Losing My FunShip virginity on the Horizon - Live 8/22

CruizinCutieJulia

Huge Request - Could you save and/or post shots of the fun-times please? Going on this itinerary and trying to make some plans!

Absolutely! I probably won’t post until I get home as the social plan is having a hard enough time keeping up with me not posting pics... the few times I’ve tried it’s been a struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DAY 2 - DAY AT SEA cont

I’m not sure if there is a purpose or reason, but last night during the dive in movie, probably in the 8 o’clock hour they made an announcement for the medical response team to deck 3 atrium. Didn’t hear anything else about it, but we absolutely hauled ship overnight- the boat was rocking, we were full steam ahead. And then this afternoon sometime before 4, we slowed to a crawl... we are just about stopped floating toward grand Turk. Maybe we were outrunning some storm, or maybe the captain wanted to be as close as possible to keep the ship slow and steady for elegant night? I’m not sure if any of this is related, but we have ultra calm seas and are moving slow this evening!

I thoroughly enjoyed my relaxing sea day and after my dining room experience last night, I have decided to forego elegant evening to stay in my relaxed frame of mind.

The dive in movie tonight is, “the greatest showman” a movie I have wanted to see, so I am doing the movie, and there isn’t much until 1015 for 70s & 80s music and trivia party in the atrium. We are all ashore in grand Turk at 715am and I have been excited to experience this tiny island so I am looking forward to being ashore early to explore.

EMBARKATION DAY 1:

I flew in to FLL Friday morning and took the tri-rail to Miami. To be honest, I probably won’t do this again unless it saves more than $200. The shuttle from airport to Tri-Rail was slow and the train was not on time. My flight landed at 1130am in Fort Lauderdale, and I actually had to stop for food at 3pm because I was just getting through the Miami airport and waiting on the hotel shuttle. Finally made it to the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon at 330.

Check-in time for me was 1130-12 and what I read of carnival was don’t show up early you will get turned away. So I’m a rule follower and a planner by nature so I showed up right at 1130. Now, I will cut carnival some slack because the 2 day sailing I’m sure had a ton of promotional things and a lot of people who booked B2B but man they didn’t clear the ship until like 1230!!! I was lucky enough to make it into the security door before the line got too long, but most had to wait in the blazing sun for hours for people to disembark. Carnival actually started doing check ins throughout the line to expedite. I was given group 26 boarding number and was on the ship at 120pm

Following along, but wanted to add that I took Super Shuttle from FLL to Miami, and reached my hotel in under 1 hour. Your mode of transportation choice cost you losing 4 hours of vacation time! Many people use Uber, also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Following along, but wanted to add that I took Super Shuttle from FLL to Miami, and reached my hotel in under 1 hour. Your mode of transportation choice cost you losing 4 hours of vacation time! Many people use Uber, also.

How much was super shuttle? I chose it because I really didn’t have plans for Miami since I was staying near the airport and not at the beach or near port. But always looking for alternative options.

How much was super shuttle? I chose it because I really didn’t have plans for Miami since I was staying near the airport and not at the beach or near port. But always looking for alternative options.

I think I paid $30pp. I stayed at the Homewood Suites In Downtown/Brickell area, about 10 minutes from port. It was a great location, and super big room. The year before, I stayed in South Beach at the Marlin Hotel, which was super! An Art Deco Hotel on Collins Blvd, one block over from all the action on Ocean Drive. But I had to take Go Airport Shuttle that time because Super Shuttle and SAS Shuttle did not travel to South Beach.

When I go solo, I go to Lido........Salad is much better than dining room(like salad at dinner) and I found it much more relaxing. Lido usually has very good baked potatoes and they make good green beans. Lots of times I skip the meat, since I really don't eat too much. Anyways, enjoy and we will be on Horizon the end of Nov. Can't wait!

Happy Sailing!!

Edited by oceanlov1

I wanted to add that I have not sailed Carnival since 2007, sailing RCCL and NCL since, but I have 2 Carnival cruises booked, one in 2019 and one in 2020, because I always had a ton of fun on my Carnival cruises, and the itineraries were better. I mention this, only because of your comments about NCL, and I have to tell you that we fell in LOVE with NCL’s Freestyle Cruising! To be able to eat wherever and whenever we wanted was just perfect! And the more casual vibe was right up our alley! After years of dragging formal wear on cruises we decided we were so DONE with it all, and NCL fit the bill perfect! But on my upcoming Carnival cruises we decided we still are not dragging formal wear, and will dress casually, but appropriately, but not formal, and certainly not elegant. I know that Carnival has become more relaxed, as per other threads, so I’m not too worried, but if we were ever denied entrance to MDR because the hubby is in khaki slacks and polo, and me in a sundress, our Carnival days would be over. But I really don’t anticipate that to be a problem. My concern is that I heard you have to check in for YTD on one deck, and go eat at MDR on another deck. Really?? Doesn’t this seem odd? I’m used to going up to hostess at restaurant (note: ANY restaurant I chose, not just one banquet size MDR) and being seated as soon as table ready—just like any restaurant back home. But I am remaining positive, and excited to return to Carnival, because I missed all the fun we always had on our Carnival cruises.

I wanted to add that I have not sailed Carnival since 2007, sailing RCCL and NCL since, but I have 2 Carnival cruises booked, one in 2019 and one in 2020, because I always had a ton of fun on my Carnival cruises, and the itineraries were better. I mention this, only because of your comments about NCL, and I have to tell you that we fell in LOVE with NCL’s Freestyle Cruising! To be able to eat wherever and whenever we wanted was just perfect! And the more casual vibe was right up our alley! After years of dragging formal wear on cruises we decided we were so DONE with it all, and NCL fit the bill perfect! But on my upcoming Carnival cruises we decided we still are not dragging formal wear, and will dress casually, but appropriately, but not formal, and certainly not elegant. I know that Carnival has become more relaxed, as per other threads, so I’m not too worried, but if we were ever denied entrance to MDR because the hubby is in khaki slacks and polo, and me in a sundress, our Carnival days would be over. But I really don’t anticipate that to be a problem. My concern is that I heard you have to check in for YTD on one deck, and go eat at MDR on another deck. Really?? Doesn’t this seem odd? I’m used to going up to hostess at restaurant (note: ANY restaurant I chose, not just one banquet size MDR) and being seated as soon as table ready—just like any restaurant back home. But I am remaining positive, and excited to return to Carnival, because I missed all the fun we always had on our Carnival cruises.

After a handful of cruises I also got sick of bringing formal wear along on vacation. Now, my husband wears slacks and a button-up shirt, and I wear slacks and a blouse. I don’t even both with a sundress anymore. We are still adhering to the elegant night dress code, but without the fuss that I don’t feel like dealing with while on vacation. If others want to wear tuxes and prom dresses, so be it. Everyone should wear what they are comfortable wearing. You will be fine with what you described.

Also, checking in on a separate deck is only on the Vista currently. For the Horizon you check in through the app instead. For the OP, it seems she only had a problem because she’s a party of one. Anyway, they didn’t have the app check in procedure up and running when we were on the Horizon in Europe, so we had to check in like on the Vista, but it was no big deal. You check in on the Promenade near Pixels and then walk to the MDR to be seated. It’s really not far of a walk.

Thank you so much for this review!

Yours are the first comments I have seen with less-than-positive reviews of carnival staff...makes me wonder if there were staff changes from NY to Miami?

I will be on the Horizon in Dec and it is my first CCL experience. (My only other cruise has been with Disney).

i was loyal to Royal for years, also did Princess, Norwegian, HollandAmerica, and one other. My brother in law introduced me to Carnival. I also heard the party crowd thing also but was surprised it wasnt like people said. That was back in 2007, and i now have a bunch of Carnival sailings. And Carnival is like the rest that i avoid things like spring break and all but overall cruisers are cruisers and most are great to be around.

After a handful of cruises I also got sick of bringing formal wear along on vacation. Now, my husband wears slacks and a button-up shirt, and I wear slacks and a blouse. I don’t even both with a sundress anymore. We are still adhering to the elegant night dress code, but without the fuss that I don’t feel like dealing with while on vacation. If others want to wear tuxes and prom dresses, so be it. Everyone should wear what they are comfortable wearing. You will be fine with what you described.

Also, checking in on a separate deck is only on the Vista currently. For the Horizon you check in through the app instead. For the OP, it seems she only had a problem because she’s a party of one. Anyway, they didn’t have the app check in procedure up and running when we were on the Horizon in Europe, so we had to check in like on the Vista, but it was no big deal. You check in on the Promenade near Pixels and then walk to the MDR to be seated. It’s really not far of a walk.

You can do either, tonight it seemed like everyone was checking in with the hostess near pixels as there was also a picture station there and they did pictures while they waited.

But yes you can use the app. I will try the app again tomorrow to see if maybe it was just a fluke or if solos will still have issues if they prefer to eat alone.

... I’m not too worried, but if we were ever denied entrance to MDR because the hubby is in khaki slacks and polo, and me in a sundress, our Carnival days would be over. But I really don’t anticipate that to be a problem. My concern is that I heard you have to check in for YTD on one deck, and go eat at MDR on another deck. Really?? Doesn’t this seem odd? I’m used to going up to hostess at restaurant (note: ANY restaurant I chose, not just one banquet size MDR) and being seated as soon as table ready—just like any restaurant back home. But I am remaining positive, and excited to return to Carnival, because I missed all the fun we always had on our Carnival cruises.

You will not have a problem with khakis/polo/sundress - we have done exactly this lately.

The check-in location for YTD on Deck 5 may sound strange, but it's really not bad - it just relocates the queue two decks up and makes the MDR lobby less congested. You still get a pager if they can't seat you immediately, and I find Ocean Plaza (usually with live music at that time) and Alchemy Bar nearby to be a nicer place to wait than the MDR/elevator lobby anyhow. If a table is available, they give you a slip of paper and you go straight to the MDR. As far as I know, they use this system on Horizon, Vista, and also Sunshine.

I guess we will still have to check in elsewhere before dinner, as my hubby does not have a smartphone, and I only use mine for pics on a cruise. I do not use any apps when on a cruise. I tried the NCL app when we sailed with our daughter’s family, but when I found out they didn’t, I took it off, as I’d have nobody I needed to communicate with. We will be sailing the Breeze in 2019 and trying YTD. For our 2020 cruise, we chose early dinning because it would just be easier for Carnival to seat all 25+ of us, as that is a family cruise to celebrate our 50th Anniversary.

We are in the same boat...haha tired of all the same ports and ready to go to some new places. So we booked Horizon in ther Havana for June

I am enjoying your review thank You for doing this can I ask. If you wouldn't mind asking the bartenders if the Cuban sodas are included in the soda package. Its not a big thing but if you get a chance.

NIGHT 2

Well I just about made a rookie mistake!! Y’all know I skipped the elegant portion of elegant night, and was enjoying just wandering g around the ship seeing everyone dressed up. The Greatest Showman was playing on lido so I grabbed a chair and enjoyed being out under the stars watching a movie. I was scrolling through the app looking for something else going on but didn’t see much as most people doing elegant night were dining and doing pictures around the ship....

As then....

So lucky I saw it, there was a playlist production last night. This cast is extremely talented and you can see how much they love performing. It is also their last week on the ship as they turnover to a whole new cast next week so you can feel the energy and emotion they put into it.

Soul bound was last night and bills a R&B songs. I was interested to see just the hype everyone puts behind playlist productions. THEY ARE NOT LYING!!! The music was AMAZING!! That group can sing and dance and they put on a spectacular show. My one critique would be, the plot line of there was one (cd mike said all playlist prod have a plot line except celestial strings) was hard to follow. As in, I have no idea what any of the songs had

To do with another and if they were telling a story it was WAY over my head. It looked like old school New Orleans with ghosts or ghouls. The costumes and makeup were

Good, I just didn’t know why it was what it was. Maybe I’m just dense....

I did however go trough the app and mark every other show out so I won’t miss. Much better main theater entertainment than all of Norwegian - except jersey boys on Bliss, that was pretty excellent!!

Thank you so much for this review!

Yours are the first comments I have seen with less-than-positive reviews of carnival staff...makes me wonder if there were staff changes from NY to Miami?

I will be on the Horizon in Dec and it is my first CCL experience. (My only other cruise has been with Disney).

I may be biased on crew/staff only because I had such an amazing experience with staff on NCL Bliss in June. Bartenders at several bars knew me by name on Day 1, Dining room staff just seemed more genuinely caring to help.

I will say I absolutely love Mike Pack. He is very engaging and visible all around the ship. But when I pass other officers or managers they usually give a very small smile and head nod only. Several times I have been the first to say good morning or hi how are you to staff cleaning or passing in corridors.

One bartender I spoke with at red frog rum bar said they were much more busy in our first 2 days in comparison to coming from New York. Also, he mentioned he is tired because the crew had 3 days off with no guests coming from NY, so maybe readjusting could be difficult for some. Others are just getting ready to go on vacation and contracts are ending after this sailing for a few I’ve talked to.

We are in the same boat...haha tired of all the same ports and ready to go to some new places. So we booked Horizon in ther Havana for June

I am enjoying your review thank You for doing this can I ask. If you wouldn't mind asking the bartenders if the Cuban sodas are included in the soda package. Its not a big thing but if you get a chance.

I don’t think the Cuban sodas are included because they sell by the can. The soda package works at all “regular” bars because you get a glass. Coffee shop also sells by the can. But I will ask for sure later when I am back there.

We sail Horizon on 10/6, so I’m loving your review! Oh I can’t wait!

We also have a Havana cabin...5216...is that in Ian’s section, and will he still be on at that time? Our last few room stewards have been MIA, they got the job done but we missed seeing them.

We sail Horizon on 10/6, so I’m loving your review! Oh I can’t wait!

We also have a Havana cabin...5216...is that in Ian’s section, and will he still be on at that time? Our last few room stewards have been MIA, they got the job done but we missed seeing them.

I’m in 5211, so 5216 should be in his section. I’ll ask him tonight when I see him.

DAY 3: GRAND TURK

Beautiful morning to port in Grand Turk!! It was my first time here but follow many you tubers who frequent the island so i felt comfortable arriving and knowing where to go and how it works.

Weather was scheduled to be partly cloudy, and it was just that. I was up and off the ship by 740 and walked down the beach to stretch my legs. Jacks shack was getting busy and I didn’t really like the look of the chairs they had, so I decided to head back before the area right at the port filled up. Great pictures will come when I get home, as WiFi isn’t cooperating for pictures on any platform right now.

I was back on board by 1130 to enjoy some partially empty time on the ship.

It was nice to be in and out of port early and it feels almost like another day at sea.

One thing that I have to y’all about that happened today was the Military Appreciation Ceremony. This was a first for me, no other line I have been on does this and I thought it was fabulous!!! It was a nearly packed lounge and we had 2 Vietnam war era veterans both with double Purple Hearts and they both blew the crowd away. Mike did a great job and I couldn’t be happier that I took time out of all the basic cruise activities to participate.

Kudos to carnival for making this happen fleet wide!!!

I guess we will still have to check in elsewhere before dinner, as my hubby does not have a smartphone, and I only use mine for pics on a cruise. I do not use any apps when on a cruise. I tried the NCL app when we sailed with our daughter’s family, but when I found out they didn’t, I took it off, as I’d have nobody I needed to communicate with. We will be sailing the Breeze in 2019 and trying YTD. For our 2020 cruise, we chose early dinning because it would just be easier for Carnival to seat all 25+ of us, as that is a family cruise to celebrate our 50th Anniversary.

On the Breeze, you check in at the MDR. They only started the alternate check in location on the Vista class ships. Maybe to eliminate lines forming at the entrance of the MDR.