Seat belts in classic cars?

anonmom

We are definitely going to walk from the port to a couple of paladares in old Havana, and then down the Malecon, but I was really hoping to see Fusterlandia, which would definitely require a bus ride. I ordered a Havana guide that supposedly talks about "real Havana" including public transportation, so hopefully that will tell me something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

This is my concern as well as I will not ride in a car without seat belts. We will probably just do a walking tour.

Seat belts were not even thought of when these vehicles were manufactured.

We toured for 6 hours and had no issues, drivers were very good as were driving conditions.

Returning in November to see and do more.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a classic car tour operator that uses cars retrofitted with 3 seat belts in the back seat? I know Blexie is very popular, but his cars do not have seat belts.

I asked the private tour company we are booking with for our December cruise about seat belts and car safety.

Here is his answer from Roly the owner:

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 8:11 AM Roly Torres <rolyincuba@nauta.cu> wrote:

Hi Laurence,

In 7 years we never had an accident. We have had minor breakdowns that were fixed on a couple of minutes by the driver or we got another one to continue. We are not racing. We are touring.

None of the American vintage cars in Cuba have seat belt.

The company is Havana Memories. I am very impressed with their excellent communications and solid reviews on TripAdvisor and on Cruise Critic.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d6132524-Reviews-Havana_Memories-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

I have read on more than one travel site that the "official" yellow taxis have seat belts. We will use those or request a modern car that has them.

There are no car dealerships in Cuba . The government buys cars every few years and these are the government run taxis .Other than the old cars and an occasional Yugo modern cars are almost non existent in Cuba.

• Like 1

There are no "modern" cars.

May I ask, what is the issue with seat belts?

Personal safety.

As to "no modern cars," this is a reply from Blexie, leading me to believe that there are modern tour vehicles. If not, we will simply walk.

Hi:

Classic cars don’t have seat belts .In Cuba you only wear seat belts if the car is newer than 1999 and only in the front seats.

If you want to do the toirnin a modern car ,you will have seat belts.

El El dom, sep. 16, 2018 a las 8:20 a. m.,escribió:

• 2 weeks later...

The classic Cadillac the we booked had no seat belts. You have to understand that these cars look great from the outside but many are held together with bailing wire and duct tape. It was a 2 door coupe and they had to prop the front seat up with a rubber block. I believe that the experience is worth the exposure. It’s far more dangerous dodging the traffic.

We toured with one of Blexie's cars and our driver was extremely cautious and excellent. The street lights all have timers counting down and he would stop even when there were still a few seconds left of green. I have never felt safer. There were no crazy drivers that I ever saw.

The newer cars you see are all government owned. The regular people, by Cuban law, cannot own a car newer than 1959. The busses I saw in passing were super crowded and run down looking. I would not hesitate to tour with one of Blexie's drivers.

We toured with one of Blexie's cars and our driver was extremely cautious and excellent. The street lights all have timers counting down and he would stop even when there were still a few seconds left of green. I have never felt safer. There were no crazy drivers that I ever saw.

The newer cars you see are all government owned. The regular people, by Cuban law, cannot own a car newer than 1959. The busses I saw in passing were super crowded and run down looking. I would not hesitate to tour with one of Blexie's drivers.

Can you supply a source for that? I've never heard it before and from what I have read the rules changed in 2014 and the only thing that restricts the average Cuban from buying a new car is the cost.

http://www.cubatrademagazine.com/cuba-yearning-auto-sector/

Subsequently, Decree 320, approved in December 2013, completely liberalized the sale and purchases of cars. This law established that Cuban citizens “could purchase through state commercial entities internal combustion cycles, motorbikes, cars, rural cars, vans, SUVs and mini-buses.” For the first time in 51 years, Cubans could buy a new or used motor vehicle without restrictions. However, a major obstacle emerged: very high prices.

Can you supply a source for that? I've never heard it before and from what I have read the rules changed in 2014 and the only thing that restricts the average Cuban from buying a new car is the cost.

From our tour guide Raul. I just googled it and you’re right, it has changed recently but it was a law previously. I guess in the average person’s mind it may as well still be in effect since most people cannot afford to buy anything.

anonmom, Blexie replied that my husband and I can get a van with working seat belts. I costs $50 more for the 6-hour tour but that is fine with us.

Of course, now I imagine a 1970's party van with orange shag carpet, teardrop-shaped windows, 8-track tape player and Grateful Dead bumper stickers. I can relive my adolescence for a few hours!

• 2 weeks later...

I simply do not see the big issue with seat belts.  It's only been fairly recently that wearing seatbelts was mandatory.  Cars weren't required to have them until I believe 1968.  Heck, it's only been a few years now that it became mandatory to wear them in a pickup here in Georgia.  And no, I do not wear one every time I drive.  It's a tour, not Gran Tourismo!  

On 9/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, anonmom said:

Hmm, I was worried this might be the case. I guess I'll start researching the bus!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Be prepared to stand the full trip. The buses we saw were packed, standing room only. My take is it is safer to sit, un-belted, than to stand and risk a fall. I suppose if you are older, someone younger might offer you their seat, but don't count on it.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, Offsailn said:

You have to understand that these cars look great from the outside but many are held together with bailing wire and duct tape. It was a 2 door coupe and they had to prop the front seat up with a rubber block. I believe that the experience is worth the exposure. 

We had one gorgeous like-new classic car, one not-bad classic car and one that had a metal bar right behind the front seat going from one side of the car to the other! And there were wires keeping the window cranks from letting the windows go down!!  It was such a piece of junk that seat belts were the least of our worries!  😜

• 4 months later...

Cars with working seat belts ARE definitely available in Havana.

Our Blexie tour with with Rosio as our guide was in a well-maintained Kia with working seat belts and good air conditioning.  It cost $50 more for the two of us but well worth it for our piece of mind.

Edited by Bookish Angel