NOT QUITE LIVE! — MS Zuiderdam — NYC to QC

*Miss G*

Thanks everyone!

Turtle, we were also told to “plan accordingly.” I’m glad you were able to! I did think about everyone currently on board. I’m sure it’s just as annoying and challenging for those who are disembarking.

Well now here’s a twist.

Hurricane Florence.

I didn’t really want to report from Hurricane Central, but it’s sounding more and more like that may be a possibility. Personally, I feel I get more than my fair share of excitement in life. The purpose of this trip was peace and relaxation. But who am I to deny that a little bit of panic and fear doesn’t make one appreciate, and maybe even enhance, the quiet times?

Current projected wave height: 40 feet.

Better check my motion sickness supply.

Turtle, we were also told to “plan accordingly.” I’m glad you were able to! I did think about everyone currently on board. I’m sure it’s just as annoying and challenging for those who are disembarking.

Thank you. I have to say, given that we were all on a ship (in Greenland no less), with limited resources for “planning accordingly,” I found that language rather off-putting (especially coupled with the lack of offer of any assistance; not everyone on board has an internet package). This is by no means our first cruise, but it’s our first on HAL, and as I evaluate the pluses and minuses, that letter is one of the latter.

I’m glad you have worked thIngs out for NY, and congrats on your Neptune suite, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

BTW, the crew are terrific, and the food in the MDR is quite good. And, weather permitting, the Captain opens the bow for sail aways, which is a big plus.

Speaking of weather, we too are having to keep an eye out on Hurricane Florence. Not the way to end — or start — a voyage. Let’s hope Florence stays at sea, but not on top of any cruise ships!

Really enjoying your live thread, *Miss G*.

Congrats on the upsell.

Sorry to hear about your pier change but it will be kind of neat to be opposite the Statue of Liberty.

We too are watching Florence. :( I hope she stays far out to sea and away from your cruise itinerary and the Atlantic Coast.

A couple of suggestions from a Cunarder; I hope one of the other might be of some help..

These people have a generally good reputation on the Cunard forum, although always be prepared for something to go wrong. I used them once from Manhattan and was very satisfied, and they know where the Red Hook terminal is (Many taxi drivers seem not to):

We always use Arecibo. See : http://www.arecibocc.com/rates.php

Always very reasonable, and locally based in Brooklyn.

Stewart

There's also a new ferry line from Downtown Manhattan Pier 11 to the dock in Red Hook, about 100 yards from the terminal. Depending on how heavily loaded you are, it with a taxi to Pier 11 might be an option.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2547314&highlight=ferry

Don't let a rocky start dampen your cruise too much.

Roy

• Like 1

Thank you. I have to say, given that we were all on a ship (in Greenland no less), with limited resources for “planning accordingly,” I found that language rather off-putting (especially coupled with the lack of offer of any assistance; not everyone on board has an internet package). This is by no means our first cruise, but it’s our first on HAL, and as I evaluate the pluses and minuses, that letter is one of the latter.

I’m glad you have worked thIngs out for NY, and congrats on your Neptune suite, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

BTW, the crew are terrific, and the food in the MDR is quite good. And, weather permitting, the Captain opens the bow for sail aways, which is a big plus.

Speaking of weather, we too are having to keep an eye out on Hurricane Florence. Not the way to end — or start — a voyage. Let’s hope Florence stays at sea, but not on top of any cruise ships!

Turtle, I hope this doesn’t put you off HAL! It was, after all, Carnival’s fault. ;p

Thanks for the ship climate report. A happy crew is one of the things I love about HAL. Getting to go on the bow would be awesome! I’ve never done it and hope to experience it. Thanks for letting me know!

I hope that Florence doesn’t impact your arrival plans!

Really enjoying your live thread, *Miss G*.

Congrats on the upsell.

Sorry to hear about your pier change but it will be kind of neat to be opposite the Statue of Liberty.

We too are watching Florence. :( I hope she stays far out to sea and away from your cruise itinerary and the Atlantic Coast.

Thanks Kazu! I agree about the Statue of Liberty. Always interested in new adventures.

A couple of suggestions from a Cunarder; I hope one of the other might be of some help..

These people have a generally good reputation on the Cunard forum, although always be prepared for something to go wrong. I used them once from Manhattan and was very satisfied, and they know where the Red Hook terminal is (Many taxi drivers seem not to):

There's also a new ferry line from Downtown Manhattan Pier 11 to the dock in Red Hook, about 100 yards from the terminal. Depending on how heavily loaded you are, it with a taxi to Pier 11 might be an option.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2547314&highlight=ferry

Don't let a rocky start dampen your cruise too much.

Roy

Thank you so much for that helpful information Roy! That was very nice of you. Hmm. A ferry directly to the terminal. That sounds intriguing. We do love a good adventure.

Thanks so much for doing a review!! We sailed the Zuiderdam several years ago with the family at thanksgiving...I always thought it was one of the "happiest ships" I've ever sailed...

Here in NC...with a place at the coast...we are also watching Florence....hoping she fades out and doesn't cause too much damage anywhere!!

Have a wonderful cruise...really enjoying your reports:)

Thanks so much for doing a review!! We sailed the Zuiderdam several years ago with the family at thanksgiving...I always thought it was one of the "happiest ships" I've ever sailed...

Here in NC...with a place at the coast...we are also watching Florence....hoping she fades out and doesn't cause too much damage anywhere!!

Have a wonderful cruise...really enjoying your reports:)

Thank you JB! My in-laws are also in NC so if it impacts them it will impact us. I am reaaallly hoping it doesn’t.

Pack a bathing suit. If Florence will in fact hug the east coast all the way up to the Canadian Martines, you may end up in Bermuda instead of Canada. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NOOOOOOOOO :loudcry:

I can’t hear you. I can’t hear you. La la la la la.

This routine will probably sound familiar:

Take your dry cleaning to the cleaners. Get your hair and nails done. Pay your bills. Water your plants. Stop buying groceries. Call loved ones to say goodbye. Put Birthday and Get Well cards in the mail.

*takes a sharp right turn*

One thing I have noticed, as the years pass, is that my Get Well Card budget has increased. The rise in cost of Get Wells has been offset by the decrease in Birthday Greetings so, really, not a huge impact to the bottom line.

Today is get-your-nails-done day. I feel the need to walk a lot, prior to, so the foot massage will feel even better. I like to maximize my experience.

Thank you so much for that helpful information Roy! That was very nice of you. Hmm. A ferry directly to the terminal. That sounds intriguing. We do love a good adventure.

He is ALWAYS a treasure-trove of good information! Congratulations on the awesome NS upsell.

Roy is the master of logistics. I've been following him for years and he can turn anything into a sensible route.

He's got a whole Phileas Fogg thing going on.

So I was sitting, relaxing, getting my pedicure, when a lovely rendition of the Titanic theme song, on pan flute, comes through the sound system. Well isn’t that a coincidence. I’m going on a ship! The melody was very well done, very pretty, and very haunting. (No pun intended.)

Pedi done and I am now at the mani station. Kenny G’s rendition of the same song comes on. Well that’s weird, thinks I. Not a big fan of Kenny G either. I’m starting to dislike this song.

Finishing up, on comes Celine Dion with... you guessed it... the theme from Titanic. Now this is just downright creepy.

Sometimes you can’t make this stuff up.

Pardon my ignorance :o but can someone tell me what an upsell is? Is it like a visit from the upgrade fairy?

I think an upsell is when you are offered a higher category cabin but you pay the extra, so they might send an email for instance for $299.00 per person you can get upgraded from say oceanview to a veranda. The upgrade fairy is when you get a free upgrade we booked inside guarantee and got free upgrade to ocean view.