Port Fatigue - Caribbean

watson61

In addition to port fatigue, I get a similar experience when trying to find a cruise to book. So many of the same cookie cutter itineraries. (especially the OASIS class ships :( ) We are so excited for our first ABC cruise in March! New islands and a nice long cruise.

That is why the choice of ship is SO important to us. We treasure our time at the islands, but most of the time on a cruise is spent on the ship so I want to insure I like the one we're going to sail on.

I think after this upcoming ABC cruise we'll either look at doing that again or looking at Celebrity again which has alternate itineraries to islands we haven't been to.

Dan

I'm going on #20 in November (but still have not made it onto an Oasis class yet). Its precisely because Oasis class have such limiting itineraries is why i haven't gone on them. I've been to places Oasis classes seem to only go many many times and feel like i want more from a cruise.

The thing I've found is that with each port, even old ones like Cozumel, and Nassau, there's always something there, and sometimes, things can be repeated. (I've been to Coba twice on a cruise, and loved it, i've been to Tulum twice and loved it). I'm not wowwed by the ports anymore, but there's still always something new there. Shoot, you find new things in your own town all the time, its inconceivable that a town in another country wouldn't change things up in the same fashion. New tours can be found. New restaurants can be tried, new foods, drinks, etc. The hard part is finding it, but its there. What happens to me, is the more often I go to these ports, the less likely i'm going to do an excursion.

With as many repeat destination cruises as we've been on, we still haven't gotten to this point. We take it as a challenge to find something new to do each time. Haven't been disappointed yet. Of course, we are also exploring various itineraries, to switch it up a little. Looking forward to my stop in St Maarten in December, we've been there close to a dozen times. Never gets old.

My next Caribbean cruises are next November and I will get off at every port. The only one I'd reconsider staying on the ship is Nassau but I haven't been there in years so it would be nice to check out what's new.
I'm home there is nothing new in Nassau. In fact for shopping there is less and some of the resorts that used to allow day passes no longer do. The only reason I got off this summer was to buy Bahamian cotten dresses for my young grand daughters. Found them first in an alley store for 25.00 and passed. A shop girl told me to go to the Straw Market..... I said I would never go there again but found them and after haggle paid 2 for 27.00....but I still don't think I will ever have a reason to get off the ship again (moral, never say never [emoji3] [emoji6] )

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

I like sea days on ships with a flowrider, so I am ok with any itinerary, but my DW likes the ports, and therefore, we go to Caribbean in spurts, until she gets tired of them, then we fly around the world to see new places. We are currently in that phase. Although, we are doing a TA again next month, but we are going to drive around the south of France for a week pre-cruise, so that will be like getting new ports for her, and a flowrider for me. We are finishing up an Alaska cruise right now, so no port fatigue, although seeing more bears or whales for a bit is not going to be a hot ticket for us.

JC

Port Fatigue is a (ridiculous) state of mind. I could literally go to Nassau every single week and smile. It's like saying "Disney" fatigue because it's in the same spot in Florida. Or "beach" fatigue when you live close to a beach. I mean, how often are you actually in these ports? Even if several times per year, you can't find happiness by spending a few days a YEAR at an awesome beach/resort? Lol. Come on!

We are coming up on our 11th cruise. We have only repeated 3 ports, and 1 of those was Labadee. We have only repeated one cruise ship, Explorer, 3 different itineraries. The only repeat departure ports are Bayonne and our up coming Miami departure.

As Merion Mom suggested, explore different parts of the world. Don't limit yourself to one ship or one intinerary.

No fatigue here.

We are also a little tired of Nassau, San Juan, and Labadee. However, I now look at Shore Excursions Group for tours wherever we sail, becuse they give an additional 10% off for Costco members. They have 12 excursions in Nassau between $40 - $60 per person BEFORE the Costco discount.

Sometimes, just getting a fresh look at what's available can help.

In addition to port fatigue, I get a similar experience when trying to find a cruise to book. So many of the same cookie cutter itineraries. (especially the OASIS class ships :( ) We are so excited for our first ABC cruise in March! New islands and a nice long cruise.

That is why the choice of ship is SO important to us. We treasure our time at the islands, but most of the time on a cruise is spent on the ship so I want to insure I like the one we're going to sail on.

I think after this upcoming ABC cruise we'll either look at doing that again or looking at Celebrity again which has alternate itineraries to islands we haven't been to.

Dan

Next time, click on the "repositioning" desitnation. Some very interesting itineraries offered.

Example: the Jewel next March/April is going from San Diego to Florida to Rome in two cruises.

The Adventure is going from the Caribbean up the East Coast and into Nova Scotia next April/May.

Look at repositioing, which tend to run less expensive, and then look at the cruise before or after the repositioning. Usually a variety of ports.

Omg I feel the same way! Some ports are seemingly on every other itinerary! No matter how nice it might be it gets to the point that it is the same old same old!

I am looking for something new!

Know what you mean. How many times can you go to st Martin if you’re not a beach person. We love staying aboard. Ship is quiet. Drinks and food are free albeit with a beverage package. Can sit by the pool. Take a dip every so often. Great.

• Like 1

Nassau: Fight the "old and boring" state of mind.

Greycliff - SO MANY different offerings - http://www.graycliff.com/experiences/

Junkanoo Beach - walk from the ship. Walk all the way down to Arawak Cay. So many bars, and then restaurants with local cuisine.

Visit a rum distillery! http://www.johnwatlings.com/

Go on a walking food tour and learn about cuisine, shopping and history! https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

I would probably say that it just depends how I'm feeling when the ship actually pulls into the port... Typically, if I am cruising solo, I am more likely to stay on the ship in Cozumel, but might get off to wander the port for an hour before hitting the Windjammer and passing out by the pool for the afternoon...

On the other hand, though I have been to Cozumel MANY times, I took someone on their first cruise in December, where Cozumel was the only port - we ended up visiting Chichen Itza and didn't get back on the ship until 5:00ish, both of us had a great time!

TLDR: Just depends on my mood that day :)

Hi I am new to cruising and decided to try RC as my first cruise but was not too sure if I would enjoy it (seasick, bored, etc...) so decided on a 3 nights cruise on Mariner of the seas with just 2 ports CocoCay and Nassau. Since its my first cruise I wanted to get off at both ports and Cococay was so fun had a blast but Nassau was so-so...still had a great time though but maybe next time I will decide to stay on at Nassau port to explore more of the ship (3 nights was not enough :( ) I heard Cozumel was beautiful and now that I am addicted to cruising for my vacations I do want to try an oasis class ship

Yes, I do not get off the ship in Nassau or Freeport. Those are about the only ports I do that with though. Even in most other ports though, I really just get off and look around. I cruise for the ships and do not care much for the ports.

I'm wondering how many of you long-time cruisers stay on the ship when the port is one you've been to many many times. I'm at that point with St. Maarten, Nassau and Labadee. I recently went on Allure with family and had a great time, but I was tempted to stay onboard at St. Maarten and Labadee. My family had never been to those ports so I got off with them, but next time I don't think I will.

Allure is a party all on its own so it's not like I would've been bored.

We LOVE our islands! the only one we really don't get off much is Nassau as we don't really care for it. But LOVE SMX and Labadee, just perfect beach days!

Nassau: Fight the "old and boring" state of mind.

Junkanoo Beach - walk from the ship. Walk all the way down to Arawak Cay. So many bars, and then restaurants with local cuisine.

/

if we do get off in Nassau, the only thing we do is walk to Junkanoo and spend the day at the beach. But we only do that in like Aug/Sept. During the Nov-Feb months, we don't even bother to get off, just treat it as another sea day.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 10:32 AM, watson61 said:

I'm wondering how many of you long-time cruisers stay on the ship when the port is one you've been to many many times. I'm at that point with St. Maarten, Nassau and Labadee. I recently went on Allure with family and had a great time, but I was tempted to stay onboard at St. Maarten and Labadee. My family had never been to those ports so I got off with them, but next time I don't think I will.

Allure is a party all on its own so it's not like I would've been bored.

We also suffer from Caribbean port fatigue.  We have been to them all, on cruises and a few at resorts.   We do get off for about 30 minutes.  Walk around, visit the tee shirt shops then go back aboard.  The pool area is not empty but the choice of lounge chairs is yours. Quiet, easy to get a drink.  Take a dip now and then.   Have a relaxing lunch without all the hysteria.