Zurich airport from Lucerne

sharkster77

Plan is to DIY Lucerne from Basel after Rhine cruise, Wife doesn't think we could get to Zurich from Lucerne and allow enough time at airport for pre-flight stuff. Wants to arrive in Zurich day before. My opinion is that airport is far enough from Zurich proper to make that plan a wash. Also it seems that there are frequent trains from Lucerne to Zurich. As long as we don't have an early AM flight, shouldn't train from Lucerne give us enough time to catch flight? She us also concerned about "hugeness" of Zurich airport being a factor.

Those who have done this please advise? Thanks.

Lucerne to Zurich airport is about an hour. The train drops you in the basement of the terminal. Zurich airport is small. Easy peasy. You'll be fine. Stay in Lucerne:-)

Robin

Thanks @acwmom---when Zurich was described as "Switzerland's largest airport", wife had visions of CDG/Frankfort, etc. Largest airport in a small country can be manageable, I suppose.

I guess the key will be to book a flight home that will give us enough time to get to airport via train from Lucerne. To me, the presence of the train station right below the terminal was the selling point to flying out of Zurich as opposed to returning to Basel and using their much smaller airport, which means fewer choices in flights.

Thanks again!!

We flew into Zurich last month and took the train to Lucerne. We had no checked luggage, but still had to go through immigration and customs. Still, we were on the train platform within 30 minutes of stepping off the airplane.

I would definitely spend the night before in Lucerne.

BTW - There are trains that do direct to the airport and ones that require a change. You should download the SBB Mobile app before you leave and check out the train options. You can also set up an account and then be able to use the app to buy your tickets. I used the app to buy our tickets while walking through customs...

We took the train from Zurich to Lucerne and spent two days there before taking the train from Lucerne to Basel. Train travel in Switzerland is low-stress.

We flew into Zurich last month and took the train to Lucerne. We had no checked luggage, but still had to go through immigration and customs. Still, we were on the train platform within 30 minutes of stepping off the airplane.

I would definitely spend the night before in Lucerne.

BTW - There are trains that do direct to the airport and ones that require a change. You should download the SBB Mobile app before you leave and check out the train options. You can also set up an account and then be able to use the app to buy your tickets. I used the app to buy our tickets while walking through customs...

We took the train from Zurich to Lucerne and spent two days there before taking the train from Lucerne to Basel. Train travel in Switzerland is low-stress.

While for you not being sure about your arrival time you waited to book the train, the OP knows what time they need to be at the airport. I would definitely pre-book, so that you know you have a ticket on the correct train.

While for you not being sure about your arrival time you waited to book the train, the OP knows what time they need to be at the airport. I would definitely pre-book, so that you know you have a ticket on the correct train.

Not sure if it is possible to reserve seats on short runs like Lucerne to Zurich. SBB Mobile does not allow it. You can buy tickets in advance, but they are good for the designated day of travel on any train going from your departure point to your destination. You might have been planning on taking the 0700 departure, but if you over-sleep you can get on the 0730 or 0745 or ???? Or you can take an earlier train on the day of the ticket, if you get up early.

I think the only way to reserve seats on a specific train would be to go to the ticket counter.

The app does have a cool feature that shows the expected occupancy for each class of service (low, high or very high), on each train.

We were spending thousands on our river cruise, so it was easy to justify the upgrade to 1st Class. On our two trains (Zurich to Lucerne and Lucerne to Basel), there were only 3 or 4 other passengers. That made getting on and off the train with luggage very easy. And on the Lucerne to Basel train they had "table service." It was great to have someone bring a beer to my seat.

We took the train from Basel to Lucerne for several days after one of our cruises. Since we had a very early flight out from ZRH we felt it would be best to stay at the airport the night before. We stayed at the Radisson Blu right at the airport, had a nice dinner and a good night's sleep and basically rolled out of bed and onto the plane. (Well, not quite, but you get the idea. ;) ) Very easy and completely stress free. I would recommend going with whatever makes you most comfortable.

I am interested in this thread because my DH and I are doing something similar next May.;)

bubbulz

- Did you walk from the hotel to the airport, or did you have to take a cab?

We took a cab, but only because we were traveling with a fair amount of luggage. We could see our hotel from the station. (We stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern and loved it!)

This thread reminded me of an extremely pleasant return trip from Switzerland some years back. I stayed in Davos for some skiing after a business trip and in going to the railway station there to arrange for my trip to Zurich, I was told that since I was booked Swissair they could check my luggage at the station. I did that and the next time I saw bags was at Dulles. The trip to Zurich was great and I literally got off the train and was in the airport. I wish all travel was that easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a cab, but only because we were traveling with a fair amount of luggage. We could see our hotel from the station. (We stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern and loved it!)

We will have one medium and one carry-on suitcase, each. All 4 pieces roll. We are in our 60's and fairly healthy. Weather permitting, we will try it. If not... cab-it!

I have Hotel Schweizerhof on my list for Lucerne, already. Perhaps I saw you mention it in another post. ;)

We had previously planned to spend 2 nights in Zurich, and do a day trip to Lucerne. Finding a boutique type hotel with air conditioning in Zurich has been a challenge.

Now thinking we will spend 2 nights in Lucerne, and just the night before our flight in Zurich at Radisson Blu, after taking the train that morning from Lucerne. We can drop off bags at the hotel and then take train for the 10 minute ride to Zurich Old Town for the day. Since our plane leaves at 10:30am, it will be nice to be staying nearby the airport.

I believe there is one hotel (Radisson Blu, perhaps??) that is attached to the terminal via a walkway. Others who have actually been there can confirm/deny?

That would be even better!

Thanks all for the great info--this is calming many of my better half's fears!!!

Another related question--I see where Swiss Rail, for reasonable costs, will transport luggage to your next station up to 2 days in advance, or to the airport 1 day before your flights. This looks like a good thing, as we'll be coming off 11 days of pre-cruise and river cruise, and can live out of a smaller bag (and be schlepping it) for the time we'll be in Lucerne.

Anyone out there avail themselves of this service? Swiss seem to have this train thing down pat.

Thanks all for the great info--this is calming many of my better half's fears!!!

Another related question--I see where Swiss Rail, for reasonable costs, will transport luggage to your next station up to 2 days in advance, or to the airport 1 day before your flights. This looks like a good thing, as we'll be coming off 11 days of pre-cruise and river cruise, and can live out of a smaller bag (and be schlepping it) for the time we'll be in Lucerne.

Anyone out there avail themselves of this service? Swiss seem to have this train thing down pat.

Not yet, but have looked into it. ;) Thought it would be a good idea to send our luggage onto Bern or Lucerne when we stop in Vise (going from Milan to Vise) to head down to Zermatt for the Matterhorne. Then I read that it TAKES 2 days for the luggage to get to your destination. At least that's how I interpreted the service. I would need the luggage to get to Bern or Lucerne in 1 day. We have not decided if we will spend the night in Bern, or just sight see a half day.

We stayed at the Hotel Ameron in Lucene. A four-minute walk to the rail station. Has AC and a great staff.

I'll take a look.

I had them check my bags at the train station the day before my flight. Everything worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not yet, but have looked into it. ;) Thought it would be a good idea to send our luggage onto Bern or Lucerne when we stop in Vise (going from Milan to Vise) to head down to Zermatt for the Matterhorne. Then I read that it TAKES 2 days for the luggage to get to your destination. At least that's how I interpreted the service. I would need the luggage to get to Bern or Lucerne in 1 day. We have not decided if we will spend the night in Bern, or just sight see a half day.

I'll take a look.

I'm realizing now that I think I answered a question you didn't ask. ;) My response was about getting from the train station in Lucerne to our hotel, but I think you actually were asking about getting from the Radisson Blu to the airport in Zurich. Assuming the latter question, it is an easy walk from the hotel, and all inside, to get from the hotel to the terminal.

I believe there is one hotel (Radisson Blu, perhaps??) that is attached to the terminal via a walkway. Others who have actually been there can confirm/deny?

This is correct, and we found the hotel to be quite comfortable and clean with nice facilities.

Great! :)

I'm realizing now that I think I answered a question you didn't ask. ;) My response was about getting from the train station in Lucerne to our hotel, but I think you actually were asking about getting from the Radisson Blu to the airport in Zurich. Assuming the latter question, it is an easy walk from the hotel, and all inside, to get from the hotel to the terminal.

Thank you! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks @acwmom---when Zurich was described as "Switzerland's largest airport", wife had visions of CDG/Frankfort, etc. Largest airport in a small country can be manageable, I suppose.

I guess the key will be to book a flight home that will give us enough time to get to airport via train from Lucerne. To me, the presence of the train station right below the terminal was the selling point to flying out of Zurich as opposed to returning to Basel and using their much smaller airport, which means fewer choices in flights.

Thanks again!!

We just flew into Zurich and took the train to Lucerne, stayed two days and rode to Basal, to board the ship. Both ways will have a direct ride. From Zurich to Lucerne the train runs direct at 47 after the hour. It isnt a hard place to find your way. STAY in Lucerne, its a Beautiful town. We had a 2 hr guide Suzy from local guides in Lucerne.

ENJOY Lucerne!!!