Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

I am very pro-science. It is just that there is very little actual science being practiced these days. Lots of advocacy, but very little actual science. If we had actual science we wouldn't be having the replication crisis. And eggs wouldn't be good in even numbered years and bad in odd numbered years. And almost everything we thought we knew about cholesterol wouldn't have turned out to be wrong. Etc. To paraphrase The Prisoner, 'I am not a sheep, I am a free man'.

Congratulations upon your realization that you are Homo sapiens (?) and not ovine. But what has that got to do with the overwhelming documentation that vaccination greatly limits the spread of disease?

Had the first of the new shingles vaccine today along with the flu shot. I hated the actual "shot" because I have a passionate dislike of even being in the same room as a needle. I might have skipped it except Mrs Ldubs and the Doc didn't give me a choice. Good news is I've had zero discomfort/soreness since. The Doc did advise to use that arm as much as possible following the shot. I don't doubt that many experience pain afterwords. I guess I am just lucky this time.
I also followed the nurse's recommendation to keep my arm following getting the new shingles shot. I went to the gym right after. The arm still got somewhat sore. It didn't happen right after the shot so you may not be out of the woods yet.

I got the shot in the morning. Around evening my arm was getting a bit tender and by morning it was more so. It was about the same as after a tetanus booster (which I had a week and a half earlier so it was fresh in my memory) and not as bad as some friends have had so perhaps moving the arm did help. The day after the shot, I started feeling rather feverish and by that night had a temp of over 101 F. Still, one or two days of feeling rather ill is a decent exchange for protection against shingles.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We usually get our flu shots at Walgreens. We are both seniors and was wondering what I should ask for when we go in. My primary care was insistent that we get the senior version.
I just ask for the over age 65 vaccine. I get my shot at Kaiser and they would probably do that anyway as they have my age, but I confirm it.

I know my daughter's OB and my own physician told us to make sure we got an updated Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) vaccine before our first grandchild was born. See this from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/downloads/matte-grandparents.pdf.

kudos to your physician!

I had everyone in my family get Tdap shot before DS was born (my DH, my parents, his parents). Everybody was happy to do it.

All of us get our flu shots in October as well. We sail in November. :)

I also followed the nurse's recommendation to keep my arm following getting the new shingles shot. I went to the gym right after. The arm still got somewhat sore. It didn't happen right after the shot so you may not be out of the woods yet.

I got the shot in the morning. Around evening my arm was getting a bit tender and by morning it was more so. It was about the same as after a tetanus booster (which I had a week and a half earlier so it was fresh in my memory) and not as bad as some friends have had so perhaps moving the arm did help. The day after the shot, I started feeling rather feverish and by that night had a temp of over 101 F. Still, one or two days of feeling rather ill is a decent exchange for protection against shingles.

The good news is, getting warm and some stiffness is normally a good thing. It shows you had some immunity before, and your immune system is quickly responding.

Yep, I spoke a little too soon. Poke sight is a little tender which is not big deal, but i developed the feverish symptoms you mention last night. Bummer cause I wanted to go fishing today. The way I feel I probably won't get out until next week.

For people who gravel and fly frequently, i makes no s ense to me to not get protrction seeing it is so easily Vilble. There was mention earlier in this thread about the flight arriving from Egypt on which so many pax deplanedw ith flu. no one doubts they were exposed and sickened on the long flight.

Why would any sensible person fly durirng flu season and not get a flu shot?

Wishing everyone a healthy winter.

We don't have to point out that Australia (along with the rest of the Southern Hemisphere) is at the tail end of winter, do we?

How was the flu season down under this year ? Sometimes our flu season mimics what Australia experienced.

Yah, That and small pox. :rolleyes:

Measles, rubella, cholera, meningitis, influenza, diphtheria, mumps, tuberculosis, hepatitis (B & E), encephalitis, yellow fever, dengue, malaria.

And, let's not forget tetanus.

Measles, rubella, cholera, meningitis, influenza, diphtheria, mumps, tuberculosis, hepatitis (B & E), encephalitis, yellow fever, dengue, malaria.

And, let's not forget tetanus.

and, and, and,, pneumonia, rabies e tc........... :)

How was the flu season down under this year ? Sometimes our flu season mimics what Australia experienced.

Awful.

Not a huge number of reports of infection, but if you got the second stran it knocked you bad.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:17 PM, evandbob said:

If you arm is still sore when storing overhead luggage, you may have gotten the flu shot way too late for that travel, since it takes 10 days to 2 weeks for it to be fully effective.

Less likely by far, perhaps they used the wrong size needle and hit a bone.

Why does Canada have no vaccine available yet?   tHAt seems  a mystery  a  nd is  unsettling to me.  Puts lots of the  Canadian population at risk, does it not?

Why is it so late?  Did the government give an explanation?

Is   there absolutely no place  those who want the protection can go to get a shot?     

11 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Why does Canada have no vaccine available yet?   tHAt seems  a mystery  a  nd is  unsettling to me.  Puts lots of the  Canadian population at risk, does it not?

Is   there absolutely no place  those who want the protection can go to get a shot?     

DW got her flu shot last Monday . Not sure how much before then they were widely available . 

Got flu shots in early September- just before flying to England.  Hoping this year’s batch is better than last’s: we both came down with bad cases just before scheduled cruise in February, which we had to cancel.  Insurance covered everything except hotel booked for night before embarkation:  I had paid non-refundable in advance because it was such a good deal.

Got first shingles shot last week after waiting a couple of months for pharmacy to get supply.  Now have to get on wait list for shot #2 - between early Jan. and early May. Arm was tender for a few days, but nothing limiting.

36 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I got my shot three weeks ago. Check with your family doctor, a local pharmacy, or walkin clinic.

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

What makes you think it isn't available here? We got our shots 3 weeks ago. DD, on the west coast got hers a week before us. AFAIK,  the vaccine is readily available from the usual sources.  Certainly haven't heard of shortages.

Just now, Seadog & Sea Hag said:

I have never had a flu shot and won’t be any time soon. I have never gotten sick onboard in 15 cruises 

I don't get it for cruising (but for work) although I am sure it helps as I have avoided getting the various coughs and such that seem to circulate.