Stingray city tour companies

teacher95

I found Stringray City a bit rushed too peroorim. Also the other thing that I was disappointed in was that their website advertises that they will take picture of you with the stingrays (for a fee of course) so I didn't take my camera. No pictures were taken. Our boat operator got into a shouting match with another boat operator when he was trying to anchor at Stingray City

I decided to go with Rowan Watersports.  They did a pretty good job.  Took lots of pictures that turned out really good.  The boat ride was comfortable with water and juice provided.  The boat also had a bathroom, which was nice.  We were a bit late leaving so we arrived when there were multiple other boats already there so most of the stingrays were elsewhere.  The stingray handler was good to go and find a couple that we could touch and hold.  Also had the opportunity to feed them.  They also took us to a spot to snorkel and provided equipment.  

Teacher95

We also used Rowan Watersports.  We decided to use them based on their positive reviews on tripadvisor and their departure time (we had to check in at 9, leave at 9:30 and they would drop us back off at the public beach for an hour prior to us needing to get back to port).  They were very easy to find, right inside the cruise port area.  We checked in at 9 and walked around for a bit and left shortly after 9:30am.  The trip to the boat took longer than expected due to there being a miscommunication between guests needed to be picked up at another location and where the driver was told they should be.  It did take longer than it should have, but I also thought that if it were us needing to get picked up it was nice to see they were making sure they got everyone they were suppose to.

The trip itself was good, we were also a little late getting to the sand bar but we seemed to squeeze in and the staff were able to show us the stingrays and we did purchase the pictures from them.  A little pricey but in the end they were much better than what we got with our own cameras.  We also stopped at the coral gardens for snorkeling.  The trip for us was just long enough, as we had two children.  I did end up leaving my phone behind on the boat and we called right away but did not get it back.  I do not want to blame the boat operator as another guest on the boat (42 people total) could have easily grabbed it.  

If we went back we would not hesitate to use Rowan watersports again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also trying to decide on the right company to use for a Stingray City visit.  We will be on the Celebrity Equinox and our port times are 10 - 6.  I've contacted Captain Marvin and got a response that we could do a 1:45 2 stop tour.  I am concerned by what I've read on CC that the lines to get back on board can be very long/slow.  Anyone else done an afternoon tour who can tell me how the timing worked?  Also looking at Stingray City but just emailed them.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

we went to the public beach which is next to Calico Jacks.  The beach was very nice but the experience was not the best.  Even though we were only there for an hour, they still charged us $20 for two chairs and an umbrella.  We bought a few sodas from the bar and I think they over charged me for that too.  $20 for 3 juices and 2 iced teas was not what was posted on the menu. 

To get back to the port we were going to take a public bus, which looks exactly like the buses except they have red/green or yellow signs on the front.  You just have to walk on the side of the road that they travel on and they will stop and pick you up.  The taxi is $3 per person.  While we were walking to the road there was a taxi that ended up taking us to the port since I think he was going there anyway and he wanted the fare.  He gave it to us for $3 per person.  The regular cab rate is $5 per per I think.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:17 PM, hummer88 said:

we went to the public beach which is next to Calico Jacks.  The beach was very nice but the experience was not the best.  Even though we were only there for an hour, they still charged us $20 for two chairs and an umbrella.  We bought a few sodas from the bar and I think they over charged me for that too.  $20 for 3 juices and 2 iced teas was not what was posted on the menu. 

The prices for the chair/umbrella rentals are per day, there's no hourly rates.  I would have skipped renting them if you were only going to be there an hour.

The menu would have listed prices in Cayman dollars.  $1 US = $0.80 Cayman.  Your $20 US was only worth $16 Cayman, so that's where the difference lies.  $16 CI for 5 non-alcoholic drinks sounds about right at a tourist spot along the beach.

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

The prices for the chair/umbrella rentals are per day, there's no hourly rates.  I would have skipped renting them if you were only going to be there an hour.

The menu would have listed prices in Cayman dollars.  $1 US = $0.80 Cayman.  Your $20 US was only worth $16 Cayman, so that's where the difference lies.  $16 CI for 5 non-alcoholic drinks sounds about right at a tourist spot along the beach.

Thank you for replying.  It actually makes me feel better about it now.  I did not realize the different currencies which makes perfect sense.  We loved the island itself, it was our second time there but first at the public beach.  I was just thinking that the public beach took advantage of people in port for the day, which they do to a certain extent, and I understand that.  

We would have skipped the umbrella, but we had just finished being in the sun for 4 hours and needed a little shade for those who needed it.  

Acquarius Tours! Honestly one of the best excursions I have ever done in over 20 cruises. It was a small group (15-ish) and we did the starfish beach, a snorkeling spot, and Stringray City. But we did Stingray City LAST so there was no one else there - it was amazing

• 4 weeks later...

Highly recommend Stingraysailing.com    They have a beautiful catamaran.  They only take 1/2 the passengers that their boat holds.  Plenty of time with the rays and snorkeling.  They have very good quality equipment.  It is so relaxing sailing on the catamaran with no crowds.  We've gone with them many times.  Chip will make sure you have a great day!

We booked with Fat Fish Adventures.  We had a total of 9 people and essentially got a private tour doing Stingray City, snorkeling, and Starfish Point.  Drinks (alcoholic & nonalcoholic) included and both guys were AMAZING with taking pictures, helping us in/out, getting the kids to hold the stingrays, etc.  Dropped us at Caribbean Kitchen near the cruise port to have lunch and shop for remaining 2 hrs on the island.  Definitely in our top 3 excursions so far!

We did our tour with Capt. Marvin in April.  Had a great time, late guests put us a bit behind but everyone got their time with the stingrays, no one was ever rushed.  They accommodated our friends who asked to go at the last minute.  Also they really seemed to stress safety first.  I only have positive things to say about it.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 5:36 PM, Beachiekeen said:

We did our tour with Capt. Marvin in April.  Had a great time, late guests put us a bit behind but everyone got their time with the stingrays, no one was ever rushed.  They accommodated our friends who asked to go at the last minute.  Also they really seemed to stress safety first.  I only have positive things to say about it.

We ended up booking with Captain Marvin for our cruise in June. Timing worked best with out hours in port - 10-6 on the Equinox. We are going in the afternoon so hope to check out a beach for a bit first thing. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking for a recommendation on which company gives the most time at stingray city. I have done it twice and it is my #1 most fun thing I have done in my life. So I am looking for whoever will give me the longest time there. I have been dreaming of being with "my" stingrays again for years now.

I do not remember who we used last time, not through Carnival. It started storming after we went to the stingrays while we were at a beach break...they left, there was 0 visibility, very rough and no navigation on board. They were straining to "see" if we were about to hit something. First time in my life I thought i might die LOL. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 9:44 PM, teacher95 said:

Just curious if there is a list of reputable companies that offer excursions to Stingray City on the forum somewhere. Trying to do some research to find one that fits our time in Grand Cayman and our family. If it obvious, sorry for missing it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Captain Marvins is the oldest and IMO the best tour operator for stingray and snorkeling in GC.  I have booked with him on every tour since the early 90s that stops there.  

Edited by caugh51654

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 10:31 AM, MAKINGWAVES said:

Trying to find an excursion on a boat that has steps going down into the water for stringray city. Carnival has their contract with marineland  tours that has a boat like this. I'm having a very hard time trying to book it. Maybe you know of another tour operator that has a simular boat??

I need this, too. Any recommendations?