Bottled water/ship’s water

tvlgoddess

Is it safe to say that the bottled water you buy on the ship or pre-purchased is spring water and not reverse osmosis water? If so I might have to bring a case or two of Aquafina. Also, is the ships water drinkable? Other cruise lines I have been on, their water taste like reverse osmosis, same with a Princess?

The water on Princess ships is perfectly fine to drink. Tastes just like....water.

I have ordered the bottled water package sailing from Port Everglades and Vancouver and both times it was purified water, not spring water. At home I only buy the latter. Here in South Florida Aquafina is a running joke--it is nothing more than City of Hollywood tap water bottled at the local Coca-Cola plant.

The brand of bottled water on board depends on the port, but is one of the "name" brands of purified water. The ship's water is perfectly fine to drink. As to your concerns that water processed by reverse osmosis tastes "funny," that's because it lacks the mineral content that is common in some municipal waters. To me, it tastes like my tap water at home, but my water is very low in mineral content.

I never buy water. The ship's water is made by one of 2 possible methods: reverse osmosis or distillation.

Distillation is basically boil the water until it makes steam and catch the steam. It's 2 H atoms and 1 O atom. Nothing else is in it. In the grocery store they call it "distilled" water and charge extra.

Most bottled water is repackaged tap water. They (maybe) clean it up a little, but you're still getting the minerals that were in the water to start with. Some bottled water may be from reverse osmosis.

I grew up in Southern California and we used to joke about "Arrowhead Pure Spring Water". My mother knew someone who worked at the factory. His job was basically to turn the tap on & off.

Ship's water is fine to drink with no bad taste. It is used in all cooking and beverages on the ship. The bottle water sold on the ship is one of the major inexpensive brands just like what you can purchase in a local store. The actual brand varies based on what is available at the port and what purchase contracts are in place. It is purified water, I have not seen spring water. Spring water usually has more minerals, thus the slightly different taste, but it isn't any purer than ship's water.

Is it safe to say that the bottled water you buy on the ship or pre-purchased is spring water and not reverse osmosis water? If so I might have to bring a case or two of Aquafina. Also, is the ships water drinkable? Other cruise lines I have been on, their water taste like reverse osmosis, same with a Princess?

Sign up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour and the whole ship's water process will be explained to you as part of the tour and you can ask questions regarding the process. The PH level is closely monitored.

No need to purchase water

Howard

Princess does not use reverse osmosis.

They either bunker water, or use flash evaporators.

So, perhaps the water tastes like 'flash evaporation'?

Also, if you want spring water, you should skip the Aquafina. It is simply bottled city water.

Princess does not use reverse osmosis.

They either bunker water, or use flash evaporators.

So, perhaps the water tastes like 'flash evaporation'?

Also, if you want spring water, you should skip the Aquafina. It is simply bottled city water.

Correct re bunker water, very common on Mediterranean cruises, the ship cannot produce enough water due to long port times.

Water I pre-purchased for our Baltics cruise on Regal was spring water. Not worried about the quality of the ship water at all. Its the quality of the pipework to our bathroom tap which worries me more. Had some awful discoloured water pour out of those taps on various cruises. Prefer it from a bottle in my cabin, even if it is only purified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was able to prepurchase a flat of water (12 bottles, I think) for about $7. It was in the room when I arrived. I was glad to have it for a very port intensive cruise.

Otherwise, I have no problem with the tap water on Princess ships. Tastes fine to me.

Gee I wonder how mankind survived for millennia without bottled water.

A cruise is hardly eco-neutral in any case, but the boom in bottled water is an environmental disaster. Petro-chemicals are used to manufacture bottles (the vast majority of which aren't recycled), fossil fuels used to transport bottled water.....

While some municipal water supplies aren't great for drinking, tests have shown contaminants in many well-known brands of bottled water. I'd trust ship's water at least as much. And, has been noted, many companies just use repurposed (free) tap water and charge you plenty for the privilege of drinking it. It's bad enough to be on a ship belching pollutants into the atmosphere without adding to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

And as far as taste? Try this link:

Edited by shepp

I grew up in Southern California and we used to joke about "Arrowhead Pure Spring Water". My mother knew someone who worked at the factory. His job was basically to turn the tap on & off.

That’s so funny! We used to drive past that factory all the time. It was located in this dusty dry dirt patch. My son used to call it fancy hose water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aquafina is purified "city water". Aquafina is owned by Pepsico. Whatever city the local bottling plant is located in, takes the water from a city pipe and purifies it one of the steps uses reverse osmosis.

Aquafina is purified "city water". Aquafina is owned by Pepsico. Whatever city the local bottling plant is located in, takes the water from a city pipe and purifies it one of the steps uses reverse osmosis.
Yep, and Dasani is Coke's version of water, made the same way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app