Car Hire in Melbourne

punkinlr

I’m in Melbourne now on business (from Sydney). Hook turns I dodge as much as possible, but the teams are the real worry when driving [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Damn auto type - trams not teams [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Lee Ann. Melbourne is just a really nice city, great vibe. I always go to the Queen Vic markets and there's great shopping in the city. I don't go often enough to recommended restaurants but if you like Italian try Lygon Street in Carlton. You can walk there from the city. Tram it to st kilda, see the beach and check out the amazing cake shops there. I can't remember what month you were looking at but if you have any interest in sport an AFL match is a must.

I live in Canberra so am biased but it's worth a visit. While the shrine in Melbourne is a meaningful monument, the war memorial in Canberra is a totally different thing. I'd say it is our number 1 attraction and you could spend a whole day there, they have so many exhibitions. The good thing about Canberra attractions is that they are almost all free because they are in the capital. My second recommendation would be Parliament House.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Forums mobile app

Hi Lee Ann. Melbourne is just a really nice city, great vibe. I always go to the Queen Vic markets and there's great shopping in the city. I don't go often enough to recommended restaurants but if you like Italian try Lygon Street in Carlton. You can walk there from the city. Tram it to st kilda, see the beach and check out the amazing cake shops there. I can't remember what month you were looking at but if you have any interest in sport an AFL match is a must.

I live in Canberra so am biased but it's worth a visit. While the shrine in Melbourne is a meaningful monument, the war memorial in Canberra is a totally different thing. I'd say it is our number 1 attraction and you could spend a whole day there, they have so many exhibitions. The good thing about Canberra attractions is that they are almost all free because they are in the capital. My second recommendation would be Parliament House.

Re a visit to Canberra to visit the Australian War Memorial. Our last trip there we spent a whole day at the AWM and still didn't see it all to our satisfaction. We have been a number of times and always find something new to see. My point in suggesting the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne was that to do a side trip to Canberra, to do it justice you really need to spend at least two but I think four days there. As Leigh Ann and her husband want to see many things in Melbourne and surrounding areas, their eleven days is going to be pushing it to make a trip to Canberra as well.

The history of the Shrine of Remembrance - after WW1, to help the grieving people of Victoria cope with the loss of over 19000 during the war there was a push to build a monument to honour these men and women who didn't return from the Great War. The people of Victoria raised enough money and a design was chosen from entries from Australian architects and artists. It was opened in 1934 by the Duke of Glousester, the son of King George V officially opened the Shrine in 1934.

Leigh

Re a visit to Canberra to visit the Australian War Memorial. Our last trip there we spent a whole day at the AWM and still didn't see it all to our satisfaction. We have been a number of times and always find something new to see. My point in suggesting the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne was that to do a side trip to Canberra, to do it justice you really need to spend at least two but I think four days there. As Leigh Ann and her husband want to see many things in Melbourne and surrounding areas, their eleven days is going to be pushing it to make a trip to Canberra as well.

The history of the Shrine of Remembrance - after WW1, to help the grieving people of Victoria cope with the loss of over 19000 during the war there was a push to build a monument to honour these men and women who didn't return from the Great War. The people of Victoria raised enough money and a design was chosen from entries from Australian architects and artists. It was opened in 1934 by the Duke of Glousester, the son of King George V officially opened the Shrine in 1934.

Leigh

Mr Walker - Auto check gives me headaches! ;p

The Shrine of Remembrance is on our list. Since we are going to have a car, we'll be driving to Phillip Island to visit the Vietnam Memorial there.

While checking out the feasibility of a side trip to Canberra to visit the AWM, I read that the only days the museum is open are Saturdays and Sundays. So that puts a bit of a cramp in the planning.

Another option is to fly to Hobart. Weird as it sounds, I have this thing for prison history. On our drive trip through the North Eastern US, we toured the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia PA. It's the oldest prison in the US. All US prisons use it's design concept. And of course there's Alcatraz. Visiting at night, feeling in all it's creepiness and spookiness.

The other thing that I would really like to do is tour one of the hospitals. I'm a retired Pediatric Orthopedic RN. Seeing how other hospitals compare to my experiences always fascinates me.

So you can tell our interests are quite varied. And when I say "we", I mostly mean me. My husband likes to say he puts out his clothes for me to pack for any of our trips and just shows up at the appointed hour to begin the adventure :):)

The Shrine of Remembrance is on our list. Since we are going to have a car, we'll be driving to Phillip Island to visit the Vietnam Memorial there.

While checking out the feasibility of a side trip to Canberra to visit the AWM, I read that the only days the museum is open are Saturdays and Sundays. So that puts a bit of a cramp in the planning.

Another option is to fly to Hobart. Weird as it sounds, I have this thing for prison history. On our drive trip through the North Eastern US, we toured the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia PA. It's the oldest prison in the US. All US prisons use it's design concept. And of course there's Alcatraz. Visiting at night, feeling in all it's creepiness and spookiness.

The other thing that I would really like to do is tour one of the hospitals. I'm a retired Pediatric Orthopedic RN. Seeing how other hospitals compare to my experiences always fascinates me.

So you can tell our interests are quite varied. And when I say "we", I mostly mean me. My husband likes to say he puts out his clothes for me to pack for any of our trips and just shows up at the appointed hour to begin the adventure :):)

If you have a 5hing for Prison History I can’t recommend Tasmania enough, Port Arthur and Point Puer are amazing. While in Tasmania The Female Factories are also good.

In Sydney try to get to Hyde Park Barracks.

AWM is open every day so not sure what someone has written to make you think only open on weekends. None of the big attractions in Canberra are closed during the week?? If you have a car anyway you could drive from Melbourne. Freeway all the way. Tassie is lovely though, you're spoilt for choice really. Just like we were in US. Alcatraz was one of my favourite attractions there.

Suzbuz - Tripadvisor has the hours for AWM as Sat & Sun., but good to know it's open every day! I probably misinterpreted the "Sat-Sun". Before making a decision I would have looked at their website. I did find an affordable airbnb close to the area. San Fransisco is one of our favorite places to visit!

I don't think the drive to Canberra would work for us since we only want to be gone from Melbourne for one night at most. And at our age, we don't do 7 hr drives without stopping at least for a bathroom break ;-). We've already paid for our airBnB so we'll be eating the cost for one Melbourne overnight plus adding another night cost for either Canberra or Hobart.

Absolutely the old Melbourne gaol is on the list! I also find old cemeteries gold mines for history. I made DH spend one whole Thanksgiving weekend visiting old gravesite in rural Mississippi.

GUT2407 - I'm not familiar with the Female Factories. Will have to look in to them.

I'll need to make a decision soon. I imagine lodging might start to get tight the longer I put it off.

Another question : Tiger Air - I've heard good and bad reviews... Opinions? Best airline for in country flying?

Suzbuz - Tripadvisor has the hours for AWM as Sat & Sun., but good to know it's open every day! I probably misinterpreted the "Sat-Sun". Before making a decision I would have looked at their website. I did find an affordable airbnb close to the area. San Fransisco is one of our favorite places to visit!

I don't think the drive to Canberra would work for us since we only want to be gone from Melbourne for one night at most. And at our age, we don't do 7 hr drives without stopping at least for a bathroom break ;-). We've already paid for our airBnB so we'll be eating the cost for one Melbourne overnight plus adding another night cost for either Canberra or Hobart.

Absolutely the old Melbourne gaol is on the list! I also find old cemeteries gold mines for history. I made DH spend one whole Thanksgiving weekend visiting old gravesite in rural Mississippi.

GUT2407 - I'm not familiar with the Female Factories. Will have to look in to them.

I'll need to make a decision soon. I imagine lodging might start to get tight the longer I put it off.

Another question : Tiger Air - I've heard good and bad reviews... Opinions? Best airline for in country flying?

Female factories were basically a place for female convicts and destitute females to be housed, trained, put to work, until such time as they were employed as servants or chosen for marriage. They also acted as basic maternity hospitals.

Female factories were basically a place for female convicts and destitute females to be housed, trained, put to work, until such time as they were employed as servants or chosen for marriage. They also acted as basic maternity hospitals.

My husband's great grandfather's sister was born at Launceston female factory.plus a few cousins. Both his parents, an aunt and grandmother were convicts in Tasmania.

Leigh

My husband's great grandfather's sister was born at Launceston female factory.plus a few cousins. Both his parents, an aunt and grandmother were convicts in Tasmania.

Leigh

Mrs Gut is the real expert on that stuff, I just know about it by hanging around with her.

Now if we get her started on Point Puer we’lol never finish.

Mrs Gut is the real expert on that stuff, I just know about it by hanging around with her.

Now if we get her started on Point Puer we’lol never finish.

I also have convict ancestors who were sent to Tasmania so it a subject I am very interested in. Rob's great grandfather's aunt was one of the prisoners who came out on the 'Rajah' and who made the famed quilt which I think is on display or was in Canberra at the National Art Gallery.

Leigh

No I see driving not a good option for you. I'm not a fan of tiger, they have a reputation for being unreliable. Virgin or Qantas are best options.

There is an old cemetery in Carlton. You could do the gaol, then cemetery and dinner in Carlton on the same day.

No I see driving not a good option for you. I'm not a fan of tiger, they have a reputation for being unreliable. Virgin or Qantas are best options.

There is an old cemetery in Carlton. You could do the gaol, then cemetery and dinner in Carlton on the same day.

Sounds like a grand plan! Thanks for the Tiger review - that sort of goes with what I had heard.

I also have convict ancestors who were sent to Tasmania so it a subject I am very interested in. Rob's great grandfather's aunt was one of the prisoners who came out on the 'Rajah' and who made the famed quilt which I think is on display or was in Canberra at the National Art Gallery.

Leigh

Mrs Gut did her PhD on children convicts and in particular Point Puer an annex of Port Arthur and Carter’S Barracks in Sydney. Found one of her ancestors was at Carter’s which was rather exciting.

Even with lousy reviews, I can see why Tiger gets passengers.... It's less than 1/2 of what Virgin or Qantas charge. Makes one wonder .....

Researching flights I find it's about $400 US to fly Qantas or Virgin to Canberra or Hobart.

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by punkinlr

The main issue is that they have a bit of a name for cancelling flights. I've flown with them once and had no issue so its whether you want to gamble but that said I don't know the stats on how much of a gamble it really is. If you have time up your sleeve you could wait for a sale and you might get a better fare on Q or V.

For the kind of trip that you're doing, I wouldn't be booking Tiger. You need frequency, reliability and backup. An airline that only flies the route once a day (as Tiger does some days) is simply not going to work for you.

An off-the-wall suggestion: If you happen to hold British Airways frequent flyer miles (called Avios), they can be a very good value way of buying domestic flights in Australia. It's actually been quite a while since I last bought a cash ticket for an Australian domestic.

Researching flights I find it's about $400 US to fly Qantas or Virgin to Canberra or Hobart.
One other thing: Do not buy Australian domestic flights from any US site. You get access to the cheapest fares by buying from websites based in Australia / New Zealand / South Pacific. Like the airlines' own websites.