Temperature when cruising Southampton to Azores

dcac2

We are departing in a couple weeks out of Southampton and will be at sea for a couple days. Can anyone tell me what the temperature will be like? Cool = wear a sweater weather? or warm enough to lie around the pool? In between?

We did this cruise or very similar last year.

From Southampton to Spain it was bright but cool and breezy. We were lucky that the sea was relatively calm. I did take sea sick meds’ first day, I am not the best of sailors.

When in port in the Azores, Madeira and in Lisbon it was warm and pool usable. The weather was sunny and shorts and T shirts were fine for excursions. However, between the mainland and the Azores we had breezes and some quite thick fog! Strictly Solarium swimming!

Inside the ship was always warm. During the sea days if I was sat on the balcony (even with the sun on me) I tended to wear a light fleece.

So pack in layers, along with your shorts and T shirts pack a lightweight fleece or cardigan. Although you may encounter rain in the Azores or Portugal you would probably find a raincoat too warm so just pack one of those throw away ponchos for excursions ‘just in case’.

It is a lovely relaxing pre winter cruise, I hope you enjoy!

All I can say is that the weather has been excellent this year, but it’s now starting to cool down, so take a sweater.

In 2016 we did a TA to Canada from Southampton. The Captain took a southerly route towards the Azores as we would have been in the path of a tropical storm otherwise. It is the one and only time that I have been near the Azores, but I am looking forward to our next cruise, which actually visits Ponta del Grada.

Thanks for the great information! I had a feeling that I should pack something to keep warm...just in case. And with our ever-changing weather patterns, you just never know! Fingers/toes crossed for sunshine & calm seas (yn)

Thanks for the great information! I had a feeling that I should pack something to keep warm...just in case. And with our ever-changing weather patterns, you just never know! Fingers/toes crossed for sunshine & calm seas (yn)

Be prepared for temperature in the 60’s in Southampton and the first sea days will not be warm. The further south you go , the warmer the temperature will get. Don’t expect scorching temperatures but shorts and t shirt will be fine off ship. Be prepared for wet weather.

Be prepared for temperature in the 60’s in Southampton and the first sea days will not be warm. The further south you go , the warmer the temperature will get. Don’t expect scorching temperatures but shorts and t shirt will be fine off ship. Be prepared for wet weather.

Good to know, but even the 60’s sound good to me! We woke up to 10° C this morning (that’s 50° F) brrr