Advantages of travel agents?

Ben2travel

21 hours ago, Jgoodall08 said:

Thanks for replying! I’m bummed because I have two cruises booked with a travel agent (2 cabins for each cruise) and I did the online comparing of prices and got quotes with a lot more OBC than what my travel agent was giving me. 😞

6 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Depending on the cruise line you might be able to move your cruise to a online TA if you haven't paid in full and if its within 60 days of booking, your OBC would move plus you would get any perks the TA offered.

Moving a reservation from a cruise line to a travel agent is easy if done in the correct timeframe.  You really have to have a compelling reason to switch from one travel agent to another afaik.

Do your research and ask questions when picking one. Some just do the work for you so you don't have to. Others throw in some perks. I never used one because I wanted full control of my booking, but I was very comfortable with managing all aspects of my cruises myself.

We love using our long time Travel Agent who takes care of everything for us and deals with any problems.

We still remain in control of our cruise.  Just call our TA it gets done immediately.  :classic_wink:

Edited by OCruisers

On 12/11/2018 at 5:08 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

With some significant research (I've posted "how" nunervous times on CC) and a focus on your preferred cruise line,

Could you provide link for me to one such thread, I would like to learn how to save more and go where I want.

Thanks

Alan

3 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Could you provide link for me to one such thread, I would like to learn how to save more and go where I want.

Thanks

Alan

Providing you with a "link" would have me doing your research for you. That said, using the search feature here on CC will get you to mine and others' posts on this subject. 

Finding a great TA is far far more work than asking your neighbor or contacting the local "big box" store. But, you will be rewarded in the end. Good luck with your research. 

3 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I have never gotten an explanation of the meaning of "I want to maintain control". What does that get you? We have taken about 65 cruises all booked thru a TA. I have never thought that I wished I had control. 

yeah - that "control" comment always has me chuckling. 

A single passenger is a "rounding error" in a cruise line's bottom line while the line's preferred TA partners may book millions of dollars per year with them and gave the regional sales manager as a speed dial (while the DIY customer sits on hold (and hold and hold and hold..)

Even having a line's PCC handling your account is pretty much worthless when it come to any disagreement issue. That PCC is paid by the cruise line. Your TA is paid by YOU (I.e., their commission from the cruise line comes from your payment).

Bottom line: Who do you think will get better results AND share their commission with you??? 

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Providing you with a "link" would have me doing your research for you. That said, using the search feature here on CC will get you to mine and others' posts on this subject. 

Finding a great TA is far far more work than asking your neighbor or contacting the local "big box" store. But, you will be rewarded in the end. Good luck with your research. 

I asked because search is indexing. I can wait

thanks

image.thumb.png.e034b3df058513eb7a30fb7395cf7dd0.png

this is the same result and I can't search your profile

image.thumb.png.f96f467e2609da13c1130aff94eb944c.png

Edited by AlanF65

22 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I asked because search is indexing. I can wait

thanks

image.thumb.png.e034b3df058513eb7a30fb7395cf7dd0.png

this is the same result and I can't search your profile

image.thumb.png.f96f467e2609da13c1130aff94eb944c.png

Here's one link I just searched for. Merry Christmas.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2566095-finding-an-experienced-travel-agent-for-first-cruise/

Example of TA getting helping out.  We already had a very good deal (we thought) for a 17 day South America cruise in a balcony:  $1799pp.  Came on our roll call here one day and someone posted that Princess had lowered the price by $500pp!  Emailed TA, he got back to us right away and got us the better price.  This price lasted less than one day, then was back up again.  And, we lost no perks or OBC.  So, net gain of $1000 and no loss of anything.

Could we have done it on our own?  Maybe, but no guarantees.  We had already had some nice OBC from this travel agent too and a couple of other perks, like free grats.

Thinking back I believe we could have gotten the $1299 price but chose a cabin in a better location and with a sofa for $1349 instead.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, paul929207 said:

I have never gotten an explanation of the meaning of "I want to maintain control". What does that get you? We have taken about 65 cruises all booked thru a TA. I have never thought that I wished I had control. 

We have often seen that lame comment here on CC and heard it from cruisers while on ships.  It defies most logic, but we have learned to just smile and change the subject.  Even telling somebody that they can usually save 7-10% by carefully choosing a cruise agent (versus booking direct with a cruise line) will often get another lame comment.  As one who owns stock in both major cruise Corporations (RCI and CCL) we are aways happy to meet folks who book direct and enjoy cruise line excursions :).  It certainly enhances the cruise line's bottom line and helps increase the value of our investment.

Hank

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

The last cruise I booked I pulled a page from Hlitner's novel and contacted 4 travel agents from 4 major travel agencies.  There was a $320 price difference across the 4 agencies not counting OBC.  I went with the best deal from an agency I've never used before (but is widely known if I were to mention the name). I'm getting my stockholder's OBC as well as additional OBC from the agent. 

I was very nervous using an agent for the first time. I've found an agent is the best way to go, particularly when the cruise line needs to be contacted for sorting out something unusual.  My agent sits on hold and not me!

So, now you're ready to up your game, particularly if you have a preferred cruise line.

Our strategy works well for Oceania and some variation of it will work for most (if not all) premium and luxury lines.

Over the years, we have researched/developed a  list of Oceania's "preferred" partners (members of Oceania's Connoisseurs Club fir their top sellers). These TAs (paid on a sliding commission scale per total O sales) receive early info on new itineraries and have occasional access to rotating special "O partner" sales with reduced cabin pricing.

With TA list in hand, we most often book onboard to get a combination of BoB discount price, match guarantee for future price drops and SBC on the current cruise. We then always assign the BoB cruise to ourselves and then "shop it around" to our Rolodex of O's Connoisseurs Club TAs within the 30 day window for transfers. A simple e-mail asking what's the best the TA can add to the O deal gets quick replies and we will select that individual (for transfer) whose combination of price credit and/or refundable SBC, service, attitude and O influence will serve us best for that particular cruise. 

And yes, the list is updated/modified regularly based primarily on multiple onboard discussions with other Oceania regulars.

The "shop around" strategy also works with non BoB cruise shopping.

One other thought, re: your comment about "waiting on hold." Ideally, you want a handful of TAs who have your preferred cruise line's regional sales director as a speed dial on their phone. Problem? -- No problem!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

• 2 months later...

Not sure this is the best thread to post this, but ...  I am going to do my best to not violate the CC rules.

I requested and received a number of quotes for a luxury cruise.  After I received the quotes, I went to the cruise line's web site and found the "best" quote providers are listed on the cruise line's site as "recommended" travel agencies. I called the cruise line and was told the agents listed on its site were "vetted" (to some extent).  I have not worked with any of the agencies before.  The travel agency I have worked with before didn't even get me the "$250 OBC" type credit.

All quotes were discounted prices from the line's site prices.  Some quotes were better than the "standard $250 OBC" type offer.  The other quotes are WAY, WAY BETTER than the "standard $250 OBC" credit.  Sorry, trying to keep this nebulous enough to stay within this sites rules, but get my thoughts across.

1. What am I missing that these "vetted" travel agents can provide such discounts?

2. Is there something else I should be reviewing that I am missing?

Thanks for any insight!

1 hour ago, T^2 said:

Not sure this is the best thread to post this, but ...  I am going to do my best to not violate the CC rules.

I requested and received a number of quotes for a luxury cruise.  After I received the quotes, I went to the cruise line's web site and found the "best" quote providers are listed on the cruise line's site as "recommended" travel agencies. I called the cruise line and was told the agents listed on its site were "vetted" (to some extent).  I have not worked with any of the agencies before.  The travel agency I have worked with before didn't even get me the "$250 OBC" type credit.

All quotes were discounted prices from the line's site prices.  Some quotes were better than the "standard $250 OBC" type offer.  The other quotes are WAY, WAY BETTER than the "standard $250 OBC" credit.  Sorry, trying to keep this nebulous enough to stay within this sites rules, but get my thoughts across.

1. What am I missing that these "vetted" travel agents can provide such discounts?

2. Is there something else I should be reviewing that I am missing?

Thanks for any insight!

Reread my earlier post (#66) and a ton of others (on the subject of "why a TA?) you can find in a CC search (including several of mine).

The bottom line (as far as the finances go) is that TAs "best deal" may include:

>Price discounting allowed to the TA by the cruise line (always or as an occasional "quiet sale" rotated among the line's preferred TA partners and/or the TA's membership in a consortia that has its own agreements with a particular cruise line.

>A restatement of whatever break the cruise line is already offering (stated in a misleading way that suggests the perks are coming from the TA).

>Pass through "incentive" funds (e.g., for new customers) provided to the TA from a cruise line (e.g., complimentary gratuities)

>Discounts related to group bookings.

>"Commission sharing" (this is the biggie!!!)

We just did a "book onboard" for a long cruise late in 2020 and assigned it to ourselves. We then "shopped it around" for transfer to one of our regular TAs. The difference in a commission sharing rebate from one TA to the one we finally selected was almost $1k more beyond an already attractive offer.

And, of course, The TA add-on was in addition to whatever perks the cruise line was already offering.

Do the homework and you'll be rewarded.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:03 AM, Scrapnana said:

Unless you choose a really bad TA, the only real complaint is that you do not "own" your booking. In other words, you cannot talk with the cruise line directly, your TA has to. For me that is a bonus because my TA has years of experience dealing with the cruise lines that I don't (plus I am a rotten negotiator). There are some people though who do not like losing direct control over their booking.

Small correction:  I've talked to the cruise line several times when I was booked through a travel agent.  They will talk with you but  you have to go through the agent to make any changes.  

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Small correction:  I've talked to the cruise line several times when I was booked through a travel agent.  They will talk with you but  you have to go through the agent to make any changes.  

Correction to the correction: what you can/cannot change without calling the TA varies from cruise line to cruise line and item to item.

On our preferred line, we can change the form of our provided perks (e.g., SBC to tours, booze) and purchase/change optional items, etc. w/o TA involvement.

As aforementioned by numerous CC posters, the concept of "own my booking" is bogus.

While you (having booked yourself) are waiting on line to speak to a low level cruise line phone rep or "personal cruise consultant" (neither of who can share a non-existent commission), my carefully chosen TA (a top seller for the line, perhaps booking $ millions annually) has the line's regional sales director as a speed dial. Who do do think can more easily fix a FUBAR to benefit the consumer first AND provide you 5-10% of your cruise fare as a rebate or refundable SBC?

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Correction to the correction: what you can/cannot change without calling the TA varies from cruise line to cruise line and item to item.

On our preferred line, we can change the form of our provided perks (e.g., SBC to tours, booze) and purchase/change optional items, etc. w/o TA involvement.

As aforementioned by numerous CC posters, the concept of "own my booking" is bogus.

While you (having booked yourself) are waiting on line to speak to a low level cruise line phone rep or "personal cruise consultant" (neither of who can share a non-existent commission), my carefully chosen TA (a top seller for the line, perhaps booking $ millions annually) has the line's regional sales director as a speed dial. Who do do think can more easily fix a FUBAR to benefit the consumer first AND provide you 5-10% of your cruise fare as a rebate or refundable SBC?

Correct, but I wanted to correct the common misconception that lines will not talk to you if  you have booked through a TA.  They will and the extent depends upon the line.  The one commonality is that they won't make any changes to the booking.  Those have to come through the TA.

Another factor not often mentioned is the ability for a TA to deal with multiple lines.  I had two cruise booked on two lines.  I decided to change to other lines.  I was able to do this with one phone call.  I had the documentation of the changes within five minutes.  It would have taken four calls to make the changes had I booked through the cruise line.  I have no idea of how long I would have spent on hold.

I use a TA who is also a top producer.  I plan to take some river cruises in the future.  She can handle those as well.  Her standard discount/rebate is 10%.  I book suites so that can really add up.  I noticed a price drop this past week.  A simple email disclosed that the drop was due to a promotion being discountinued.  I had the option of keeping some perks or a lower price.  I decided to keep the perks.

Some insightful comments, thanks.  I was being too obtuse.  My question really was: does anyone have any suggestions on what else to check on a TA other than being on the cruise line's site as a "preferred" travel agent and no BBB complaints?  The TA I am looking to go with is offering a price for say a category 3 (better) cabin at the category 2 cabin rate.  One TA matched the price but the cruise line and other TAs aren't even close to this low of a price.

1 minute ago, T^2 said:

Some insightful comments, thanks.  I was being too obtuse.  My question really was: does anyone have any suggestions on what else to check on a TA other than being on the cruise line's site as a "preferred" travel agent and no BBB complaints?  The TA I am looking to go with is offering a price for say a category 3 (better) cabin at the category 2 cabin rate.  One TA matched the price but the cruise line and other TAs aren't even close to this low of a price.

If you can find a TA that gives perks (obc or discount or rebate) of about 8-10% and without funky conditions go for it.

By funky I mean there should be no other fees beyond those charged by the cruise lines.  

16 hours ago, T^2 said:

Welcome to the world of the Internet and Internet Search Engines.  As part of your due diligence do a search for that particular agency on a couple of search engines such as Google and Bing.  You can also enhance the search by typing in something like the agencies name and the world "complaints" and surrounding it with quotes.  And when you are on a cruise and socializing with others (some folks still know how to socialize face to face rather then texting) ask folks if they have favorite travel/cruise agencies and why?  

And yes, the cruise sales business is very competitive (despite some folks who are still in denial).  Shopping around (among reputable high volume cruise agencies) will often save cruisers as much as 10% over booking directly with a cruise line.  As to dealing directly with a cruise line, my question would be why?  Many of the folks you talk to at the cruise lines are simply clerks (with some training) who answer most questions based on "scripts" which they can quickly access on their monitors.  Using good high volume agencies means you can have folks, who have more training, use the clout of their agency to get you answers and deals that you, as a single customer, cannot even access.   And if you wonder why cruise lines use agencies it is good business.  One rep of a major cruise line told us that about 80% of all their bookings comes from cruise/travel agents.   In over forty years of extensive cruising we have yet to find a single good reason to deal directly with a cruise line.  Perhaps this will change in the future, but for now we do all of our many bookings through several cruise agencies (whichever has the best deal).

Hank

• Like 1

OK, pending first-time cruiser here so I don't pretend to know anything at all. I am speaking only from my own personal experience. 

My extended family are going on an NCL cruise -- 5 cabins over 4 families. My brother-in-law offered his big-time corporate travel agent for the whole family (all cruise newbies) and initially I said thanks. However, the price she got was the exact same as the price I got going through the website. In addition, she put us all in for the unlimited free booze perk without asking, but since we hardly drink it did not make sense to pay the 20% gratuity, which would have added about $700 per booking. 

In the end the rest of my family went through this travel agent (dropping the booze perk once I told them about the autogratuity) and I booked direct with NCL because I wanted an alternate route for comparison purposes. Since that time, I have seen two price drops and taken advantage of both of them by calling NCL directly (5 minute phone call each time), for a total savings of $2,000 on my own initial $8500 reservation for the exact same cabin. The travel agent did not volunteer either price drop and seems to be unaware they occurred -- it took prodding from me for her to check for my family members and I still don't know if she was able to get the price drops. She also has not volunteered any OBC or other perks to anybody in the family, including my sister and brother-in-law, who are getting the $20,000 luxury cabin ( for the exact same price I saw on the website). I am waiting to see if she even sends them some wine or chocolates or something. 

I have no doubt that some travel agents can get big volume discounts and work the system like a grandmaster. However, based on my own experience, I would just say NOT ALL TRAVEL AGENTS ARE CREATED EQUAL. As a newbie, I would love to get advice on how one gets in with the amazing cruise TAs or how one can tell the TA they are working with is not just going through the motions. Maybe they don't exist in Canada (where I am)? Or do you have to do a certain volume of business before you can get in?

Edited to add: I didn't have a chance to read all the other posts when I posted, so I missed that some people did have tips. I'll be checking them out.

Edited by Freshycat

OP: not just this thread but a zillion threads on CC discuss how (and why) to find the RIGHT Travel Agent for cruising in general and a preferred cruise line in particular. 

As for it taking time to research, recognize that just the "commission sharing" you might earn for a few hours of your time could be substantial (hundreds to thousands of dollars on longer higher end cruises).

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

The TA that you chose to book with should "always" offer something better than booking direct .

Discount , OBC, Amenities,  anything to "thank you" for the booking .

Previous  poster's 5 cabins ! Wow , what a greedy TA .

We generally expect to save a minimum of 10% (over booking direct with the cruise line) although our actual savings has varied from about 7% to over 15% (and this happened on a $20,000+ booking).   We once met a couple that told us they saved over $10,000 on a single booking by using a cruise agency....but that was on a  Crystal Cruises world voyage.  I teased the guy that he should have saved at least $20,000 and we did "drink to that :)"

Hank

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We generally expect to save a minimum of 10% (over booking direct with the cruise line) although our actual savings has varied from about 7% to over 15% (and this happened on a $20,000+ booking).   We once met a couple that told us they saved over $10,000 on a single booking by using a cruise agency....but that was on a  Crystal Cruises world voyage.  I teased the guy that he should have saved at least $20,000 and we did "drink to that :)"

Hank

LOL, I don't even spend $10k for the total trip. Obviously if one is booking a very expensive cruise one can find a TA to save them lots of money. At the other end of the spectrum, not so much.