Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

sddsddean

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Just thought of something else Anne. What do you do about tipping in restaurants etc? Same as us, or more like USA, or something totally different?

Thanks

Simon

Service charge and local taxes, VAT, etc. are included on hotel and restaurant bills so just like the UK tipping over and above your bill is at your discretion... My friends and I do tip in full service restaurants but don’t work to any set percentage and just give a nominal amount for things like coffee bars, taxis etc... 

Anne..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Anne, just thought of something else! We're planning to use the metro from the airport to Sharaf DG (near Al Barsha), but on all the youtube videos I've seen, it looks like there are only 'normal' turnstiles. Is there a manned one or a wide one so you can get through with rolling luggage and a carry on? Will we have  a problem actually on the train with luggage, or are other passengers fairly easy going about us taking up a bit of extra room?

Thanks

Simon

6 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Anne, just thought of something else! We're planning to use the metro from the airport to Sharaf DG (near Al Barsha), but on all the youtube videos I've seen, it looks like there are only 'normal' turnstiles. Is there a manned one or a wide one so you can get through with rolling luggage and a carry on? Will we have  a problem actually on the train with luggage, or are other passengers fairly easy going about us taking up a bit of extra room?

Thanks

Simon

Simon,

in the early days of the Metro they didn’t allow luggage at all - bizarre considering there are stations at both terminals - however, that has been relaxed and I’ve frequently seen users with their luggage on the trains.  Whilst the trains do get crowded the good news is the airport terminals are at the beginning of the Red line and there are very few users on them when you board at the airport travelling in the direction you will be going.  There are gates as well as the ‘turnstiles’ as the Metro is accessible to wheelchair users and those with pushchairs etc.   There are also lifts up to or down from the platforms as well as the escalators..  What time of day do you arrive?

Anne

28 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

Simon,

in the early days of the Metro they didn’t allow luggage at all - bizarre considering there are stations at both terminals - however, that has been relaxed and I’ve frequently seen users with their luggage on the trains.  Whilst the trains do get crowded the good news is the airport terminals are at the beginning of the Red line and there are very few users on them when you board at the airport travelling in the direction you will be going.  There are gates as well as the ‘turnstiles’ as the Metro is accessible to wheelchair users and those with pushchairs etc.   There are also lifts up to or down from the platforms as well as the escalators..  What time of day do you arrive?

Anne

We are scheduled to land at 0830 on Wednesday, so I'm thinking an hour or so for immigration etc. Probably looking to get on the metro about 1000.

Found out today the HI is having a party on the roof for NYE, but we would still have to pay...900 AED for both of us! Thats more than our room for the night!! Might have to re think where to watch fireworks from if they don't let us on the roof. I will be making a forceful argument on arrival!

Simon

Hi Anne,

Happy Holidays!!!  Our friends are coming to Dubai on the 28th until after the New Year. They are staying 15 minutes walk from the Dubai Mall.  I read that fireworks at the Burj is back for this year’s NYE  What is a good spot to watch it?  Just anywhere around the fountain?

Festive Market at Souk Madinat is over the day they arrive.  Are there any Christmas week / pre NYE special events?  How about at the Global Village?

Thanks

Laurence

On 12/24/2018 at 8:53 AM, ebslcc said:

Hi Anne,

Happy Holidays!!!  Our friends are coming to Dubai on the 28th until after the New Year. They are staying 15 minutes walk from the Dubai Mall.  I read that fireworks at the Burj is back for this year’s NYE  What is a good spot to watch it?  Just anywhere around the fountain?

Festive Market at Souk Madinat is over the day they arrive.  Are there any Christmas week / pre NYE special events?  How about at the Global Village?

Thanks

Laurence

Laurence,

Yes, the best viewing location is the area around the Dubai Fountain and I believe this year various designated viewing areas and platforms have been set up for those wishing to see the fireworks and other entertainment.  I can’t be more helpful than that as I steer well clear of events that attract thousands of people, and I understand crowds start arriving quite early on the day...

with regard to festive markets, I think they will all end by the Friday 28th as the annual Dubai Shopping Festival kicks off on the 26th December so that will be a focul point for the malls.

The Global Village is in operation but how festive it is I don’t know but I think it is also one of the locations for fireworks on NYE .  Another one is Dubai Festival Centre, which is over the Airport side of Dubai and they also have lots of entertainment and NYE fireworks.  Le Mer, a fairly new beach front development in Jumeirah and it has lots of entertainment and dining outlets...  

Anne..

On 12/24/2018 at 11:54 PM, Jayayeff said:

Laurence,

Yes, the best viewing location is the area around the Dubai Fountain and I believe this year various designated viewing areas and platforms have been set up for those wishing to see the fireworks and other entertainment.  I can’t be more helpful than that as I steer well clear of events that attract thousands of people, and I understand crowds start arriving quite early on the day...

with regard to festive markets, I think they will all end by the Friday 28th as the annual Dubai Shopping Festival kicks off on the 26th December so that will be a focul point for the malls.

The Global Village is in operation but how festive it is I don’t know but I think it is also one of the locations for fireworks on NYE .  Another one is Dubai Festival Centre, which is over the Airport side of Dubai and they also have lots of entertainment and NYE fireworks.  Le Mer, a fairly new beach front development in Jumeirah and it has lots of entertainment and dining outlets...  

Anne..

Thanks so much Anne!!!  I looked further to your suggestions and found the following links:

https://www.lamerdubai.ae/en/whats-on/nye/

https://gulfnews.com/going-out/http://whatson.ae/dubai/2018/12/where-to-watch-fireworks-on-new-years-eve-in-dubai-2018/ where-to-watch-uae-rings-in-2019-with-spectacular-fireworks-at-these-places-1.1545648752195

http://whatson.ae/dubai/2018/12/where-to-watch-fireworks-on-new-years-eve-in-dubai-2018/

Happy New Year.  

Laurence

Hi Anne

Further to my post above, we had no problems using the metro and had no check at all on the meds we were carrying, so no problems there. 

The HI still wants to charge us at least 900AED to stand and watch the fireworks from their roof terrace (1200 if we want to sit!) which is much more than we are paying for the room that night. So today we went on a recce of a bridge just south of Sharaf DG station and we reckon we can walk there in 25 mins and watch the fireworks for free, so that’s our revised plan.

Simon

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Anne

Further to my post above, we had no problems using the metro and had no check at all on the meds we were carrying, so no problems there. 

The HI still wants to charge us at least 900AED to stand and watch the fireworks from their roof terrace (1200 if we want to sit!) which is much more than we are paying for the room that night. So today we went on a recce of a bridge just south of Sharaf DG station and we reckon we can walk there in 25 mins and watch the fireworks for free, so that’s our revised plan.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Dubai, I’m pleased you had no problems with your arrival and Metro transfer to the hotel.  The HI policy for NYE, even for hotel residents, is a bit harsh but it sounds as though you have a back-up plan that should work, and with the amount of fireworks that will be set of that night you should surely see some of them as they are visible from quite a distance....I’ve seen the Burj Al Arab ones from friends houses both in Barsha and further out beyond where you are in previous years.... If you need any help with anything else whilst you’re here just leave me a message here or email me on jannefas at hotmail dot com and I’ll get back to you.  

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

2 hours ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

Hello Everyone,  Quick Question.  My husband and I are planning to brave the crowds near the Burj Khalifa for NYE.  There are two spots for families only.  since we would prefer to be where no alcohol is allowed, would we be permitted to be in those two designated areas?  Thank you

You can try but when they say ‘family’ area it usually applies to women and children or couples if they are with children.  There will be no alcohol in any of the public viewing areas - alcohol is only permitted here if you are in licensed premises such as restaurants or bars in the hotels around Downtown or the Souq Al Bahar...

Anne...

Please check areas carefully! We have been in Dubai for the last 4 days and the guys on the HOHO bus say (and the signs around the Mall indicate) that there is quite a hefty charge for the ‘public’ areas around the bottom of the BK. Some restaurants are charging 1500-2000AED pp for a table and I’m sure I’ve seen signs for access to public areas to be at a price of around 300AED pp, so please check before committing yourself.

Simon

Anne, I've read this thread, picking up various bits of information.  We will be in Dubai in March and I'm hoping to butt in with some new questions....  We will arrive on a Friday following a land tour of India, and will have Saturday and Sunday for a quick tour of Dubai.  Then on Monday we board the ship in Abu Dhabi, and our first port on Tuesday/Wednesday is....Dubai!! I was thinking we would keep the Dubai sight seeing all in a close time frame.  So, a couple of questions, if I may.  I noted your approval of the Millennium Plaza Hotel on SZR, mentioned by the OP.  What would be a good transport airport to hotel if we booked there? Could we take metro? We will have 22" luggage.  Another hotel option would be the Novatel Al Barsha, also on SZR, supposedly a five minute walk to Sharaf DG metro.  Can you comment between the two?  Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Magar said:

Anne, I've read this thread, picking up various bits of information.  We will be in Dubai in March and I'm hoping to butt in with some new questions....  We will arrive on a Friday following a land tour of India, and will have Saturday and Sunday for a quick tour of Dubai.  Then on Monday we board the ship in Abu Dhabi, and our first port on Tuesday/Wednesday is....Dubai!! I was thinking we would keep the Dubai sight seeing all in a close time frame.  So, a couple of questions, if I may.  I noted your approval of the Millennium Plaza Hotel on SZR, mentioned by the OP.  What would be a good transport airport to hotel if we booked there? Could we take metro? We will have 22" luggage.  Another hotel option would be the Novatel Al Barsha, also on SZR, supposedly a five minute walk to Sharaf DG metro.  Can you comment between the two?  Thanks in advance!

The Millennium Plaza is the more accessible of the two hotels and there are more options around it for eating out, taking a walk, etc...  Yes, you could take the Metro from Dubai International Airport to SZR.  There are metro stations at Terminals 1 and 3 on the Red line which would take you to SZR (Emirates Towers station for the Millennium Plaza Hotel).   Even though the hotel is on the opposite side of the road to the metro station there is an enclosed pedestrian bridge across SRZ with moving walkways and escalotors down to street level... Alternatively you could get a taxi directly from the airport to the hotel as they are always readily available within both terminals...

Anne..

Having sort of just done this as a ‘tourist’, a couple of comments.

We stayed at the Holiday Innat Al Barsha (not the greatest hotel in the world, but hey ho!) and used the metro to get there, as it’s only a 5 minute walk from SharafDG. The max luggage I would take on the metro is 1 large and 1 cabin rolling luggage each. We had to stand all the way ( in the disabled area) and its a good 30 min trip. Also, if you want to see things around the Burj Khalifa, it’s a 15-20 min trip back again! If I came again I’d be inclined to stay somewhere near the BK area...you don’t realise how spread out the city is. 

To get from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, we just got an RTA cab . 80 min trip for 260 AED, though I gave him 300.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Thanks to both Anne and ssdd….I nearly booked the Millennium Plaza as it looked fine....then I happened on a link to some guest houses....so I'm back!  There are three different guest houses, all three apparently in the Historic District..one is close to Metro Ghubaiba, one near La Ras Metro, one close to the Abra Dock.  We love the idea of old, authentic, historic...any thoughts before I move towards one of these?

6 hours ago, Magar said:

Thanks to both Anne and ssdd….I nearly booked the Millennium Plaza as it looked fine....then I happened on a link to some guest houses....so I'm back!  There are three different guest houses, all three apparently in the Historic District..one is close to Metro Ghubaiba, one near La Ras Metro, one close to the Abra Dock.  We love the idea of old, authentic, historic...any thoughts before I move towards one of these?

Personally, I would not recommend staying in those locations.  It's an area known as Deira and whilst it is one of the older parts of the city, apart from the original gold souq and the spice souq being over that side of the Creek, I wouldn't call it 'historical'.  I would only recommend Deira side if you were staying in one of the major hotels that are located along Baniyas Street along the side of the Creek.  The more historical part of the city is the Bastakiya area across the Creek from Deira where many of the original windtower houses which have now been restored are, along with the Dubai Museum and the Heritage Village... 

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

21 hours ago, Magar said:

Regarding Deira vs Bastakiya area...….

Oh, disappointing!  So, just to be clear, we were intrigued by the part about staying in an authentic house/B&B, interacting a bit with local innkeeper sort of idea,  as opposed to a modern hotel....We do want to be efficient with our few days, however....Is the transportation an issue? It seems the area is near the green line metro.  I looked for B&B or guesthouse in the Bastakiya area and got off on a VRBO/Airbnb tangent with modern apartments for rent.  Do you know of any other suggestions, or should I go back to a traditional hotel?  We will check in on a Friday, out on Monday, so time is limited.  Thank you for being open with your thoughts.  I appreciate your local input. 

9 hours ago, Magar said:

Oh, disappointing!  So, just to be clear, we were intrigued by the part about staying in an authentic house/B&B, interacting a bit with local innkeeper sort of idea,  as opposed to a modern hotel....We do want to be efficient with our few days, however....Is the transportation an issue? It seems the area is near the green line metro.  I looked for B&B or guesthouse in the Bastakiya area and got off on a VRBO/Airbnb tangent with modern apartments for rent.  Do you know of any other suggestions, or should I go back to a traditional hotel?  We will check in on a Friday, out on Monday, so time is limited.  Thank you for being open with your thoughts.  I appreciate your local input. 

I would still recommend the Bur Dubai side of the Creek to the Deira side however, I can't think of any unique B&B type options but then again I've never looked for any!!  Leave it with me and I'll do some digging and get back to you if I come up with anything...  Have you given any thought to staying on the QE2 during your Dubai pre cruise stay - that's different!!  It recently 'opened' as a static hotel and is berthed in Port Rashid (same location as the cruise terminal) which is very close to the Bastakiya area, and whilst it isn't very close to a Metro station, it's only a short taxi ride to either the Heritage Village, the Museum or the whole Bastakiya/Creekside historical area.. They often have special offers available on the website..

Anne..

Anne, don't worry about the unique hotel thought.....I think we will go with the Millennium Plaza suggestion...it certainly looks central, nice enough without being overly pricey....I think we will likely use metro to get to the hotel when we arrive, and then will need to figure out transportation on a Monday morning to Abu Dhabi cruise port.  Any suggestions for that?  

10 hours ago, Magar said:

Anne, don't worry about the unique hotel thought.....I think we will go with the Millennium Plaza suggestion...it certainly looks central, nice enough without being overly pricey....I think we will likely use metro to get to the hotel when we arrive, and then will need to figure out transportation on a Monday morning to Abu Dhabi cruise port.  Any suggestions for that?  

Like I said, unless you have got tons of luggage, just grab a RTA taxi. Should be no more than 300AED, about 80 minute trip.

Simon

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Like I said, unless you have got tons of luggage, just grab a RTA taxi. Should be no more than 300AED, about 80 minute trip.

Simon

Either that or an Uber if you have the app on your phone.  The Uber may work out a little more than the RTA taxi but it's usually a nice comfortable Lexus saloon car that picks you up - I use them regularly when I don't want to use my own car for social use.. 

Anne..