Triumph pre-dry dock cruises

Ocean Spirit

We were on the first cruise that major work that is currently going on beforel it goes into dry dock.

It is a hit or miss type of cruise at this point. We've cruised on her 3 times prior, 2 of which was this year. Our Sept 1st cruise was not horrible but not one I'd recommend.

The issue is all the work that is being done to shorten the time in dry dock for much needed updates.

We found the staff to be very friendly, the food good and entertain was good.

The negative things were:

1.) elevators were being worked all the entire time, limiting ability to do get where you wanted to go in a timely manner

2.) Toilets wouldn't flush for unknown period of time. One of our friends had to leave his cabin one night just to use the restroom,

3.) Lots of smells of sewage in different locations on the ship

4.) We had stayed in our cabin on an earlier cruise. There was a lot more noise this time. Got up one morning to a barge next to us with huge hoses being pulled to our ship... banging and banging.

5.) Our friends had terrible flumes of paint or paint thinner starting around mid-night and by 4am couldn't take it anymore and had to leave their cabin. When at the service desk the people in front of them were complaining because half of the carpet was gone out of their suite.

6.)Hopefully everyone has gotten word that you can't get into the terminal until noon. They don't set sail until 5pm now. Many people didn't get the email. We had to go back to our car and wait an hour before getting into line.

There were a lot of complaint from others that we didn't experience. I'm only stating what we experienced. Some had a great time others did not. Returning home, I did call Carnival recommending that they don't choose to do this again but go ahead an put a ship in dry dock and complete it there, not to run cruises making major repairs.

For us we cruise a lot and so it wasn't a big deal that it wasn't that greatest cruise but I can't recommend this ship at this point. For my son, he only works part time at a grocery store, he doesn't get paid a whole lot. He had saved and paid for this trip by himself. It was disappointing.

Again, this is what WE experienced. If you choose to sail on her, go knowing there will be issues and look for the positive things you experience.

Don't be confused. This is not a regular drydock. They are completely rebuilding the ship and turning it into the Carnival Sunrise. This will take a lot of time. To shorten the drydock period they are starting ahead of time demolishing parts of the ship. When I was on it a couple of weeks ago they had already demolished the Oxford lounge and some areas on deck 7.

No, I do not recommend sailing on this ship until a while after it comes out of drydock at which time it will have many more cabins to hold 1000 more people and less public areas to make it more crowded.

I’m confused? Isn’t the dry dock scheduled for March 2019? Are they really starting work 6 months ahead of time?

The answer is YES! As always they work on all ships to maintain them but this is beyond that..... major work is occurring. The reason is to shorten the amount of time it is out of service in dry dock. I would have liked to know this was going to be happening prior to my cruise, I could at least had the opportunity to decided if I wanted to remain booked on the cruise or switch to a different ship.

I’m confused? Isn’t the dry dock scheduled for March 2019? Are they really starting work 6 months ahead of time?

Dry dock is still scheduled for March 2019. Cruise lines love to do some of the work ahead of time to lessen the amount of time at the dry dock facility

Recently, Norwegian Cruise Line was in the news due to similar construction going onboard the Norwegian Sun.