into drydock. There are several dates floating around Cruise Critic. I have confirmed it is going into DD in September, after the Alaskan cruise season, for 16 days. Then 2 days at sea to get to its first cruise after DD. 

Service is is still impeccable. The food is great. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Enjoy your cruise!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, newbiewaves said:

Considering booking a Regatta cruise in 2020. One observation from images are there enough sun loungers for sea days for passengers as they only seem to be around the pool. Is it a case of rising at 4 am to baggy one? 

Deck 11  have a lot of lounges  but if you want to be close to the pool  there are still quite a few there

If you want to use one at 4 am I am sure it will be fine  but  if you are gone for  1 hr  it will be also 😉

Thanks. The deck deck plan i saw had a lot of nothing on deck 11 other than golf and shuffleboard. Just considering if going for a balcony would be a better bet if the sun loungers on deck are a rugby scrum or towels at dawn and how this practice is policed if at all.

Never once had a problem finding a lounge chair, regardless if I wanted sun or shade. Always found one without a problem. Just wish the smokers section was farther away from the pool. Otherwise, loved our cruise!  Jan. 30th- February 16th on Regstta around New Zealand. 

Just now, newbiewaves said:

Thanks. The deck deck plan i saw had a lot of nothing on deck 11 other than golf and shuffleboard. Just considering if going for a balcony would be a better bet if the sun loungers on deck are a rugby scrum or towels at dawn and how this practice is policed if at all.

The  deck crew try to police the chair hogs  but if you notice  chairs with stuff on & no people  for  more than 30 mins  mention it to a crew member

I usually give them 1 hr   but some people  take advantage

One guy put his bag & drinks on the lounger  then we saw him going ashore

he came back several hours later  to find his stuff moved ...the deck person moved them