Our Viking Orion experience

T&jw

The Orion is a beautiful ship and the crew is awesome. We booked 3 cruises back to back, starting in Barcelona, ending in Athens. Our flights, transfers, cruises, and post extension in Athens were all arranged by Viking. Our experience wasn’t great on the first 2 cruises. The morning of our flight for departure we got a text that our flight out of Portland would be 2 1/2 hrs late, leaving us 1 minute in Chicago for connecting flight to Zurich. We called Viking immediately, we were told to call the airport and see what we could find. We replied that they need to find flights to get us to the ship on time, which they did, and that they would notify Viking reps in Barcelona of our changed arrival time for transfers. But the too short of connection time in Frankfurt was a problem. We ran to make the connection, however our luggage didn’t make it onto the plane. Arriving in Barcelona, the Viking reps were surprised to see us and we were surprised our luggage wasn’t there. Viking reps told us it will be on the next flight in 1 1/2 hrs. We wanted to wait for it, but they said don’t worry, we are your travel agents, we will get your luggage to the ship tonight, then had us file a claim. Later we found out they took us to the wrong window for the claim. No luggage. All we had were the clothes on our backs. Almost every day we were told it should be at the next port, so we waited to try to find clothes. After several days, we had to find time to shop for clothes. We had to cancel excursions we were excited about, and gave up all our free time in several ports, trying to find clothes to fit. Being a larger man, my husband found not one thing to fit him, and what I found was temporary as there isn’t much I will wear at home. A vacation we anticipated for a year and a half should be fun, not spent shopping for necessities.

I’ll tell you how our days went. It was very hot and humid. We were very sweaty returning from excursions (or shopping). We removed our clothes, put on the provided robes, I used the hairdryer to dry my bra, undies, and clothes, my husband dried all his clothes, just so we could eat dinner in dry clothes. After dinner, we returned to our room, removed our clothes, put on the robes, sent our clothes out for overnight laundry and sat in our room. Our clothes were delivered to us the next morning, to put on the same clothes, to start that day, which was going to go just like the day before and the day before that. We couldn’t go out in the evenings to enjoy the entertainment, we couldn’t go swimming, we couldn’t socialize, we basically slept and ate on this beautiful ship and couldn’t enjoy the amenities. There were parts of the ship we didn’t know were there until the last week.

The friends we were traveling with, one got their luggage on day 2, my husband got his on day 8, the other friend and I got ours on day 15. Two thirds of our vacation was gone.

We haven’t asked Viking for anything, but feel they should do the right thing, step up and offer something. Their website refers to them acting as our travel agents, when a guest calls to book a vacation we are told they are our travel agents, the Viking reps in Barcelona even called themselves our travel agents, but apparently that’s not so. When there’s a problem, then they say they’re not travel agents. To clarify for when we want to make future bookings, my husband called guest relations to ask whether or not they are. Not only was he told they are not acting as travel agents, when my husband tried to explain why he was asking, the Viking person was rude, interrupted him and didn’t allow him to finish. My husband called again the next day, a different Viking person treated him in the same manner. So be warned, if you think Viking is your travel agent, they’re not. You’re on your own if you have problems. Viking can’t have it both ways, either they are or aren’t acting as travel agents.

As I started, the Orion is beautiful and the crew is exceptional! The GM was wonderful and used resources on board to try to make our time as good as it could be under the circumstances. But for this booking, Viking fell down in almost every other way.

In the meantime, our purchase claims are submitted to both Travel Mate travel insurance and Lufthansa. We are waiting to hear from the travel insurance, but they want to hear from Lufthansa first. But aside from automated replies to our repeated emails, we’re finding it impossible to get ahold of Lufthansa, and this has put us in an impossible situation for reimbursement of necessities purchased. We have spent many, many hours dealing with this, and none of this was our fault. Things shouldn’t be this hard.T&jw

Terry and Jackie Woebke

We booked all travels with Chase Reserve card. All medical, trip delays and baggage lost covered by them.(Not Viking or third party travel insurance) Just go buy 600 dollars worth of cloths(allowance) and they will see bills on card and credit immediately .

No from Viking. Submitted to Lufthansa, have not heard from them and they’re really what’s holding everything up.

The airline is the root source of the problem. They lost your and others' luggage. Having been through this with different airlines, what you're experiencing is sadly typical.

Although it's not a root Viking problem I suggest that in these instances of > single day missing luggage Viking come up with an emergency assistance plan. It would put them in good stead with customers. Suggest something like choice of a few relevant clothing items from onboard store. Better yet a couple hundred dollar basic clothing voucher so folks could buy one outfit with basic shirt, pants underwear to swap out. Include free laundry.

So sorry you had a bad experience. It seems that the airport side of things is one area Viking needs to up it's game. We are just off the Orion and our flight from LHR was delayed by 19 hours. When we eventually arrived at the airport there were no Viking people there and when they did eventually arrive they had a 35 seater coach!! for over 50 of us. Then a small mini coach. 2/3 couples were put in taxis (Have you seem the taxis in Mumbai!!!!).

Having said all that, once we were on the ship I can't praise the crew, the food, the drinks, the ship itself highly enough. The start did not spoil our holiday.

We will do several things differently next time. We did try to buy clothes but being in a new resortish and unfamiliar city in a strange country every day, it’s not like walking off the ship and finding a Macys. Nothing we found fit my husband and or me very well and I’m average size. It’s the experiences we missed on and off board...

Lessons learned

@philw

All good ideas, as the GM told us, they are still learning. We felt if Viking would have done a couple things differently, things may have ended differently, so we believe Viking shares some responsibility with Lufthansa.

@sherrar

19 hrs is a long time!

We had the same experience with the crew, they were fabulous! They seemed to all know our predicament and went beyond.

From past experiences also, we agree the flight part is where Viking needs great improvement. Like, it makes no sense that we paid in full in November, they hold onto our money and don’t ticket us until the last minute. We were originally put in the very last row, no reclining seats on international flight is no bueno. But, they tell us after we ask about it, for another $25 they will ticket earlier. They probably can make $25 in interest just on the over $20,000 we paid in November to fly in July.

So sorry to hear about your experience. Luggage delay is a hassle particularly on a Viking cruise as there isn't a lot of shopping options onboard.

I always pack a change of clothes and clean underwear in my carry on and a bathing suit if it is a beach vacation. 4 bathing suits at a resort are expensive and nothing I would wear again.

Let us know how it turns out.

I've been waiting for Orion reviews to start popping up....wow sad to see this is one of the first ones! But it sounds like the ship was wonderful, Viking management, not. I'm so sorry for all the difficulty you went through. What should have been a vacation turned out into more into survival mode for you. I could not even imagine trying to find clothes for my husband, he is very tall and even finding special order pants for him is a real trick.

Any of you who can give us more Orion info, I am sure everyone would love to hear it.

Just off Orion. She is a beautiful ship - so full of quiet areas you begin to wonder just where the other 928 passengers are. I would say the decor is fairly minimalist which fits in well with the Nordic theme. We have only been on larger ships before (minimum 1800) so although the ship is smaller in size it doesn't really detract from anything. You are never that far from anywhere you want to go - you don't need to put your hiking gear on like we have felt before.

The food is great, the drinks are fairly free flowing despite what I had read before I went.

The big, big plus point is the staff - nothing is too much for them - they don't know the meaning of the word NO!. They know your names within a couple of days. They ask for your room number a couple of times and then seem to remember it. They use a small hand held device (mobile phone size) that seems to have everything they need to know about you. On the second night, I declined to see the desert menu and said I knew what I wanted - sure enough the waitress said "Creme Brulee?" - took me a while to figure out how she did it but I was very impressed.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask.

Very sorry to hear about your luggage experience.

Hindsight being 20/20, when traveling large distances with multiple flights I think it’s agood idea to pay for a luggage delivery service.

I have had good results with Luggage Forward and Luggage Free. Not cheap, but not having to claim and haul luggage through international airports and knowing your luggage is waiting for you at your destination makes it worth the cost.

@marykatesmom

Yes, you’re right, shopping options onboard are very limited. We found mostly long pants and sweaters, impossible for the hot weather we had.

I think that might be something Viking needs to work on. Clothing options that matches the climate and the time of year.

What made me smile and think about this is we frequently cruise Disney Cruise Line. You could have easily bought a new outfit every day of the cruise including underwear, socks, shoes, hats, gloves, etc. Disney does not miss an opportunity to sell you stuff.

Hindsight being 20/20, when traveling large distances with multiple flights I think it’s agood idea to pay for a luggage delivery service.

I have had good results with Luggage Forward and Luggage Free. Not cheap, but not having to claim and haul luggage through international airports and knowing your luggage is waiting for you at your destination makes it worth the cost.

That is one option, with obvious benefits. A less costly plan is to always travel with a carryon with medicines, necessities, and several changes of clothes. That doesn't prevent the challenge of lost luggage, but it does mitigate the problem.

The other hint I read before my first trip was that, when traveling with a companion, cross pack, putting some of each person's clothes in each suitcase.

So far we have been lucky with luggage, but our trip next week has three legs, so I am fitting as much as possible in my carryon!

That is one option, with obvious benefits. A less costly plan is to always travel with a carryon with medicines, necessities, and several changes of clothes. That doesn't prevent the challenge of lost luggage, but it does mitigate the problem.

The other hint I read before my first trip was that, when traveling with a companion, cross pack, putting some of each person's clothes in each suitcase.

So far we have been lucky with luggage, but our trip next week has three legs, so I am fitting as much as possible in my carryon!

Good points. We are doing a 4 night pre cruise excursion to Angkor Wat in April. We plan on living out of our carryons for this leg of the trip and have our real luggage sent directly to the ship using Luggage Forward.

We love luggage forward, but that type of service is not available everywhere. So if your connecting airport in the US does not have it, you're kind of out of luck.

LOL. Even though we have finally figured out how to travel with carry-on only, we still cross-pack and I still make sure that at least a clean shirt and a change of undies for each of us goes into the "personal" item that never leaves my side --just in case they decide that we have to check one or more of our carry-on bags.

LOL. Even though we have finally figured out how to travel with carry-on only, we still cross-pack and I still make sure that at least a clean shirt and a change of undies for each of us goes into the "personal" item that never leaves my side --just in case they decide that we have to check one or more of our carry-on bags.

Oh, I never thought of that possibility. Our carry-ons are small in comparison with many, and fit easily in the overhead bins, but that doesn't guarantee it couldn't happen. Now you've given me one more thing to worry about!! I may need to go buy a bigger purse.

This is what I do for years - cross pack :). Yes, you have to have carry-on. We have small ones each with personal stuff, electronics, meds, and change of clothes. Our luggage was delayed only two times in our lives. Both times it was delivered by late evening. Lufthansa kept us informed all the time and even text me when it arrived, and then another text that Viking picked it up. We had very nice Viking rep who fortunately brought us to a correct window where we filed our claim. We notified Guest services when onboard and got amenities kits. Our stewards brought suitcases to our cabin.

T&jw, I'm very sorry this happened to you. I think it's everyone's nightmare.

Lackcreativity, great idea to cross-pack. My wife and I have been traveling internationally for more than 40 years and have never thought to do that. One thing we have started doing is carrying small backpacks. We noticed a lot of young people doing this. The key is to make sure that the backpack will fit under the seat in front of you according to airline guidelines, that way there is no chance you will be required to check that carry-on. We can usually carry two days worth of clothes even in a small backpack. The other thing we do is to wear one of our nicer outfits on the plane. For me, this usually means a dress shirt, slacks and a blazer. For my wife it is usually a dressy pants suit. Doing this seems to have also helped us get a few upgrades. In situations where a tux and evening gown are required we have on occasion shipped just these items ahead. Believe it or not, the US Post Office has the best rates for international shipments like this.

Once upon a time, I was going on a med cruise and the airline lost my luggage..I was so sad to watch the luggage carousel going round and my luggage not on it.. it took 5 days for my luggage to find me.. it saw more of Europe than me..but the lesson learned was I now take 4 days clothes, all meds in my carry on..

Btw I was on the Viking Orion ATHENS to MUMBAI..feel that there was some issues.. hopefully will be resolved by the Australia and New Zealand cruise.

Edited by geffric

Once upon a time, I was going on a med cruise and the airline lost my luggage..I was so sad to watch the luggage carousel going round and my luggage not on it.. it took 5 days for my luggage to find me.. it saw more of Europe than me..but the lesson learned was I now take 4 days clothes, all meds in my carry on..

Btw I was on the Viking Orion ATHENS to MUMBAI..feel that their was some issues.. hopefully will be resolved by the Australia and New Zealand cruise.

May I ask what type of issues? Would love to hear more about the ship as we'll be on the end of December.

The Orion is a beautiful ship and the crew is awesome. We booked 3 cruises back to back, starting in Barcelona, ending in Athens. Our flights, transfers, cruises, and post extension in Athens were all arranged by Viking. Our experience wasn’t great on the first 2 cruises. The morning of our flight for departure we got a text that our flight out of Portland would be 2 1/2 hrs late, leaving us 1 minute in Chicago for connecting flight to Zurich. We called Viking immediately, we were told to call the airport and see what we could find. We replied that they need to find flights to get us to the ship on time, which they did, and that they would notify Viking reps in Barcelona of our changed arrival time for transfers. But the too short of connection time in Frankfurt was a problem. We ran to make the connection, however our luggage didn’t make it onto the plane. Arriving in Barcelona, the Viking reps were surprised to see us and we were surprised our luggage wasn’t there. Viking reps told us it will be on the next flight in 1 1/2 hrs. We wanted to wait for it, but they said don’t worry, we are your travel agents, we will get your luggage to the ship tonight, then had us file a claim. Later we found out they took us to the wrong window for the claim. No luggage. All we had were the clothes on our backs. Almost every day we were told it should be at the next port, so we waited to try to find clothes. After several days, we had to find time to shop for clothes. We had to cancel excursions we were excited about, and gave up all our free time in several ports, trying to find clothes to fit. Being a larger man, my husband found not one thing to fit him, and what I found was temporary as there isn’t much I will wear at home. A vacation we anticipated for a year and a half should be fun, not spent shopping for necessities.

I’ll tell you how our days went. It was very hot and humid. We were very sweaty returning from excursions (or shopping). We removed our clothes, put on the provided robes, I used the hairdryer to dry my bra, undies, and clothes, my husband dried all his clothes, just so we could eat dinner in dry clothes. After dinner, we returned to our room, removed our clothes, put on the robes, sent our clothes out for overnight laundry and sat in our room. Our clothes were delivered to us the next morning, to put on the same clothes, to start that day, which was going to go just like the day before and the day before that. We couldn’t go out in the evenings to enjoy the entertainment, we couldn’t go swimming, we couldn’t socialize, we basically slept and ate on this beautiful ship and couldn’t enjoy the amenities. There were parts of the ship we didn’t know were there until the last week.

The friends we were traveling with, one got their luggage on day 2, my husband got his on day 8, the other friend and I got ours on day 15. Two thirds of our vacation was gone.

We haven’t asked Viking for anything, but feel they should do the right thing, step up and offer something. Their website refers to them acting as our travel agents, when a guest calls to book a vacation we are told they are our travel agents, the Viking reps in Barcelona even called themselves our travel agents, but apparently that’s not so. When there’s a problem, then they say they’re not travel agents. To clarify for when we want to make future bookings, my husband called guest relations to ask whether or not they are. Not only was he told they are not acting as travel agents, when my husband tried to explain why he was asking, the Viking person was rude, interrupted him and didn’t allow him to finish. My husband called again the next day, a different Viking person treated him in the same manner. So be warned, if you think Viking is your travel agent, they’re not. You’re on your own if you have problems. Viking can’t have it both ways, either they are or aren’t acting as travel agents.

As I started, the Orion is beautiful and the crew is exceptional! The GM was wonderful and used resources on board to try to make our time as good as it could be under the circumstances. But for this booking, Viking fell down in almost every other way.

In the meantime, our purchase claims are submitted to both Travel Mate travel insurance and Lufthansa. We are waiting to hear from the travel insurance, but they want to hear from Lufthansa first. But aside from automated replies to our repeated emails, we’re finding it impossible to get ahold of Lufthansa, and this has put us in an impossible situation for reimbursement of necessities purchased. We have spent many, many hours dealing with this, and none of this was our fault. Things shouldn’t be this hard.T&jw

Terry and Jackie Woebke

I am surprised to hear your story and that Viking did not step up. One of our past trips had some difficulty with the river levels being too high to pass under and we had to be rerouted by bus. We were offered the opportunity to re schedule the trip or cancel for a full refund, Or take 50% off a future cruise. We chose the latter and have to say that Viking did an exceptional job in re-routing us in Germany. We stayed at lavish spas and hotels until we were able to pick up another river cruiser on the other side of the disabled bridge. As far as trip insurance--Trip Mate will do everything to not pay you. I think they stall so that you will just give up. Your documents get lost, they ask for ridiculous things. It took me 8 months to receive the final payment for emergency room visits. I must have resent all the paperwork 6 times. Insist on speaking with a supervisor when the going gets rough and email her or call every couple of days. Nightmare