Need Flight Options from Santiago Chili and/or Buenos Aires?

knittinggirl

Before we book a South America Cruise, we need to see what type of options are available for flying to or from South America?

Closest large airport are IAH and DFW.

I think Santiago is a little shorter flight, but I'm not sure if we want to fly to a midpoint city like Panama City or Lima, then spend the night.

Try a website like Kayak.com for options. You can specify a multi-city trip, flying into one city and out of another. You can also filter results for non-stop, one-stop, different airlines, etc. Some people also use flights.google.com.

It's been a while since I've looked but you might have to fly from DFW or IAH to ATL or MIA, then on to S. America. Or there may be a non-stop from DFW or IAH. You'll need to check times and prices and see what works best for you.

Try google flights... if your looking for nonstop flights, United flies to Santiago, Rio, Buenos Aries from IAH, American flies to Santiago and Buenos Aries from DFW

Hi knittingirl,

Along with considering what airline and flight itinerary to book, I'd suggest considering the flights' on time performance if you can find data for such.

In January, my Delta flight from Buenos Aires to Atlanta left on time. An American flight was supposed to leave close to my flight's departure, but was severely delayed due to the incoming flight not having arrived from the U. S.. If my memory is correct, that flight did not leave until well after Midnight. (Mine left around 9:30 P. M.)

I live in New England, not Texas, but I used American Airlines from Boston to Miami to Santiago, then had a direct flight back from BA to Boston. No problems and even got an upgrade from Miami to Santiago! (I asked and it was available and I had enough points to do this). Good luck!

Thanks for the information.

Why are nonstop flights so much more expensive than 1 or 2+ stop flights?

Most people don't want the hassle of stopping and waiting.

I rather like a break and often book two separate flights usually with different airlines and visit the place in between for a day or more. I use Fare Compare and Skyscanner quite often and depending on the route find it often cheaper than booking all the way through.

For our cruise from Savona to Buenos Aires, I am flying to Geneva from Montevideo and then taking the train to Venice and Florence before heading to Savona about two weeks later.

There are excellent long distance buses in S, America including ones with full beds overnight for very little money. You could fly to say Lima and then bus to Santiago

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lima/Santiago

and see the scenery if you can spare the time.

When booking our flight from Seattle to Santiago I looked at several options. And decided there is absolutely no common sense when it comes to airline pricing. American Comfort Class (or whatever the step above coach is called) was about $1250 pp from Seattle. A $100 flight would get us to San Fran or Las Vegas and then the cost was $750 to Santiago. If we left from DFW for the direct flight to Santiago (and all flights stop in Dallas) the cost was $1650. Finally ended up on a flight from Vancouver BC for $556. Good luck!

We flew business class with Argentine Airlines nonstop from JFK to Buenos Aires. While I had read many bad reviews about this airline, having done it I can't say enough good things. Can't speak for coach class, which is reported to be pretty crowded in terms of seating dimensions, leg room, etc. I was a bit leery being that the price for business class was SO much lower than most airlines - but the seats, food, service...all terrific. Would go with them again without hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on when you want to go, if you want coach or business, if you are decent at navigating foreign airports, if you want to spend a day somewhere, if you want to do all of your travel during the day or overnight.

A quick look, Air Canada will take you to SCL from DFW in Feb for $610 with a 9 hour layover in Toronto and a 10 hour flight from there. Or you could take Aeromexico with a 19 hour layover in Mexico City for $1031.

We did United IAH to Santiago direct. Then we did Sky to Montevideo. Toured, and then ferry to BA.

Came home from Santiago with a stopover in Panama via Copa. Then Copa to IAH (i think) to connect to our flight home.

We thought that Copa had the best service, the best equipment. Would fly on that airline again.