Whale sightings

MVoelker

This is a link to the Facebook page for one of the Bay of Fundy whale watch companies. They typically post their current sightings. The whale watching season is winding down as our beautiful humpbacks are getting ready to head south to the mating and calving grounds. I hope you enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BrierIslandWhaleWatch/about/?ref=page_internal

• Like 1

Frequently juveniles who are too young to participate in mating and calving as well as pregnant mamas who are trying to feed as much as possible before heading south hang out to feed as long as they can do so. The breeding/calving grounds do not have food for them so they must fast until they come north next year. The difference in body fat on a female that is pregnant and heading south compared to the same female when she returns with a calf in the spring is stuning. They are truly magnificent creatures. I know that each day I can spend with them is a great privilege. I am happy to answer any questions about them that I can. Enjoy!

Frequently juveniles who are too young to participate in mating and calving as well as pregnant mamas who are trying to feed as much as possible before heading south hang out to feed as long as they can do so. The breeding/calving grounds do not have food for them so they must fast until they come north next year. The difference in body fat on a female that is pregnant and heading south compared to the same female when she returns with a calf in the spring is stuning. They are truly magnificent creatures. I know that each day I can spend with them is a great privilege. I am happy to answer any questions about them that I can. Enjoy!

When is the best time of year to see them?

Thanks

Driftwoodgal,

If you want to see whales off of the coast of Massachusetts the best time is mid spring through early fall. The Gulf of Maine population feeds off of the coast of Massachusetts (Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge) up to the Bay of Fundy. The vast majority of my experience is in the Stellwagen Bank/Jeffery's Ledge area. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use responsible and respectful whale watch companies. Are you planning a cruise to New England/Canada?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, MVoelker said:

Has anyone recently been on a whale watching tour in the Bay of Fundy? Just wondering how regular the siting have been in the past few weeks.

How was your trip? Did you see Sedge? Sedge is typically a very 'relaxed' whale but I am hearing that this year was an exception.

Last night, I was reading some recaps for this past season in the Bay of Fundy and they were saying that it was an renarkable year up there!

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2018 at 7:58 PM, Pepper0074 said:

Driftwoodgal,

If you want to see whales off of the coast of Massachusetts the best time is mid spring through early fall. The Gulf of Maine population feeds off of the coast of Massachusetts (Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge) up to the Bay of Fundy. The vast majority of my experience is in the Stellwagen Bank/Jeffery's Ledge area. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use responsible and respectful whale watch companies. Are you planning a cruise to New England/Canada?

We will be docked in St. John's NB from 10-6 on Sunday, Sept. 22.   Which company do you suggest as preferable and within this time frame, is this doable and/or advisable?   Do these companies provide transport from pier or would we need to rent a car?  Thanks!

Macy

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, wannasail4ever said:

We will be docked in St. John's NB from 10-6 on Sunday, Sept. 22.   Which company do you suggest as preferable and within this time frame, is this doable and/or advisable?   Do these companies provide transport from pier or would we need to rent a car?  Thanks!

Macy

I'm sorry, I can't help you with this. I do the vast majority of my whaling from various ports in Massachusetts. 

While we still do plenty of whaling in our area at that time of year, I would be concerned about the migration having been started from NB then. I would check with the possible companies for their sightings.

• Thanks 1