Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

Pretty much settle the argument don't you think?

In what direction?

I'm one of those who "never got the flu" for a number of years. Until I did. And I was 6 months pregnant at the time. But I still didn't get the flu shot for a few years after that. No particular reason except that I was a stay at home mom, and didn't really mix with others much. And my doctor felt that I was pretty healthy and didn't require it.

My turning point was when I started being in close quarters for XX number of days with 2000 to 3000 of my new best friends when we started cruising. I now get the shot every year. Any immunity is better than none.

Yes, I think it's a good thing to do. Herd immunity is a real concept, because not everyone can get the various immunizations that are available to keep the population healthy as a whole.

This new Flu shot is suppose to be more effective than last year !

For those over 65 there is a new shingles shot that is 90%+ effective, but it is in very short supply and a waiting list at most places.

Also, all you grandparents that like to hug the little ones, and tell them you love them.... great.... just don't give them some disease please!!!:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

FYI, this is a cruise board, not a nanny board. We are each capable of deciding these things for ourselves, and what we do has nothing to do with cruising.

What's next, warning us to renew our car registrations on time?

Hi

So, on that cruise you won't be around children, the elderly, or others with compromised immune systems? I guess it's all right, it's not really your problem.

Someone else mentioned it already, it's not about you. In this area, during flu season, you generally wouldn't be allowed into a hospital or a nursing home, without a flu shot.

There are a lot of people out there that are not as healthy as those that "never get sick". It's really not much different than just caring about your neighbor.

Then THEY should get the vaccine. I'll make decisions based on my own assessment as to what is best for me. Others should do likewise, whether that is the same as what I do or not. I'll be darned if I will be guilted into something I don't think is best for me.

FYI, this is a cruise board, not a nanny board. We are each capable of deciding these things for ourselves, and what we do has nothing to do with cruising.

What's next, warning us to renew our car registrations on time?

Touchy, touchy. The beauty of forums like this one is everyone is free to ignore advice. If you don't wish to profit from someone else's experience or knowledge, ignore it. Quoting it just gives it more exposure :).

Pretty much settle the argument don't you think?

Not really. I venture to guess that many readers aren't sure how to accurately interpret such a graph. Does a 19 mean that the vaccine only works 19% of the time? Or only 19% of people who get it avoid the flu? Or it's 19% better at preventing flu versus not doing anything?

Statistics are tricky. It's far better to read the actual text that CDC uses in the same area of their website:

"While determining how well a flu vaccine works is challenging, in general, recent studies have supported the conclusion that flu vaccination benefits public health, especially when the flu vaccine is well matched to circulating flu viruses."

and

"Flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year. For example, during 2016-2017, flu vaccination prevented an estimated 5.3 million influenza illnesses, 2.6 million influenza-associated medical visits, and 85,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations.

In seasons when the vaccine viruses matched circulating strains, flu vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of having to go to the doctor with flu by 30 percent to 60 percent."

People who haven't lived through a flu epidemic don't understand how bad it can be. Herd immunity only works as a concept if most of the herd gets immunized.

Touchy, touchy. The beauty of forums like this one is everyone is free to ignore advice. If you don't wish to profit from someone else's experience or knowledge, ignore it. Quoting it just gives it more exposure :).

Very true. Guess that some of us just don't like being preached to.

Then THEY should get the vaccine. I'll make decisions based on my own assessment as to what is best for me. Others should do likewise, whether that is the same as what I do or not. I'll be darned if I will be guilted into something I don't think is best for me.

If you don't, please stay out of any health care facilities, church, school, or any locations with one or more people not related to you.

I'm with you. I got one a couple years ago and was sick as a dog for 3 days. Never got sick before or since. And i travel all over the country so I'm exposed to many many many different folks every day. The only thing I will disagree with you on in we over medicate not vaccinate. If anyone doesn't agree, just turn on the tv for 30 min and see how many drug ads there are. There is a pill or drug for everything these days. As Bill Mahr once said...he's not your doctor he is your dealer. (sorry about the rant).

Feeling bad for 3 days isn't close to feeling hit by a truck for 2 weeks.

I do wish those making such arguments would stop and consider just how foolish the argument is. Would he/she be accepting of a first responder refusing them treatment because is was only effective fifty percent of the time?

If I were not injured and didn't need treatment then I would then absolutely accept the refusal of a first responder. He/she should put his talents to someone who needs it.

It is the same with the flu shot. I don't need it. People who are at greater risk should get the flu shot. Those of us who have never had the flu can make our own decisions

Many years ago , (about 1969), I had Asiian flu as a young very healthy woman and i felt so rotten, , i ohpe I never again h ave a bad case of flu.

Your post made me smile - for all the wrong reasons. I think that was a bad year for the flu. I too was young and healthy - had only lived here for a couple of years. Had been home to England to visit my parents and probably picked up the flu somewhere.

Local newspaper used my picture and story about how the flu spread. I was checked by several doctors after my doctor reported I had been out of the country.

I have had a few colds/bugs over the years, but I don’t ever want to be that sick again. Still remember how sick I was, off work for a long time, and felt rotten for weeks. Everyone saying “it’s just the flu!” but it’s a heck of a lot more serious in many cases.

I can certainly see why it’s dangerous for the very young and old.

If I were not injured and didn't need treatment then I would then absolutely accept the refusal of a first responder. He/she should put his talents to someone who needs it.

Don't be willfully obtuse, needing treatment was clearly implied.

People in high risk groups should take necessary precautions and not depend on the kindness of strangers. I'm not going to rush out and get a flu shot simply because moralizing busybodies declare it is a social obligation.

Not surprised at your attitude. You take the low road on just about every discussion on these boards. :rolleyes:I hope to never run across you on a cruise. Having to come into contact with your nasty disposition would certainly ruin my day.

Don't be willfully obtuse, needing treatment was clearly implied.

Then your first responder comparison fails. In that case there is a concrete and identifiable need for the individual. In the case of the flu shot the need of the individual is abstract and more uncertain.

Not surprised at your attitude. You take the low road on just about every discussion on these boards. :rolleyes:I hope to never run across you on a cruise. Having to come into contact with your nasty disposition would certainly ruin my day.

We would get along fine until you reverted to your usual overbearing, self-righteous, condescending behavior. Then both our days would be ruined.

People in high risk groups should take necessary precautions and not depend on the kindness of strangers. I'm not going to rush out and get a flu shot simply because moralizing busybodies declare it is a social obligation.

Yes. Exactly. It's not my problem. Why should I do anything about it?

Yes. We have come a long way.