Wine package prices

John Cruise

THIS LINK shows the prices currently on the HAL site for the 3/5/7 Admiral and Navigators packages, but I don't know if it is correct or out-of-date.

edit: after looking at some other items in that pdf I believe that it is outdated.

Edited by catl331

THIS LINK shows the prices currently on the HAL site for the 3/5/7 Admiral and Navigators packages, but I don't know if it is correct or out-of-date.

edit: after looking at some other items in that pdf I believe that it is outdated.

I do not think 3/5/7 bottle packages are even being sold any longer. Now 4/6/8.

Does my 4* Mariner status still give me 50% discount on any package?

All wine packages are 50% for 4* and above (less the beverage service charge - you pay the full amount on that portion - which is only fair to the stewards ;) )

the wine packages are the best deal if you are 4 or 5*. Breaks down to around $25 a bottle or less.

I agree. For the lowest level package, the total cost after the discount comes out to under $20/bottle, depending a bit on the size of the package you buy (4/6/ or 8).

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, DaveOKC said:

I agree. For the lowest level package, the total cost after the discount comes out to under $20/bottle, depending a bit on the size of the package you buy (4/6/ or 8).

Just back from Japan on Westerdam cruise.  I'm 4*.  Bought package #2 ; four bottles @$149.00.  Service charge at 15%; $22.35.  Math is 50% of $149 + full service charge of  $22.35 equals $96.85.  Divide by 4 and your cost per bottle is $24.21.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, SeaBands said:

the wine packages are the best deal if you are 4 or 5*. Breaks down to around $25 a bottle or less.

You can buy those wines at Total Wine for half that much.

You're much better off bringing your own wine and paying corkage.

The wine packages will be redesigned in the near future.  HAL has entered into yet another partnership, this time wine James Suckling.  He will be coming up with new wine packages for HAL.  It sounds like the new packages will be in place by the end of this year, in time for the Nieuw Statendam's launch.

https://www.caribjournal.com/2018/03/05/holland-america-taps-james-suckling-curate-wine-lists/#

Linda R.

57 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

The wine packages will be redesigned in the near future.  HAL has entered into yet another partnership, this time wine James Suckling.  He will be coming up with new wine packages for HAL.  It sounds like the new packages will be in place by the end of this year, in time for the Nieuw Statendam's launch.

https://www.caribjournal.com/2018/03/05/holland-america-taps-james-suckling-curate-wine-lists/#

Linda R.

Thanks for the info.

this should be interesting as all wines are supposed to be 90 or above!

Hope someone posts the lists and prices once it comes out.

12 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

What is the corkage fee and is it charged upon boarding or when the wine is uncorked in the dining room?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, twoflyers said:

What is the corkage fee and is it charged upon boarding or when the wine is uncorked in the dining room?

Corkage fee is $18/bottle, and is charged for all but one bottle per adult upon boarding. If you choose to bring the 'free' bottle to the dining room (or a lounge), the corkage fee will be charged there.

9 hours ago, twoflyers said:

Thanks

What we've seen in the past and this may vary by ship.

If you only have one bottle per adult (maximum of two per cabin), you will be allowed to board without paying the corkage ($18 per bottle).

If you have more than that, you will be charged the corkage for all bottles above the one per adult.  The corkage is assessed at boarding and charged to your account.  A sticker is applied to each bottle you've paid corkage upon.  Those bottles maybe consumed any where on the ship without additional fee.  Those bottles without a sticker can only be consumed inside your cabin.  Should you take a bottle without a sticker to any other location, you will have to pay corkage.  Sometimes, you will be given the appropriate number of stickers which you can apply later as you see fit.  We prefer this since we don't have to predict which bottles we will take elsewhere.  

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc is what I drink.  Total Wine with tax is $9.62.  Add the $18 corkage and it comes to $27.62, making HAL less expensive.  For me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pia1913 said:

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc is what I drink.  Total Wine with tax is $9.62.  Add the $18 corkage and it comes to $27.62, making HAL less expensive.  For me.

That works well for you.  A cruise is something special for us and we want special wines.  We can save a bunch by bringing our own.  At home we'll probably drink Simi Chardonnay, around the same price as your Blanc.  But on a cruise, we'll kick that up quite a bit.  

Hopefully the new selections will be better than the current ones.  I dread making a stop at Total Wines in Fort Lauderdale and hauling the wine on board with our carry on bags.  For us it's not a matter of saving money, it's wanting to be able to select from a list of wine we like to drink 🍾

Edited by KruisingKaren

5 hours ago, KruisingKaren said:

Hopefully the new selections will be better than the current ones.  I dread making a stop at Total Wines in Fort Lauderdale and hauling the wine on board with our carry on bags.  For us it's not a matter of saving money, it's wanting to be able to select from a list of wine we like to drink 🍾

Precisely the point.  

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I suspect the selections won't improve much.  I think we'll see wines that are rated but won't be a significant improvement.   Price will still be emphasized over quality.  If Holland insists upon 300% markups, they will price even wines of moderate quality to the point they will be unaffordable.  I don't really blame Holland for this.  It's more a matter of what sells.  The bar manager at our local country club said he would like to stock more upscale wines but they won't sell.  Too many member migrate to the cheapest red or the cheapest white.  

And then there's the matter of finding wine in the quantity they would need for the fleet.  We're spoiled.  We live in California wine country and can pick up wines from local wineries that only make a couple hundred cases.

I will remain optimistic 🙄

Finding wines in quantity is an issue.  Also, storage of the wines.  I've read that shipboard is not a good environment for keeping wine.  There is no wine cellar.  There is only storage and it isn't climate controlled.  The rolling motion of the ship isn't healthy for the wine as well.  Rather difficult to stock quality wines in quantity.  Got to be wine you can move quickly, ie, cheap stuff.