Cruising in January

LowDime

Hey all, i am going on my first cruise in January, doing the all saints cruise leaving out of San Juan. I want to do some snorkeling or swimming of the sort at one of the stops on the islands. I just am looking for recommendations of places or what to bring with me. I was thinking about getting my own mask and flippers. Just looking for input.

Thanks

A couple of suggestions here: Under Cruise Discussion topics, there is a board for Scuba and Snorkeling. You might get some suggestions there. And under Ports of Call, choose Caribbean Islands and see what/where is recommended for snorkeling. EM

As mentioned, for shore snorkel, fins not required; and if a boat snorkel, they are usually provided. I too use my own snorkel - at least. Having had a bunch of people come down with cough and sick after a snorkel trip, I moved over to keeping it personal. Of course, it could be the much talked about 'cabin cough', but why risk it?

If you hit Tortola, Brewer's Beach is a shared taxi ride away. Snorkeling along the rocky point. There is a bar reopened after H. Maria. It isn't the cruise excursion beach but still lovely. Don't think it has chairs, if that is important.

Now i am looking for a decent mask for me and my girl

I'll be honest, I am pretty sure my mask came from Walmart. I didn't get the absolute cheapest, but I know what to look for. You can check out any sports store. I might recommend visiting one and learning about them in person so it isn't a wasted purchase.

If you have glasses, or not snorkeled before, you may want to consider alternatives. Some new snorkelers like the full face mask and snorkel (that would not be my choice), but if people are not comfortable with their face in the water, this helps. If you want to wear glasses, then a different fit is required.

My snorkel is the freebie I got from XelHa in Yucatan 12 years a go. I am a little sentimental, but above all, it has a good mouthpiece for me and works well.

Those seem to be popular for people who are novice snorkelers or less confident in water. I'm a little claustrophobic. I wouldn't like it.

Again, if this is what appeals, it may be worth getting some experienced opinions.

As was suggested, maybe ask on the diving/snorkeling board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Now i am looking for a decent mask for me and my girl

We got ours at a local dive shop and it was good to be able to try on the mask and get advice from the dive master for both what we did and didn't need. The basic model was pretty good, and really didn't care for the most expensive, but our favorites were in the mid-range.

I wear contacts for snorkeling, but could have gotten a prescription mask for $40 extra. My mask has gauge readers (bifocals) since I need with my contacts and we hope to progress to diving. My husband didn't need the readers and has a different mask than mine.

I'd advise against the full face. You can't dive in them (if that's something that interests you) and there is risk of breathing issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Using the provided "gear" is no different than using a fork at dinner.....yes, others have used it, but it's washed and sanitized before YOU use it!  No need to buy that stuff, if you are just starting out.

Pack as you would for any vacation to the same climate....you don't need tons of stuff.  Shorts/swimwear is what most will wear during the daytime...and something decent you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home.  That's all!

I bring my own gear. Last cruise my mask just wouldn't seal. Ended up buying one from the dive shop on the ship with some left over OBC I had. Think it was around a hundred bucks.I can't quite remember the brand as it's home and i"m working.. Thinking it is an Aqua Lung.  Very nice mask.

Edited by dwayneb236

On 10/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, cb at sea said:

Using the provided "gear" is no different than using a fork at dinner.....yes, others have used it, but it's washed and sanitized before YOU use it!  No need to buy that stuff, if you are just starting out.

Pack as you would for any vacation to the same climate....you don't need tons of stuff.  Shorts/swimwear is what most will wear during the daytime...and something decent you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home.  That's all!

Sanitised??? Ha Ha, you obviously have more faith than us.

Even in Aruba, on a snorkelling tour, the cleaning/sanitation comprised a large bin filled with water. When people finished they replaced the gear in the bin, while new attendees were selecting gear.

No staff involved in cleaning & sterilising. In many parts of the world this is not uncommon. Personally, we will continue to bring our own snorkel/mask.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, LowDime said:

Hey all, i am going on my first cruise in January, doing the all saints cruise leaving out of San Juan. I want to do some snorkeling or swimming of the sort at one of the stops on the islands. I just am looking for recommendations of places or what to bring with me. I was thinking about getting my own mask and flippers. Just looking for input.

Thanks

I always prefer my own equipment but sometimes space in the suitcase has been limited.  Most excursions DO provide equipment but it is cheap and that blunts the fun.  I have a dry snorkel that makes snorkeling much more fun. Most companies do not offer a dry snorkel.