Cannes on a Sunday

TJ250

Hi. We will be in Cannes on the 2nd Sunday in June on a Disney Cruise. We are a family of two teens, two parents, two grandparents. The grandparents are mobile, but tire easily from walking. We are trying to determine what to do. We arrive at 9am and onboard is at 6:15, and of course it's a tender port. Can you comment on the following?

Option 1 is to hang out in Cannes all day on our own, seeing the town and maybe hanging at the beach. Do I need to know anything about being in Cannes on a Sunday? Are shops open? Are there things to do?

Option 2 is to take the train to another city (Antibes, Nice, Monaco, Monte Carlo, other?). I'm hearing Nice is the best place for a first time guest. But, my husband is leaning towards Monte Carlo and/or Monaco. I kind of like the idea of Antibes. Is there anything I need to know about visiting any of these ports on a Sunday?

An ideal day in any of these places would be to get a feel for the local culture, spend some time hanging at the beach or people watching, and maybe finding some good wine to take back on board the ship. The kids prefer activities, so maybe a bike rental or paddle boarding. The grandparents just enjoy being around the rest of us, but do get tired easily and are concerned about missing the boat. We will probably skip museums because we will have seen plenty of those in other ports.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

There is a lovely free beach about 5 mins walk from where the tenders arrive in (with the sea behind you, on the left of the port area). Lots of restaurants etc across the road from the Port area too.

You are in for a long day at Cannes. Yes, there are some things to see and do, but you are in for a long beach day. I would take the train to Antibes or Nice first thing in the morning, then come back to Cannes around noon or so, have lunch and spend the afternoon at the beach in Cannes. The Flower market in Nice is great on a Sunday morning. So is wandering around in Antibes.