First Time On A Costa Cruise

mcrcruiser

We are looking at the 23 day Trans Atlantic in a balcony on Costa Luminosa

What can we expect as compared to the lines we have cruise :Celebrity ,RCCL ,Princess ,holland America & Carnival ?

How is the food .Is it mainly Italian dishes

What is the daily entertainment like in the main showroom

Are announcements & entertainment in English & does the staff speak English .Is the TV in English ?

TIA

You can't compare Costa with any of those lines, they are like Marmite love 'em or hate 'em.

The food is Italian with just two choices of mains, this certainly cuts out waste which is normal on other lines. Dishes are nice even if it is something you normally would not choose. The buffet gives the most choice for American taste & there are Pizza & burgers at the grill (next to aft pool)

Entertainment is mostly in English in the theatre, piano bar Aft is best bar for English speakers in the Evening. Announcement's are in five language's with English last, depending on how many of us are on board. Remember if it is not in English it does not concern you. All the staff in bars, cabins and such speak English.

Do go and meet the English host see daily paper for times and meeting place (deck five) they will always be the best person to sort out any problems & help with helpful tips.

Just one English program on TV BBC world news and sometimes a film.

Just ask about anything you may wish to know before your cruise, go with an open mind and enjoy.

Be prepared for a totally chaotic atmosphere at buffet (for some reason Italians dont like to queue up and nor see anything wrong in barging in to go over your hand to pick up something they want).

About 25 years ago, Carnival in USA had Kmart of cruising reputation (Cheap but you get what you pay for kind of experience). Costa is slightly below that level for an American used to RCL/HAL/NCL. If you prefer Celebrity, be prepared to be shocked by Costa.

One good news: You will certainly save money in the base price.

I have posted some menus from the Luminosa last year November. If you click on my name and look at threads I have started you'll find them. Will give you an idea of the food. It varies slightly from cruise to cruise but not that much. In that respect no different from the other lines because I look at peoples blogs and the menus are the same time and again whether you on Princess, Celebrity or HAL and it seems everything in between.

We rarely have meals in the buffet other than the occasional breakfast and then we go really early to miss the crush.

The room lay outs and even the decor looks like the Carnival ships(from other peoples posts).

There will be entertainment during the day but it depends what you like to do. They do trivia, deck games, dance lessons, exercise classes, some food demonstrations etc. There is sometimes a musician in the atrium bar during the day. It might be very different on a TA because of all the sea days.

The bar staff and cabin staff are excellent. The entertainment team often do not have English as a first language. That might either be amusing or irritating depending on how you look at it. They all speak English though. The service desk people can be a bit of a challenge but they will sort things out.

We have not been on any lines apart from Costa so I am unable to compare. Off in 10d on the Magica and cannot wait. She was the very first one we went on.

I don't have so much time to go on CC at the moment but will link your thread so ask away and if I can help I will.

Alicat

We are looking at the 23 day Trans Atlantic in a balcony on Costa Luminosa

What can we expect as compared to the lines we have cruise :Celebrity ,RCCL ,Princess ,holland America & Carnival ?

How is the food .Is it mainly Italian dishes

What is the daily entertainment like in the main showroom

Are announcements & entertainment in English & does the staff speak English .Is the TV in English ?

TIA

I would consider how often and how much you would spend on drinks, specialty coffee, bottled water, specialty restaurant dining. Add this amount to your balcony fare and then compare it to one of the suite cabins where you get the Intenditore package and have a smaller dedicated restaurant for dinner. You may find the price difference is worth it for better service and food. And, you won't have to worry about paying for bottled water or that coffee or cocktail when you choose. Twenty-three days is a long time so having extra room in your cabin and the suite perks you will feel pampered. If you sail in the Costa balcony cabin you will naturally compare it to Celebrity or HAL balcony and may be disappointed....especially in the MDR.

We found the staff to be warm and friendly and the ship lively.

Thanks every one for your posts . :):):)

We will stick to our tried cruise lines of HAL ,Celebrity ,RCCL , Princess for our next Trans Atlantic cruise . We are hoping to do a Eastern Med cruise including Israel in 2020 0on HAL & then take the Trans Atlantic from Rome .Adding those 2 cruises together will be like 27 days . for such long cruises we prefer a cruise line whom we have cruised & are comfortable crusing . This is our personal decision & of course no reflection upon others cruising with Costa .After all being a CCL stock holder we would never disparage any of their lines :D