Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

What are you going to do about your Canadian fellow travelers? Flu shots aren't available yet and traditionally don't arrive until later October. Are they not allowed to cruise? Is there a date you would be happy with?....what about European guests? Immunization is not endorsed by all countries.....just putting it out there that cruises are not US passengers only.

For just such reasons it's a good idea for THOSE OF US WHO CAN to get the shot.

Yep. Plus, handling your luggage (including hoisting it into overhead bins on flights) is harder with a sore arm.

If you arm is still sore when storing overhead luggage, you may have gotten the flu shot way too late for that travel, since it takes 10 days to 2 weeks for it to be fully effective.

Less likely by far, perhaps they used the wrong size needle and hit a bone.

I also work in a hospital. Flu vaccination is a requirement, however we are lucky to get 67% of staff compliance - despite it always being available 'in house'.

Wow, we get 100% compliance, unless you have a valid and documented reason. Why? You can get fired. I must prove I got it. Used to have to send in paper docs, now it is uploaded to the state registry- and they go look.

I also work in a hospital. Flu vaccination is a requirement, however we are lucky to get 67% of staff compliance - despite it always being available 'in house'.

Wow, we get 100% compliance, unless you have a valid and documented reason. Why? You can get fired. I must prove I got it. Used to have to send in paper docs, now it is uploaded to the state registry- and they go look.

I too found that statistic troubling given that hospitals treat many patients that cannot have a flu shot but who could be severely compromised if they got the flu. I was really surprised at that since I worked my way through college in the early 70s by working at the university telephone office which also served the hospital. Even though we were not located in a hospital facility, a staff nurse visited our office each year and we were all required to have flu shots (free of course).

I did a google check and in most US states the flu shot is not required of health care providers. It seems like compliance is changing in the US according to a study released this summer (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180601134715.htm) but one of their findings is especially disturbing: Nearly 70 percent of non-VA hospitals require vaccination, compared with 4 percent of VA hospitals.

Also 100% compliance at the HMO hospital group I work for. The hospital keeps records of which employees have and haven't received it. After a cutoff date, anyone who has not yet had their vaccine is sent home without pay until they get the vaccine. Our HMO has a very strong focus on prevention. Having all employees vaccinated is large part of that prevention focus. And yes, the various unions involved are fully supportive of this policy.

• 2 weeks later...
As it turned out, the base didn't get their vaccines in so I ended up out at Walgreens. I'm new to Tricare and didn't know if I'd be paying for it, but Tricare covered the Walgreens vaccine.

I don't get all the angst. If people don't get the vaccine and get the flu, that's fine with me. I got the vaccine and I won't get the flu, or at least won't get as sick, if I come into germ-y contact with the anti-flu-vacciners. Live and let live.

I just read some CDC statistics that said this year's flu shot gives someone a 36% chance of not getting any flu at all this season, and if the immunized person does come into contact with a carrier of the bug and gets ill, their flu will be of a much shorter and much milder version than without the shot. In many cases, the flu will be so mild for those immunized one might think it is a quick allergy attack.

While the shot doesn't guarantee I won't get the flu, I still get mine every year, along with any other boosters I am due to get.

I see many posters saying "I have never gotten the flu, so I don't get the vaccine". Not a valid excuse. Just like saying "I have never been hit by a car while crossing the street, so I don't look before crossing." It's not that they are immune to the flu. It's that they have been fortunate by not being exposed to it. Their cavalier attitude about not being vaccinated puts them at a much higher risk of getting the flu. Eventually, their luck may run out, with possible serious consequences if they are older. Not sure why they think it is smart to take those chances.

And then there was one poster that claimed since they don't know what is in the vaccine, they refuse to get it. That information is readily available if they google it. It is not a secret. I have to wonder if they also refuse to eat at restaurants because "I don't know what is in the food"?

Clueless people!

Meanwhile, over here in the UK I called into my chemist (pharmacy) to book my flu jab (shot). I get it free because I am over 65. No stock until late October, apparently over 65's are prescribed a different vaccine, Flueon?

Not a problem as my next cruise is January. I had Flu many years as a young man and I don't want to go through that experience again.

Meanwhile, over here in the UK I called into my chemist (pharmacy) to book my flu jab (shot). I get it free because I am over 65. No stock until late October, apparently over 65's are prescribed a different vaccine, Flueon?

It is called Fluzone in the US. It is a high dose version for people who are at a higher risk of complications from the flu, such as people over 65.

The more responsible school districts share your view: children can lead their lives without being immunized - they just do not have the right to do it in school.

Well, lucky for me I'm not a schoolkid. And having spent 15 years as a public school teacher (never having got the flu shot, nor the flu) I find the notion of using school administrations as some kind of authority for anything is laughable. You would be hard pressed to find a more incompetent group anywhere.

And for those who like to throw out statistics from 'studies', remember that we currently have a replication crisis in these scientific studies, as most of their results cannot be independently replicated. And 'science' has repeatedly shown it's susceptibility to being influenced (i.e., corrupted) by economic or political factors. Just do a Google search on 'replicating scientific studies' and you will see article after article from serious sources about this problem.

So y'all can just march along and do what you are told like good little boys and girls and others while I will utilize critical thinking to make my own judgements.

Well, lucky for me I'm not a schoolkid. And having spent 15 years as a public school teacher (never having got the flu shot, nor the flu) I find the notion of using school administrations as some kind of authority for anything is laughable. You would be hard pressed to find a more incompetent group anywhere.

And for those who like to throw out statistics from 'studies', remember that we currently have a replication crisis in these scientific studies, as most of their results cannot be independently replicated. And 'science' has repeatedly shown it's susceptibility to being influenced (i.e., corrupted) by economic or political factors. Just do a Google search on 'replicating scientific studies' and you will see article after article from serious sources about this problem.

So y'all can just march along and do what you are told like good little boys and girls and others while I will utilize critical thinking to make my own judgements.

Without a thought for those to whom you may be carrying flu germs and passing along a n illness that actually kills many each year? Does it matter you could be a carrrier?

LOL. It's fun to see the conspiracy theorists coming out of their bunkers to play with the adults in the room!

And for those who like to throw out statistics from 'studies', remember that we currently have a replication crisis in these scientific studies, as most of their results cannot be independently replicated. And 'science' has repeatedly shown it's susceptibility to being influenced (i.e., corrupted) by economic or political factors. Just do a Google search on 'replicating scientific studies' and you will see article after article from serious sources about this problem....

This boils down to "Throw the baby out with the bathwater."

:D:D:D ROTFLMAO.

LOL. It's fun to see the conspiracy theorists coming out of their bunkers to play with the adults in the room!

Why the re fusal to protect yourself and others with whom you come in contact?

Interesting comment - I would have thought a former school teach might have been better informed: school administrations have nothing to do with the requirement that children be immunized - rather it is the INFORMED decision of public health authorities.

Did it ever occur to you that it was people who “utilize critical thinking” who developed the means by which smallpox, diphtheria, polio, etc. were largely removed as threats to human health -and life? And, it is people making their “own judgements” about refusing the fruits of “critical thinking” that help keep many diseases alive.

I feel sorry for all the students you affected (and possibly infected) with your close minded, anti science, "everybody is an idiot but me" attitude. What you are doing is the furthest thing from "critical thinking". It is more akin to brainwashed ignorance. Apparently, whatever state that you were a teacher in has very low standards for the quality of teachers it hires, y'all. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for all the students you affected (and possibly infected) with your close minded, anti science, "everybody is an idiot but me" attitude. What you are doing is the furthest thing from "critical thinking". It is more akin to brainwashed ignorance. Apparently, whatever state that you were a teacher in has very low standards for the quality of teachers it hires, y'all. :rolleyes:

I am very pro-science. It is just that there is very little actual science being practiced these days. Lots of advocacy, but very little actual science. If we had actual science we wouldn't be having the replication crisis. And eggs wouldn't be good in even numbered years and bad in odd numbered years. And almost everything we thought we knew about cholesterol wouldn't have turned out to be wrong. Etc. To paraphrase The Prisoner, 'I am not a sheep, I am a free man'.

Why the re fusal to protect yourself and others with whom you come in contact?

Not sure if you meant this for me or the poster I was responding to. I got my flu shot a week ago. I have been getting them for as long as I can remember. I have never had the flu, and I thank my pro-action of protecting myself with the vaccine for that. I certainly am not so foolish as to depend on luck as some here apparently do.

I also get all the recommended vaccines for a person my age, 68, such as shingles, and keep current with recommended vaccines for travel, such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, meningitis, yellow fever and rabies. I rarely ever get sick other than a mild cold or two each year. I can't remember the last time I felt sick other than those occasional colds.

Working in retail pharmacy here I can say the general side effect of the Shingrix is that it hurts. Not like.. oh I am sore after that flu shot, I mean HURTS for 6-48 hours afterwards.

Had the first of the new shingles vaccine today along with the flu shot. I hated the actual "shot" because I have a passionate dislike of even being in the same room as a needle. I might have skipped it except Mrs Ldubs and the Doc didn't give me a choice. Good news is I've had zero discomfort/soreness since. The Doc did advise to use that arm as much as possible following the shot. I don't doubt that many experience pain afterwords. I guess I am just lucky this time.

We usually get our flu shots at Walgreens. We are both seniors and was wondering what I should ask for when we go in. My primary care was insistent that we get the senior version.
I work in a correctional facility it's mandatory