Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

I never get a flu shot and haven't gotten the flu in 20 years. We way over vaccinate in this country. Don't even get me started

I'm with you. I got one a couple years ago and was sick as a dog for 3 days. Never got sick before or since. And i travel all over the country so I'm exposed to many many many different folks every day. The only thing I will disagree with you on in we over medicate not vaccinate. If anyone doesn't agree, just turn on the tv for 30 min and see how many drug ads there are. There is a pill or drug for everything these days. As Bill Mahr once said...he's not your doctor he is your dealer. (sorry about the rant).

Timely and important thread .

Just like insurance - you don't need it until you need it!

We don't over vaccinate in this country. We over medicate. And that is partially due to some people not being adequately vaccinated. No need to be proactive when you can have your pick of a slew of medications to treat what could have been prevented in the first place. :rolleyes:

I am personally glad that some states are passing laws to curb this foolish anti-vaccination movement. As it stands now, the smart ones need to get vaccinated to prevent catching diseases from the idiots that avoid vaccinating against diseases that should be completely defeated by now. Mumps, measles, whooping cough and chicken pox are making comebacks because of selfish anti-vaccinators.

http://time.com/27308/4-diseases-making-a-comeback-thanks-to-anti-vaxxers/.

(y)(y)

I have never had the flu. Sometimes I get the flu shot but most times I don't. I understand the benefits of vaccination and the other ones are current. The flu shot is not required where I work, I am not around children, the infirm or elderly so the flu shot isn't a priority for me. I certainly wouldn't get one just because I was going on a cruise during flu season.

I have never had the flu. Sometimes I get the flu shot but most times I don't. I understand the benefits of vaccination and the other ones are current. The flu shot is not required where I work, I am not around children, the infirm or elderly so the flu shot isn't a priority for me. I certainly wouldn't get one just because I was going on a cruise during flu season.

Hi

So, on that cruise you won't be around children, the elderly, or others with compromised immune systems? I guess it's all right, it's not really your problem.

Someone else mentioned it already, it's not about you. In this area, during flu season, you generally wouldn't be allowed into a hospital or a nursing home, without a flu shot.

There are a lot of people out there that are not as healthy as those that "never get sick". It's really not much different than just caring about your neighbor.

I fully agree with getting flu shots and I get them BUT it is unfair to guilt people into getting their shots especially given the low effectiveness rates . Here are the CDC's Seasonal Flu Vaccines from the 2004-2018 Flu Seasons . As you can see the rates are rarely above 50% .Yes better then nothing but still not great . I understand it is difficult to predict which flu strains to include in the shot but these effectiveness rates are poor . Very poor !

seasonal-flu-vaccine-effeciveness.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/effectiveness-studies.htm

As an engineer, it is better to design quality in ( vaccinations ) than have quality by chance. We have parents that would put kids in the front seat of a car without a seat belt. So we have put laws in place to penalize those that do, and to hopefully prevent those people that would take the chance that"nothing ever happens to them", from putting other people at risk. It seems more and more people want to take risks and find excuses not to have a quality of life,that does not put a burden on others. All the decisions you make,will effect someone else, and thus are you contributing to the quality of life or are you detracting from the quality of life of others, just to take the easy road ? If you do not care about others, that is the definition of narcissistic. We are all a little narcissistic, that is part of being human, yet we should all have some balance to that and be cognizant of what our decisions will do to family, friends, and community. When you leave this world all you leave behind is integrity / reputation. As a retired person, and I think you can tell, am reading some great philosophy that I should have read many years ago, but was too busy supporting / making my family's life better. Really starting to know, what I do not know !

Your effectiveness graph overlooks the benefit of having the shot to those who do still succumb. Last Christmas a tablemate on our cruise was down with the flu (diagnosed by the ship's medical office) but was only out of commission for two or three days. As he was in his 80s there's no telling how it would have been had he opted out because of a belief that it wouldn't have kept him from getting sick.

Your effectiveness graph overlooks the benefit of having the shot to those who do still succumb. Last Christmas a tablemate on our cruise was down with the flu (diagnosed by the ship's medical office) but was only out of commission for two or three days. As he was in his 80s there's no telling how it would have been had he opted out because of a belief that it wouldn't have kept him from getting sick.
Yes, last year was the first time I have gotten the flu in more than 10 years of getting annual flu shots. I got the flu despite the vaccine, but it was very mild; just a few days of symptoms.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I fully agree with getting flu shots and I get them BUT it is unfair to guilt people into getting their shots especially given the low effectiveness rates . Here are the CDC's Seasonal Flu Vaccines from the 2004-2018 Flu Seasons . As you can see the rates are rarely above 50% .Yes better then nothing but still not great . I understand it is difficult to predict which flu strains to include in the shot but these effectiveness rates are poor . Very poor !

seasonal-flu-vaccine-effeciveness.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/effectiveness-studies.htm

Graph and statistics don’t show that many people do get a much milder version if they have had a flu shot.

Hi

So, on that cruise you won't be around children, the elderly, or others with compromised immune systems? I guess it's all right, it's not really your problem.

Someone else mentioned it already, it's not about you. In this area, during flu season, you generally wouldn't be allowed into a hospital or a nursing home, without a flu shot.

There are a lot of people out there that are not as healthy as those that "never get sick". It's really not much different than just caring about your neighbor.

People in high risk groups should take necessary precautions and not depend on the kindness of strangers. I'm not going to rush out and get a flu shot simply because moralizing busybodies declare it is a social obligation.

However, you are around kids/elderly in every day life unless you live in a complete bubble. They are just a segment of the population - in stores, restaurants, places of worship, traveling. Air travel particularly exposes you to germs/recirculated air for a few hours. I would rather minimize the risk or at least get a milder version.

Why do they tell you the worst place to stay is in the hospital? Diseases you can get ! So where are some of the next worst places - plane, airports, ships, bus and any other gathering of many people in a close environment ! That will not stop me from going... just going a little smarter and mitigating the risk !

People in high risk groups should take necessary precautions and not depend on the kindness of strangers. I'm not going to rush out and get a flu shot simply because moralizing busybodies declare it is a social obligation.

Sounds like you are the poster child for the "ME" generation, I don't give an RA about anyone but myself.:eek:

Since you clearly have no social conscience, then consider your own wellbeing (since that is clearly your primary overriding concern).

Why do they tell you the worst place to stay is in the hospital? Diseases you can get ! So where are some of the next worst places - plane, airports, ships, bus and any other gathering of many people in a close environment ! That will not stop me from going... just going a little smarter and mitigating the risk !

TTraub makes a valid point in reminding us that a cruise puts you in one or more environments where you are at greater risk for exposure to the flu than you might be in your bubble at home.

Sounds like you are the poster child for the "ME" generation, I don't give an RA about anyone but myself.:eek:

Meanwhile you sound like the poster child for every overbearing PITA busybody who demands people who don't get the flu and never have gotten the flu get an inoculation they don't need that only works half the time just to protect YOU!

If you are young, elderly, infirm or otherwise at risk conduct yourself accordingly.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm

The argument that something is not worth doing because it is not effective in every case is irrational and typically used when there is no reasonable basis to object.

I do wish those making such arguments would stop and consider just how foolish the argument is. Would he/she be accepting of a first responder refusing them treatment because is was only effective fifty percent of the time?

The argument that something is not worth doing because it is not effective in every case is irrational and typically used when there is no reasonable basis to object.

I do wish those making such arguments would stop and consider just how foolish the argument is. Would he/she be accepting of a first responder refusing them treatment because is was only effective fifty percent of the time?

Well said.

Just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean it isn't better than the baseline (doing nothing).

[Meanwhile you sound like the poster child for every overbearing PITA busybody who demands people who don't get the flu and never have gotten the flu get an inoculation they don't need that only works half the time just to protect YOU!

If you are young, elderly, infirm or otherwise at risk conduct yourself accordingly.

Meaning what? Stay alone in their home all of flu season?

Here is the prize for bring the most reasonable and practical.