Cruise Critic Community
molole

Isaac

It is official now, TD 9 just became Isaac. Lesser Antilles are currently in its path.

two_atl_5d0.png

205358.png

Hurricane Isaac? As in Love Boat's Ted Lange?

I'm worried because my upcoming cruise is through the Southern Caribbean.

I'm sitting in the DFW airport waiting for my flight to San Juan. Supposed to be on the Carnival Fascination heading straight for a meeting with Isaac. I wonder which direction they will send us. I'm hoping for the ABCs.

Sorry you guys are pondering cruises. If you tell me the ship and sailing date I will try to comment on storm path relative to your sailings.

Forecast for two days now has been straight down the 15n parallel which places Dominica (hit hard a few years ago), Guadaloupe, and Martinique.

We would typically expect some deflection and a turn to the NW at some point, but the models show continued west - which would be GOOD... pass south of the big islands and Jamaica please... and fizzle out before reaching Central America. Isaac, are you listening?

Sorry you guys are pondering cruises. If you tell me the ship and sailing date I will try to comment on storm path relative to your sailings.

Forecast for two days now has been straight down the 15n parallel which places Dominica (hit hard a few years ago), Guadaloupe, and Martinique.

We would typically expect some deflection and a turn to the NW at some point, but the models show continued west - which would be GOOD... pass south of the big islands and Jamaica please... and fizzle out before reaching Central America. Isaac, are you listening?

Bill, I have always wondered, usually how wide does the highest category wind reach? Is it only around the eye? If so, does it make a very big difference if the eye itself passes between islands?

I mean, if the eye does not hit any island but passes between, say, Dominica and Guadalupe, will the damage be much much less severe?

Pelican,

What do you think about Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan on Saturday the 15th. Scheduled to fly into San Juan Thursday the 13th at 12:40pm

Thank You

Gosh, seems Isaac will be a problem for those sailing to that area of the Caribbean.

Always the chance you take when cruising in hurricane/tropical storm season ....

Isaac just reached hurricane strength and makes there three hurricanes simultaneously in the Atlantic at the moment. The hope is unfavorite conditions will weaken Isaac back to tropical storm strength before it reaches the islands, many of which are still recovering from last year and the last thing they need is another cyclone.

025259_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

two_atl_2d0.png

Isaac continues fairly reliably to models and forecasts today (Monday morning.) It has made hurricane category 1 status. we've seen the first cruise itinerary change (posted alongside in this board - Carnival Vista). We'll see more I am sure.

Forecast to be category 1 and hit the islands mid day Thursday.

On the predicted path just north of latitude 15N these islands are in danger: Dominica, Guadeloupe, and especially the small islands between, Grande Anse and Marie-Galante. I hope they are evacuating these islands. It will be hard enough on Dominica, hit by TS Erika and Hurricane Maria, and Guadeloupe.

Montserrat, Martinique, and St. Lucia may also have some impact depending on strength and speed of the storm.

The path is not certain, so all these islands are still at risk, and the storm could make category 2 before landfall, as there is some shear that hard to predict.

According to Nhc very small storm, hurricane force winds only extend 10 miles out from the eye. Tropical storm force winds 45 miles out from the center. Let’s hope it misses all the islands.

Carnival Breeze, Sep 16 - 30, please and thank you Bill!!

Caribbean Princess on right now, Captain announced a complete overhaul of our itinerary after tomorrow due to Isaac. No longer going to the Saints. Instead diverted to San Juan, Grand Turk and Nassau. My first diversion in 5 summer Caribbean cruises so can't be too crabby. Just hope everyone on those gorgeous islands stays safe.

September 16 oasis from Port Canaveral. From the map on weather channel looks like on Sunday it will be leaving the eastern Caribbean. Do u think the ship will be able to get in to Port Canaveral early Sunday?

We r heading to Florida tomorrow due the hurricane coming here. Don’t want to miss the ship. But now hoping the ship gets in.

Carnival fascination 9/16-9/23. Scheduled to fly into San Juan 9/15

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also on the Fascination 9/16-9/23. We are also flying in to San Juan on 9/15 from Charlotte.

We are also on the Fascination 9/16-9/23. We are also flying in to San Juan on 9/15 from Charlotte.

So far it looks like the storm has pretty close to the same itinerary as our cruise! Lol! If our cruise gets diverted i don’t really care where we end up going as long as I can get to PR safely and on time.

The good news on Tuesday is Isaac has weakened, and is forecast to stay no worse than a Tropical Storm and keep moving west. That will keep it out of the way for the next 5 days. Could be a concern for Jamaica or points farther west but I will be surprised if it holds together that far. If it does, the models are being of no help. Perhaps it will start to turn and cross Jamaica and Cuba. Maybe not. Stay tuned.

So far it looks like the storm has pretty close to the same itinerary as our cruise! Lol! If our cruise gets diverted i don’t really care where we end up going as long as I can get to PR safely and on time.

Like you, my biggest concern is getting to PR. The ship can take hubby and I just about anywhere and we'll be happy.

Good news around Isaac. It is expected to further weaken and maybe even dissipate in a few days, continuing west. Should not have any impact on the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Jamaica,etc. Path is still same as the last few days, so same islands are going to go through some rough weather but not devastating weather.

For all the uncertainty in Isaac's forecasts the last 5 days, it has been very striaght and narrow. Expect it to cotinue west and weaken to a depression soon. It will be a rain and wind event in Jamaica Monday and then not much left.

It has stayed right on course to cross Dominica this morning.

For all the uncertainty in Isaac's forecasts the last 5 days, it has been very striaght and narrow. Expect it to cotinue west and weaken to a depression soon. It will be a rain and wind event in Jamaica Monday and then not much left.

It has stayed right on course to cross Dominica this morning.

Thank you for the update! My heart breaks for that poor island! Hopefully this storm won’t be too devastating since they’re just getting back on their feet from last year.

I am hoping we can still visit the island and help them out with some tourist dollars!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about Carnival Glory Sept 22-29? It's a Western Caribbean cruise which includes stops in Belize and Honduras, which seem to be directly in the predicted path. Thanks!