Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

sddsddean

Hello Anne,

I will be traveling solo to Dubai for 4 nights prior to embarkation.  I am thinking of using HOHO for a day and then take taxi to specific sightseeing places.  Notice that there are 2 kinds of HOHO, Big Bus and City Sightseeing. Would you please tell me which one is closest to Burj Al Arab?

As for viewing the fountain show in the evening, which restaurant would you recommend for a spectacular view?  Does the dining in Emirates Hotel offer a view?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SwankPooch said:

Hello Anne,

I will be traveling solo to Dubai for 4 nights prior to embarkation.  I am thinking of using HOHO for a day and then take taxi to specific sightseeing places.  Notice that there are 2 kinds of HOHO, Big Bus and City Sightseeing. Would you please tell me which one is closest to Burj Al Arab?

As for viewing the fountain show in the evening, which restaurant would you recommend for a spectacular view?  Does the dining in Emirates Hotel offer a view?

Thanks!

both of them go by the Burj Al Arab although the actual pick-up and drop-off point could be slightly different as there are a few 'points of interest' very close together there - The Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj Al Arab Hotel, Wild Wadi Water Park, Souk Al Madinat... Their routes are actually very similar with both of their City and Beach routes starting/ending at the Dubai Mall (Burj Khalifa).

I'm not sure which hotel you mean when you say Emirates Hotel - are you referring to the Emirates Palace Downtown?  If so then the only restaurant that I know of that has an open view of the Dubai Fountains is the Thai restaurant Thiptara which actually sits partially out into the lake.

You are probably better doing a TripAdvisor or Google search for restaurants with a view - the two I used to take guests to for a fountain view have both closed or changed hands in the past year and as I live here and can see the fountains any time, paying to dine with a view of the fountains is not a priority for me!!!

Anne...

Thanks so much for your response, Anne.  

I am actually looking for the HOHO bus closest to Wadi Wadi Water park and Burj Al Arab.  If Burj offers a group tour of the city, then I don't have to deal with the HOHO bus.

You live in a premier location with a fountain view. Congratulations!  I will look into Thiptara.

My research on the web indicates that Emirates Hotel is located inside Burj Khalifa, with various restaurants offer a fountain view.

I intend to have a general tour of the city on one day, spend another day in Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall.  What is your recommendation for the third day?  I will embark on the fourth day on a Middle East Cruise.

Thanks again.

Sheila

15 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

I am actually looking for the HOHO bus closest to Wadi Wadi Water park and Burj Al Arab.  If Burj offers a group tour of the city, then I don't have to deal with the HOHO bus.

You live in a premier location with a fountain view. Congratulations!  I will look into Thiptara.

My research on the web indicates that Emirates Hotel is located inside Burj Khalifa, with various restaurants offer a fountain view.

I intend to have a general tour of the city on one day, spend another day in Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall.  What is your recommendation for the third day?  I will embark on the fourth day on a Middle East Cruise.

Thanks again.

Sheila

Sheila,

Both the City Sightseeing and Big Bus have the Wild Wadi/Jumeirah Beach Hotel/Burj Al Arab on their route...

I don’t live in the Downtown area, but I do drive by it every day and visit outlets there fairly often!  You are correct the hotel that is within the Burj Khalifa is the Armani Hotel, the Palace Hotel Downtown is across the Dubai Fountains lake from the Burj Khalifa itself...  You might like to consider dinner at the Dubai Opera which has a restaurant within it that overlooks the lake and is open to anyone not just those attending performances.  The Opera building itself is beautiful and has outdoor terraces with great nightime views of the Burj Khalifa...  For the third day I would recommend the area down by Dubai Creek - personally I much prefer Old Dubai to New Dubai but I understand why visitors want to see all the glitzy ‘new’ parts of the city that feature so heavily in all promotional material for the city.  

Will you be staying at the Burj Al Arab during your stay???   I know they have a fleet of private cars and drivers but I really don’t know what daily yours they may have available for guests.  It’s somewhere I have been inside very occasionally since it opened....

Anne...

Hello Anne,

Is the Opera building within walking distance from Burj Khalifa?  If not, any other places worth visiting other than the Opera building in the vicinity?

Yes.  It offers complimentary transfer to/from airport or port which is much appreciated, as my flight arrives around midnight.   I am a bit worried, as this is the first time that I declined the hotel arrangements offered by the cruise line. I am trying to do a comprehensive research prior to departure.

Thanks again for your valuable information.

Sheila

6 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

Hello Anne,

Is the Opera building within walking distance from Burj Khalifa?  If not, any other places worth visiting other than the Opera building in the vicinity?

Thanks again for your valuable information.

Sheila

They are yes.  I took this a few weeks ago from the terrace of the Thiptara Thai restaurant at the Palace Hotel Downtown.   Dubai Opera is the building on the very left and the Burj Khalifa to the right with the Dubai Fountains lake in the foreground..

Anne

32C5F273-FD2F-4987-9F51-2F530EEA05A4.jpeg

Edited by Jayayeff

On 1/10/2019 at 12:24 AM, SwankPooch said:

Thanks again.

Sheila

If you are into gardening/flowers, I highly recommend the Miracle Gardens. We spent 3 hours there...brilliant place. If you have a NOL card, get metro to Mall of Emirates, walk along the bridge toward the mall , but take the exit to the bus station. You want the 105 to Miracle Gardens. It’s AED 5 each way (it’s a shuttle, so no other stops)

Simon

Anne, a new question, just in case you have some insight....about Abu Dhabi......now I'm looking for a hotel there, probably in the downtown area.  Do you have any experience there?

I did book the Dubai Millennium Plaza that you suggested, and even discovered they have a laundry facility on premises.  That will be nice so we can wash our clothes after two weeks in India on land.!

On 1/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, Magar said:

Anne, a new question, just in case you have some insight....about Abu Dhabi......now I'm looking for a hotel there, probably in the downtown area.  Do you have any experience there?

I did book the Dubai Millennium Plaza that you suggested, and even discovered they have a laundry facility on premises.  That will be nice so we can wash our clothes after two weeks in India on land.!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Abu Dhabi. It was fine (nothing special, but absolutely fine). If you don’t want to venture out the restaurant in the evening was ok (a la carte or buffet option). About a 20min walk to the nearest hoho bus stop at World Trade centre mall. There is also a great little laundry 50 yds from the hotel (which they don’t tell you about!); most things were 5AED wash and press.

Simon

On 1/18/2019 at 9:06 PM, Magar said:

The only hotel I have stayed in downtown recently was Le Royal Meridien which is just back from the Corniche at the port end of the Corniche Road.  The hotel has been fully renovated over the past couple of years and the rooms and bathrooms are both spacious and well appointed - I was more than happy with the hotel and the rates were very reasonable too... However, there are lots to choose from along the full length of the Corniche Road so I would suggest checking out Tripadvisor for more recent reviews...

Anne...

Anne, Simon, you are both so helpful.  After hubby and I giggled about the US$ 1900 a night for one of the premier hotels,  I'm looking at the Le Royal Meridien and found some postings about the Southern Sun....I'll put Holiday Inn in that mix, too.....it seems a few blocks away from the Corniche but still a good location...It seems Abu Dhabi is not so spread out, perhaps, will still need transportation but maybe not so far, do you think this is true? .  

Hi Anne, another question, if you don’t mind.

I’m planning on booking afternoon tea at either Burj Al Arab or Burj Khalifa.  Which one would you recommend, if you have been to both?  And would around sunset time be best for both?

Our hotel is pretty high up,   and we do also plan on taking a trip to the top of BK on a clear day.

My one concern is if there is a sandstorm or too cloudy to enjoy the views.

Any recommendation on tea at either would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Liz

13 hours ago, Northbay said:

Hi Anne, another question, if you don’t mind.

I’m planning on booking afternoon tea at either Burj Al Arab or Burj Khalifa.  Which one would you recommend, if you have been to both?  And would around sunset time be best for both?

Our hotel is pretty high up,   and we do also plan on taking a trip to the top of BK on a clear day.

My one concern is if there is a sandstorm or too cloudy to enjoy the views.

Any recommendation on tea at either would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Liz

Liz,

I have only been to the Burj Al Arab afternoon tea, which was a treat for a friend celebrating a milestone birthday during a visit to Dubai.  That was during November so we were there for the sunset however, it depends on the time year whether you would still be there, or if tea would be over by the time the sun sets (if it is then you could always stay for cocktails as it's the same venue).   The Atmosphere restaurant (Burj Khalifa) is at a much higher level than the Burj Al Arab, and as it is closer to the city then you get a much broader view of the city than you do from the Burj Al Arab.  I believe they are both similar prices so just go with whichever one appeals to you the most.

Unfortunately, a dusty or hazy day as opposed to a clear view day is just the luck of the draw - I've been up the Burj Khalifa on both and whilst it does make a difference to the viewing experience, weather is weather!!!

Anne...

5 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Liz,

I have only been to the Burj Al Arab afternoon tea, which was a treat for a friend celebrating a milestone birthday during a visit to Dubai.  That was during November so we were there for the sunset however, it depends on the time year whether you would still be there, or if tea would be over by the time the sun sets (if it is then you could always stay for cocktails as it's the same venue).   The Atmosphere restaurant (Burj Khalifa) is at a much higher level than the Burj Al Arab, and as it is closer to the city then you get a much broader view of the city than you do from the Burj Al Arab.  I believe they are both similar prices so just go with whichever one appeals to you the most.

Unfortunately, a dusty or hazy day as opposed to a clear view day is just the luck of the draw - I've been up the Burj Khalifa on both and whilst it does make a difference to the viewing experience, weather is weather!!!

Anne...

Thanks, Anne, for your prompt response.  I’m leaning towards afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab, once there is availability, and excitedly looking forward to that, together with our whole Dubai vacation.

Liz

Anne, a new question, perhaps you know....I have heard that some of the malls offer a free shuttle from cruise port to their mall.  I am thinking of using this option if it is available for our day in port at Dubai.  We will have already been in Dubai on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, then board a cruise ship on Monday in Abu Dhabi, which comes back to Dubai on Tuesday for its first stop. So we should be slightly familiar with getting around, and could maybe start from a mall on that Tuesday.  Any thoughts?

11 hours ago, Magar said:

Anne, a new question, perhaps you know....I have heard that some of the malls offer a free shuttle from cruise port to their mall.  I am thinking of using this option if it is available for our day in port at Dubai.  We will have already been in Dubai on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, then board a cruise ship on Monday in Abu Dhabi, which comes back to Dubai on Tuesday for its first stop. So we should be slightly familiar with getting around, and could maybe start from a mall on that Tuesday.  Any thoughts?

I really don’t know about individual malls offering shuttles between the cruise terminal and the malls.  I know many of the cruise lines offer a shuttle service, either complimentary or at a charge, usually to Dubai Mall.... There are always RTA taxis at the cruise terminal when ships are in port so if there aren’t any shuttles you could just get a taxi to either Bur Juman or Dubai Mall as both are on the Metro line..

Anne..

Hi Anne,

We will be arriving in Dubai at 6pm March 15th, then will need to get to Abu Dhabi from the airport. Would it be better to arrange for a car service before leaving Canada or find a taxi once we get out of the terminal? Any suggestions for car services would be much appreciated. One more question, I have read that it will be about 300 to 400 AED for a taxi, would it be best to carry AED cash if we take a taxi or can we use our credit card?

Thank you for any info you can give us.

Lynn

12 hours ago, BCFamily said:

Hi Anne,

We will be arriving in Dubai at 6pm March 15th, then will need to get to Abu Dhabi from the airport. Would it be better to arrange for a car service before leaving Canada or find a taxi once we get out of the terminal? Any suggestions for car services would be much appreciated. One more question, I have read that it will be about 300 to 400 AED for a taxi, would it be best to carry AED cash if we take a taxi or can we use our credit card?

Thank you for any info you can give us.

Lynn

You could do either but booking a private car in advance would obviously be more pricey than taking a taxi.   You can get a taxi direct from the airport terminal as the taxi rank is actually linked to the terminal so you do not have to go outside to wait for one.. The only car services I use other than RTA taxis are Uber and/or Careem (both apps and both very similar in price) when I need to book a ride for a certain time as they are very reliable and have 'nicer' cars and more experienced drivers.  You are correct the taxi fare from Dubai Airport to Abu Dhabi would be Dhs.350-400 however, I don't know if they take credit cards as I always use cash.  There are ATM's and money exchange facilities in the Arrivals terminal if you need them...

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

On 2/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, Magar said:

When we there in January, I'm sure there was a small coach (20seater?) going as a shuttle to Dubai mall, but there were loads of RTA taxis and for the price they are (relatively cheap), I'd just grab a cab rather than wait for the shuttle.

Simon

Anne, a new question, I am narrowing down my itinerary for our days in Dubai, and can't get comfortable with what I have lined out.  Which days makes most sense to do what? If you could offer some suggestions on how I have this listed, I would appreciate your input.  Will the weekend crowds make Burj over crowded? Is there a better way to do this using metro mostly, some taxi...….should I change up anything, or need to add something?        (I know it's all whatever a person thinks is important, but I am dithering:)

Friday March 1:  Arrive Dubai mid afternoon, to Millennium Plaza hotel, following two weeks in India. Tired.

Saturday:   Burj Khalifa, Dubai Fountain, Dubai Mall, Aquarium

Sunday:    Mall of the Emirates, Miracle Gardens, maybe the new water ferry? Which route is best for this ferry?

Monday:  transport to Abu Dhabi to board cruise ship which docks next day in....Dubai!

Tuesday:  Deira area  (starting from Port Rashid)

Wednesday:  ...what to do?.....we have a half day, ship leaves at 2 PM.

Looks good to me. Just a couple of notes. Are you planning to go up the Burj Khalifa? When we were there on 30th Dec our ticket was for 2pm. We started queuing at 1.15pm and it to 1hr 45 mins to get to the lifts! It was quite smoggy that day and we didn't have brilliant views, but after 30 mins taking photos etc it was then a 30 min queue to get the lift back down! Just so you know, coming down, get the lifts on floor 124. There are 2 there and only one on floor 125, which thus has a longer queue.

Going to Miracle Gardens from MoE bus station is easy on the 105 bus, but I don't think it starts running until 2pm, so perhaps plan to look at the MoE first. You can watch people skiing from windows at that end of the mall or from TGI Fridays on the 3rd level. When we came back to Dubai on the ship we just stayed on the ship and 'chilled'!

Have fun.

Simon

11 hours ago, Magar said:

Anne, a new question, I am narrowing down my itinerary for our days in Dubai, and can't get comfortable with what I have lined out.  Which days makes most sense to do what? If you could offer some suggestions on how I have this listed, I would appreciate your input.  Will the weekend crowds make Burj over crowded? Is there a better way to do this using metro mostly, some taxi...….should I change up anything, or need to add something?        (I know it's all whatever a person thinks is important, but I am dithering:)

Friday March 1:  Arrive Dubai mid afternoon, to Millennium Plaza hotel, following two weeks in India. Tired.

Saturday:   Burj Khalifa, Dubai Fountain, Dubai Mall, Aquarium

Sunday:    Mall of the Emirates, Miracle Gardens, maybe the new water ferry? Which route is best for this ferry?

Monday:  transport to Abu Dhabi to board cruise ship which docks next day in....Dubai!

Tuesday:  Deira area  (starting from Port Rashid)

Wednesday:  ...what to do?.....we have a half day, ship leaves at 2 PM.

I agree with Simon it looks fine but you would be better reworking the Sunday so you left the Miracle Garden until the afternoon.  The reason the bus service is only available from MOE in the afternoon is due to the gardens receiving school visits during the mornings - and Sunday is a normal school day here (our weekend is Friday & Saturday).

I don’t know much about the water taxis but have a look at the route that travels the Dubai Water Canal as that would take you along the canal and through the Downtown area..

On your return Dubai day, head from the port to the Bur Dubai Heritage area which runs from quite close to the port all along the Creek and includes the Bastakiya, Dubai Museum etc. (known as Al Seef area) which has all been restored and there are a couple of abra stations there where you can get an abra (Dhs.1 per ride) across to Deira side where the Spice Souk and the original Gold Souk are located... 

Anne...

• 2 weeks later...