LIVE - Coral Princess - Circle the Pacific - 09-19-2018

ccrain

We reserved the car on line with Avis at the airport in Kodiak. Before leaving home, we called the Avis office to check on whether or not they could pick us up at the pier. They said they could during daylight hours and to call when we were ready. There might be a few busy times when they could not or we might need a taxi to get to the airport quicker.

As I said, we called the Avis office in Kodiak as we got off the ship to see if they could pick us up, and they were at the dock in about ten minutes.

We left the car parked just inside the fence at the dock, and called Avis to tell them they could pick up the car and where it was. The keys and paper work were locked in the glove compartment and the car was locked.

Thanks!

09-25-2018 – Glacier Bay

ROLL CALL ANNOUNCEMENTS

I heard that the CC luncheon organized by Jane was a great success. Rave reviews on how the crew, and Jean-Paul (a really great matre de), even had a special dish prepared for the group. A lobster risotto. Jane’s coordination with corporate prior to sailing and giving Jean-Paul plenty of warning made even a 90+ group feel special. Thanks Jane!

Icy Strait Point – Meet in Patisserie at 0630 to decide what to do. Which highly depends on the weather.

Vickie’s tour in Taipei is now full.

END OF ANNOUNCEMENTS

Juneau was both familiar, fun and disappointing yesterday. It was a great day ashore with lots of stuff to see and do, good food, great shopping bargains, but the price inflation over the years is getting ridiculous!

The weather was good. No rain. Clouds were high so the tram vistas should have been pretty good, but fog shrouded the mountain tops so Glacier viewing on fixed and rotary aircraft was most likely suboptimal. One of the many risks of Alaska weather.

The sales in town were phenomenal. A $4k piece of jewelry for $1k. Probably could have gotten him lower if I really wanted it, but it had “chocolate” diamonds in it. Not interested. But I did find Judy a Whale’s Tail with a “Dancing Diamond”. How about a $1k skinning knife with a mammoth bone handle for $500. Very tempting. Had it been forged Damascus I would have grabbed it in a second. (Shipping to the states would have been $15.) Fleece at 50% off. Desperate vendors closing their doors for good trying to get rid of inventory. Some vendors were packing stuff to ship to the Caribbean and Mexico. Of course Alaska labeled stuff was the cheapest. It just wouldn’t sell well on St. Thomas.

First of all the Coral docks in the AJ dock. That’s the one the furthest away and about 1.5 miles from the tram. The shuttle was $5 for all day – BUT it was FREE after the first couple of hours. So we had a nice walk into town and free rides from then on.

Bought fudge at the Alaskan Fudge Company. 15# of fudge in 30 boxes. Already gave away 3 boxes. One to the front deck, one to the room steward and one to our morning barista. More to follow. It’s really, really good! Then we came back for dessert. Their ice cream was 50% off, so we sat in front of the store eating ice cream and attracting a crowd. Probably should have charged them for advertising!

Price inflation. OMG! I did not realize how much prices have gone up since we were here in 2015. $45 EACH roundtrip to Mendenhall on the Glacier Express. The public bus is like $2. No wonder the line was so long to catch the public bus. The tram is now $38 each for the daily pass. That’s $83 each for two of the more DIY choices in this port. Good grief!

So instead of spending that kind of money on busses or trams, we went to lunch at Twisted Fish. The blackened halibut was fantastic. The halibut fish and chips, nearly perfect. Add to that a white Alaskan Ale and an Amber, perfect lunch. Now we have had our halibut and clam chowder fixes in Alaska and are ready for Japanese food.

When we first started cruising we always wondered why people ate off the ship. Afterall, food cost money on-shore. Well, we have since changed our tune as we have cruised more and more and the food on the ships has become standard and safe – read pretty much the same ole same ole. Ketchikan and Juneau are good examples. Smoked salmon chowder. That was a very interesting and tasty treat. So is perfectly cooked halibut fish and chips – with fresh, never frozen halibut. And hot and cold smoked salmon. Taste treats you just can’t get on the ship. Asia will present even better opportunities for WOW food. Dim Sum in Hong Kong, Pho in Vietnam, Sushi and Sashimi in Japan, those stuffed steamed buns in China. Can’t wait to try real Philippino food.

That’s it for the morning.

Later!

Totally agree....the price increases in Juneau are insane!!! Our first trip in 2010 we went to Medenhall with the Blue Bus for 12 each....5 trips later in 2016 it was up to 32 each...no thanks! So, we grabbed lunch at the Hanger and enjoyed a float plane watching day followed by coffee and scones at an awesome little bakery.

Edited by Magellan321

Eddiestoys will be doing a presentation on the USS Pueblo

Please pass this info on to all your CC friends and others on board.

Time:12:30 PM to 01:30 PM

Date: October 13th

Good to know. For those not aware, Eddiestoy was the executive officer of the Pueblo when it was taken and was the last man across the bridge as the last POW returned by North Korea.

The sea has quieted greatly since yesterday. Blue sky, scattered clouds and light swells. Judy is back up and operating. Internet access is very bad. Tomorrow we cross the date line and the ship goes 22 hours into the future!

Later!

Eddiestoys will be doing a presentation on the USS Pueblo

Please pass this info on to all your CC friends and others on board.

Time:12:30 PM to 01:30 PM

Date: October 13th

Hi Charles,

I see eddiestoys is on the entire 60 day cruise. Will he be doing a lecture on the Pueblo on the Shanghai leg? Sounds like an interesting lecture.

Randie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

10-03-2018 – At Sea to Kushiro From The Future!

Crossed the date line last night. The ship went Philadelphia Experiment (22 hours into the future) and our biological clocks went two more hours back. We are now 7 hours behind biologically and 17 hours ahead by calendar. October 2nd vanished, but then we will get two October 7ths, which we have identified as 7.1 and 7.2. The sea definitely calmed down yesterday but picked back up last night. Still shaking and shuddering more than rocking and rolling.

The navigation track, on Channel 35, has shown a huge diversion from the great circle route we were following in order to avoid the remnants of a tropical cyclone. I can’t see how we will maintain schedule to Kushiro. I would not be surprised to see a very late arrival or even a missed port there. If we miss Kushiro, that means Yokohama will be our entry port into Japan with the typical immigration delays there as well.

I will see if we can repeat the Pueblo lecture. I will talk to Mike. Speaking of Mike, they are doing a pretty good job of accommodating 300+ Cruise Critic member requests! Various games and meetings are being scheduled and so far things seem to be going well. At least no one has called me during the night or knocked on my door to complain! (Which is a good thing.)

Since not much is going on until we start hitting ports, let me post some lessons learned from this particular cruise planning.

As I said previously, the roll call has been active since May 2017. Various members have organized many private tours in almost all the ports. Those private tours filled almost immediately, but some of the vendors expanded the tours with additional busses. (In Ha Long Bay, our private tour person has organized 9 junk boats of around 16 people each.) One important lesson learned is to keep track of the roll call if you want private tours and to sign up a soon as possible. Several people have missed out on these private tours and will have to do Princess tours.

Activities are important to organize. We have several volunteer coordinators or various activities on this cruise. From games to slot pulls to luncheons to dinners to M&Gs we put together a list and had people sign up so that we could provide Princess with a count. Providing them with a count gives them an important heads up.

Early Coordination with the corporate meet and greet person pays off. I contacted Princess in July and let her know of all the activities we had planned and requested she contact the ship to let them know we were coming – and to take that early vacation before we arrived. I then had the individual volunteer coordinators contact her for their needs. For example, corporate sent new Mah Jong sets to the ship because of the interest. Mike, the ED, was able to set up a World Cruise get together, RV get together and the luncheons and Chef’s table was well organized by Jean-Paul.

A couple of interesting notes from the Captain’s Circle party last night. Apparently the Pacific Princess is not going anywhere anytime soon. There is speculation on another thread that she was going away because her last cruise in 2020 was cancelled. So now there is some more grist for the mill.

The two new LNG powered ships will be a brand new design. I think we already knew that, but we’ll see what leaks out of the design process.

Well its now 0500 in the morning and the line to the IC coffee bar is 15 people long as people wake up early due to the time change. Now its time to sit back and people watch for a while.

Later!

Hi Charles,

I see eddiestoys is on the entire 60 day cruise. Will he be doing a lecture on the Pueblo on the Shanghai leg? Sounds like an interesting lecture.

Randie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So far they have only given him one slot. He said his presentation takes about 5. He is condensing it for the one time. When you get on, asked the entertainment director for a repeat.

Which 2020 cruise on Pacific Princess was canceled? Not the WC, I hope.

Princess is running ‘3 for free’ sale on some of the segments.

I am booked on 2 segments, and so far have not received any cancellation notice.

It was the May 2020 Panama Canal, LA to Fort Lauderdale.

CCRAIN - this is a fabulous trip report, I am hanging on almost every word. We are cruising on Coral from Whittier to Vancouver next year - I have not been on Princess before - are you able to tell me what foods International Café and also the Patisserie offer, and which ones come with an additional charge? I am travelling with children so want to know what food I can get on board that will appeal to them!

Many thanks in advance

Lou

If we miss Kushiro, that means Yokohama will be our entry port into Japan with the typical immigration delays there as well.

The last time we cruised with Japanese ports, Japanese laws did not allow use of the Internet on the ship while in Japanese waters. Internet was available at night if we were out of Japanese waters while sailing between Japanese ports.

Please let us know if the same laws still exist.

Charles, Your cabin no and deck have been a highly guarded secret since you booked. You probably changed cabins stealthy in the middle of the night if someone glanced you going to your cabin. LOL Did you work for the CIA, FBI any kind of Security when you worked, Inquiring minds want to know...

I would not expect anyone to knock on your door unless they stalked you and followed you back to your cabin.

On SA trip we were continually called from people on private tours, not even ours, to get help, cabin no's what trip they were on etc. etc... We really needed SNICKERS BARS...

Hope you get some good weather. Heather.

10-04-2018 – At Sea En Route To Yokohama – Yes, KushiroCancelled

ROLL CALL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Pam has rescheduled her Tokyo tours to leave 2 hours later.Same meeting place, just two hours later to accommodate immigration. Tour willreturn to the ship around 1900.

Osaka has apparently suffered major damage in the latestCyclone hit. One of Pam’s tour objectives was totally destroyed. Anotherlocation was substituted.

I have gotten a couple of calls from people on the ship(yes, they can find me Heather!) requesting to be included in some of thetours. Unfortunately, all of the tours for those of us on the ship are closed.There are people on the Shanghai leg organizing separate tours, but they mustbe contacted via email or on the roll call board. Without internet access, theonly other option is to call the tour company directly, but that will cost afortune. We should be able to get internet access in Yokohama if you don’t haveit on the ship.

END OF ROLL CALL ANNOUNCEMENTS

REQUEST FOR HELP FROM CC MEMBERS

Internet still sucks. Could some of you post weather updatesfor our upcoming ports? We have heard that a supertyphoon is supposed to hitOkinawa, but nothing beyond that. A summary of where and how big and when thelatest set of Typhoons are going would be a great help to us here in internetnever, never land.

TODAY’S UPDATE

Rough seas continue. Longest stretch of rough water Judy hashad to deal with. But at least laying flat in bed keeps her from getting sick. Butit is getting old watching the same old tv shows again and again. I’ll have tofire up the surface and all the tv shows I have digitized. So I basically spentthe day playing room service. At least I got all my steps in going back andforth to the buffet! Some people must have thought I was hoarding foodsomewhere. Did watch Incredibles 2 on the tube. Is anyone else as disappointed init as much as I was?

So yes, the rough water, the southerly route to avoid theworst of it, has resulted in a no can get to Kushiro on time. So we will skipthat port and go straight to Yokohama. Interesting enough, the Captain made theofficial announcement yesterday at 1600, but the scan track display on Channel35 was showing a route path straight to Yokohama all day, bypassing Kushiro.Such is life. This also means that immigration will be in Yokohama and thatwill most likely take a while since Japanese immigration is even more extensivethan US immigration with their thermal cameras to detect people with fevers andsmuggling ‘hot’ objects…. But they are very nice and polite about it.

Two more hours back to go. One very night and two when we crossedthe international date line. Something like 8 or 9 total. Everyone’s rhythm isnow screwed up. It was time to break out the pharmacopeia last night and get asolid 8 hours sleep in. That is until Judy’s fitbit buzzed this morning at 0300to get up and do 200 steps! If it wasn’t so cold and windy, and how upset shewould be, that fitbit would be swimming with the fishes in 6000 feet of water!Instead I kissed her on the forehead, got dressed and went out to get mymorning latte and do some blogging…but me and that fitbit are going to havesome words…

Jean-Paul and the dining room crew, along with the linecooks, set up a special surprise for everyone in the dining room yesterday. Theycancelled both dining room breakfasts and scheduled a “Brunch” for 1000 on deck5. I was busy room servicing when I got a call from Sue, one of our CoffeeKlatch people, telling me I had to come down and see this. Unfortunately Ideclined, but got a report from Pam later that it was absolutely phenomenal.They had rearranged the entire dining room to incorporate an elegant Sundaystyle Brunch buffet with all kinds of breakfast and lunch foods served by thecook and chefs behind the scenes in the galley. According to Pam it was a spectaculardisplay of flowers, ice carvings, elegantly prepared, and tasty, food. Theycouldn’t say enough good things about it. Sorry I missed it. Maybe they willhave it again next segment. So if you see breakfast cancelled and Brunch at1000, do not hesitate, run, don’t walk to get in early and take your camera tophotograph the tables and food.

So in answer to the food question. There is no foodavailable from about 0000 to 0400. (Not even in the IC.) There is no food atall in the Patisserie. The IC starts placing food items at 0400 and are allpastries. The egg mcmuffin sandwich is no where to be found. The pastries donot include glazed doughnuts, only cake doughnuts, and various sweet breadslike raison, carrot, walnut, and a couple of types of muffins like bran, maple,banana and/or walnut. Around 1100 the IC switches to soup, one, 3 or 4 coldsalads and 4-5 sandwiches that can be pressed by the panini press if desired. Thesechoices remain the same all through the night till around 0000.

Brewed coffee is available in the IC 24/7, in the Patisseriewhen open, and takes one punch of the old cards or is included with the new E’café-Card.Specialty teas are only available in the IC. Specialty coffees are available inthe IC, the Patisserie and on Deck 14 in the Horizon Court dessert bar area. Thespecialty restaurants and the dining rooms also have access to coffee machines,but not brewed coffee. Typical bagged tea and syrup coffee/hot water is available24/7 in the Horizon Court beverage bar.

Hope than answers your questions! Let me know if it doesn’t.

Well Judy just wandered in early. So I’ll get to spend sometime with her this morning.

Later!

CCRAIN - this is a fabulous trip report, I am hanging on almost every word. We are cruising on Coral from Whittier to Vancouver next year - I have not been on Princess before - are you able to tell me what foods International Café and also the Patisserie offer, and which ones come with an additional charge? I am travelling with children so want to know what food I can get on board that will appeal to them!

Many thanks in advance

Lou

Be aware that the main dining rooms have a children's menu. Adults can also order from the children's menu. I recommend the Volcano for desert. ;) Many here have also said the spaghetti with meatballs is very good. Here is a picture that was provided by another CC member. In the interest of proper attribution the actual post is located HERE

38219237866_05fe3b2e3f_b.jpg

Hurricane Walaka currently at Cat 5, but will not affect you guys at all. Super Typhoon Keng-rey is also a Cat 5, wind intensity and looks like it is going to turn North and head between Japan and Korea. When it gets between the two land masses the wind speed will drop significantly, but will be a major rain event. Neal is looking all this up right now and giving me the information. If we have any new information will pass it along.

Becky Lincoln

Be aware that the main dining rooms have a children's menu. Adults can also order from the children's menu. I recommend the Volcano for desert. ;) Many here have also said the spaghetti with meatballs is very good. Here is a picture that was provided by another CC member. In the interest of proper attribution the actual post is located HERE

38219237866_05fe3b2e3f_b.jpg

Thanks for the updated children's menu. I once ordered the banana split (way too much). I see that it has been replaced with the Love Boat Volcano. Will have to try that on our leg of this cruise.

The dining room does not share this menu. This would suit me for lunch as I eat very little. Mmmm <3Spaghetti and Meat balls.

Thanks for the updated children's menu. I once ordered the banana split (way too much). I see that it has been replaced with the Love Boat Volcano. Will have to try that on our leg of this cruise.

The dining room does not share this menu. This would suit me for lunch as I eat very little. Mmmm <3Spaghetti and Meat balls.

The Volcano is the Banana Split and, yes, it is large. :D

The Volcano is the Banana Split and, yes, it is large. :D

More like HUGE! I just flipped the request for a Volcano to my waiter and he just froze for s few seconds and said "Volcano?" I said "yup, I'm just a kid" (65 yrs old) He said"okkkkkk" and then just grinned. Plopped down about three pounds of ice cream, toppings, bananas, whipped cream and said "enjoy". and then stood off at his station watching me (late ATD). Didn't even come close to 1/3 of it. I asked if it was a typical serving and he said"maybe". We laughed about it the rest of the cruise

10-05-2018 – At Sea to Yokohama

ROLL CALL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Location for the Shanghai leg Meet and Greet has changed to the Explorer’s Lounge. This is to allow them to use the Universe Lounge for the Captain’s Circle party and not kick us out right away!

Time is still the same.

Ms. Le is apparently able to accommodate more people. Got a call yesterday from a couple on the ship that was able to get in touch with her and sign up for some tours. So the lesson learned is to contact her via email if you can. She’s being very accommodating.

END OF ROLL CALL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Yesterday was actually pretty good. The seas settled down enough for a brisk walk on the promenade, but then last night it kicked up again. (Looks like we have another typhoon to contend with.) Back to rockin and rollin. Hopefully things will settle down once we get into Asia.

Not much else to report. Just chillin. Off to the weather pages to see what the Typhoon is doing…

Later!

Looks like you are experiencing a couple of Typhoons. At least you didn't get the 40cm of snow that fell in Calgary.

Hope the weather gets better by the time you pick us up in Shanghai.

I hear Cruisers are reserving seats in the Theater.

Mr. Rabbit, munch, munch, is Cheryl making money by sewing for the Ships crew, or is that quilt finished.

Is she taking requests.

Ask her if she needs needles, thread or some quilt material. I can bring a bit out of my stash. If, so what colour and design does she need or like.

Inquiring minds want to know or just plain snoops!

Heather