Which leg of flight should we travel in business class for honeymoon to Europe?

FSU Girl

I would definitely splurge on business class. Before you book just look at the flight number and travel date you are booking in seatguru.com and it will tell you hiw the seats will be configured as all airlines are a little different. Most long haul business class on the overnight direct flights to Europe are layflat. Its awesome and you should totally treat yourselves. If you can book return or if not just going on the overnight there. Also if you end up flying certain European Airlines like SAS, Lufthansa, etc they allow you to bid on an upgrade for your return flight and they tell you three days prior if your bid is accepted. I have done this a few times! Most recently upgraded with a bid on a return flight with SAS for $700pp. Just recently bought United flight business claas to Frankfurt and return from Zurich economy plus for $3700pp to give you an idea of prices! Easy air is the way to go! We have booked with them everytime we cruise. Great prices, and they handle delays, etc. I would use them, always had the best price! You may get a return business with them for a good price. They will do one way business and the return economy also! If you see flights you want them to price out for you they will! Just give them flight numbers and times/airline. You can also search online through Princess Easy air but for business just on one lag I think you have to call them to do it for you.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Forums mobile app

I'm looking at flights for my British Isles cruise and since it's a honeymoon we thought we'd splurge on one leg of the trip and fly business class. None of the flights we were looking at had a first class so I'm guessing that's what it's called now? I've only flown coach so not really familiar with the perks and such.

They are pretty pricey though so we'd only do it either flying to London or flying home from London. I'm not sure which one we should splurge on. Anyone who has traveled that way have a recommendation? Flying to London would be an overnight flight, I have trouble sleeping on planes, but it might be easier with the lying flat down bed type seat. Or should we do it on the return trip where we will be awake the whole flight during the day so might get more out of the luxury?

Also if I look to book my airfare through Princess can I still choose flying one way in economy and the other in business? I've never book through a cruise for the air, but my parents recommended doing it that it would be cheaper.

I am going to give you a different answer than most on here. I really think it depends on you and your soon to be husband and how easily you can fall asleep on a plane. I am one of those that just cannot sleep no matter where I am seated. I fly to Europe approximately once a year and almost always fly economy comfort. I can never sleep on the way over. I also have flown first and business on accumulated points. Still couldn't sleep except for a few "winks" here and there.

That being said, service usually shuts down (pretty much) while the plane goes into sleep mode after dinner is served and until breakfast is served. So if you are awake, you won't receive any of the additional benefits of the amazing service that you are paying for by upgrading to business or first. So since I am one of those who can't sleep on the plane I would choose the return trip if I could only do it one way. I definitely recommend, as others have, that whatever you end up choosing it is worth buying economy comfort for the other leg.

I’m another vote for the return trip. I’d be super excited going out (taking into account the wedding and the anticipation of the fab holiday / honeymoon). When you come to the end of your trip (which I’m sure will be fab), it could almost feel like an anti-climax, and you’re having to face the long plane trip home. So if I then had the super duper upgraded seats, I’d be looking forward to the return flight rather than looking at it as something to get through in order to get home.

Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going to give you a different answer than most on here. I really think it depends on you and your soon to be husband and how easily you can fall asleep on a plane. I am one of those that just cannot sleep no matter where I am seated. I fly to Europe approximately once a year and almost always fly economy comfort. I can never sleep on the way over. I also have flown first and business on accumulated points. Still couldn't sleep except for a few "winks" here and there.

That being said, service usually shuts down (pretty much) while the plane goes into sleep mode after dinner is served and until breakfast is served. So if you are awake, you won't receive any of the additional benefits of the amazing service that you are paying for by upgrading to business or first. So since I am one of those who can't sleep on the plane I would choose the return trip if I could only do it one way. I definitely recommend, as others have, that whatever you end up choosing it is worth buying economy comfort for the other leg.

I've never been able to sleep on a plane before, so I'm not sure if being in first class will really make a difference or not. I'd like to think it would, but won't really know until I'm there. Do they have movies you can watch in first class? I know when I've flown to Europe there is usually a TV in the back of the seat for people to watch. If I can't sleep I'd probably just watch movies, I wonder how that works with lie flat seats.

I’m another vote for the return trip. I’d be super excited going out (taking into account the wedding and the anticipation of the fab holiday / honeymoon). When you come to the end of your trip (which I’m sure will be fab), it could almost feel like an anti-climax, and you’re having to face the long plane trip home. So if I then had the super duper upgraded seats, I’d be looking forward to the return flight rather than looking at it as something to get through in order to get home.

Hope this makes sense.

You do make a good point. The honeymoon is a few months after the wedding though so we'll have some time in between to relax and build up excitement for the trip. Flying home will be sad, no more exciting trips planned.

I've never been able to sleep on a plane before, so I'm not sure if being in first class will really make a difference or not. I'd like to think it would, but won't really know until I'm there. Do they have movies you can watch in first class? I know when I've flown to Europe there is usually a TV in the back of the seat for people to watch. If I can't sleep I'd probably just watch movies, I wonder how that works with lie flat seats.

No, most people can’t sleep in economy on long haul. You will probably find that it’s a totally different ball game in lie flat seats though ;).

Every recent international flight I have taken includes movies on demand even in coach. I always end up watching the movies. Depending on your carrier I do believe you can still watch the movie lying down. The flight to London isn't that long and I find that once they clear the dinner service and dim the lights I'm just not tired enough to sleep most likely because it's too early and I'm too hyped up with adrenaline. I do doze a little (more like a twilight sleep) once it gets late and into the early morning but then before you know it the lights go up and they start serving breakfast.

Everybody's experience is different - you may be able to sleep which will make a world of difference when you do arrive in London. As you said, you'll never know unless you try it. No matter what you choose I hope you have an amazing time and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We flew Virgin Atlantic to London from SFO in premium economy on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner and it was great! Not sure where home is for you but for us it’s about 10.5 hours. It was pricey but it was great! I didn’t sleep a wink but I sure wish I had. Jet lag was rough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We flew Virgin Atlantic to London from SFO in premium economy on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner and it was great! Not sure where home is for you but for us it’s about 10.5 hours. It was pricey but it was great! I didn’t sleep a wink but I sure wish I had. Jet lag was rough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe the OP is leaving out of Miami. Virgin Atlantic does fly out of there but flight time is just over 8 hours and departs around 6 PM. It arrives around 8 AM which is 3 AM EST. Those hours of flights make it impossible for many people to get any real sleep and makes some jet lag inevitable.

British Airways has a flight leaving MIA at 8:40 PM - which would probably be the best bet if she wants to get some sleep!

I've never flown Virgin Atlantic but have always wanted to, I've heard so many good things about it.

... if she wants to get some sleep! ...

For reasons of budget we generally fly economy. But then one year, anticipating a long return from Paris, we were happy to have accumulated bunches of air miles -- and so we booked Business Class on Air France. It was upstairs in one of their 380s, whoa. Thinking we'd get plenty of rest; their powered seats were said to just accommodate a 6'5" fella (which is me), and what downside could there possibly be in that?

Well, there was zero downside. It. Was. Wonderful. Beautiful Gallic attendants presenting the luxury: the food, the linens, the aperitif offered, the fresh pillows and blankets, the music ... I could go on. Yet for the sake of sleep, all that amazingly exquisite, premium stuff WAS the downside. There was no way I was going to close my eyes and miss a minute of it. At last there we were on the tarmac at SFO, wide awake but ecstatic at the pleasure of the just-completed sojourn nonstop from CDG. And completely fatigued.

And of course we would do it again.

Your results may vary.

I vote the same way as others, to fly TO London in Business. I totally know what you’re saying about not wanting to “waste” the experience on sleep; I’ve thought the same way, BUT it’s better to be rested for the cruise, AND you’ll surely be awake long enough for dinner and breakfast and the entertainment you’ll be able to enjoy while eating. We flew home from Europe once in American Business pods, and it was just like relaxing in my own living room, legs stretched out, ice cream sundae, drinks galore. They even tucked me in when I fell asleep before take-off. Business is a whole different world from Economy!! Enjoy the splurge!

I believe the OP is leaving out of Miami. Virgin Atlantic does fly out of there but flight time is just over 8 hours and departs around 6 PM. It arrives around 8 AM which is 3 AM EST. Those hours of flights make it impossible for many people to get any real sleep and makes some jet lag inevitable.

British Airways has a flight leaving MIA at 8:40 PM - which would probably be the best bet if she wants to get some sleep!

I've never flown Virgin Atlantic but have always wanted to, I've heard so many good things about it.

Yes we’ll be flying out of Miami :) I had looked at Virgin Atlantic, I really enjoyed flying on them before. But their return flights are only early morning and we wouldn’t be able to make that since we are flying out the day the cruise gets back.

I was looking at the 8:40 flight, that seems late enough that we could get some sleep at a more normal hour. At that late time would we still get served dinner?

I vote the same way as others, to fly TO London in Business. I totally know what you’re saying about not wanting to “waste” the experience on sleep; I’ve thought the same way, BUT it’s better to be rested for the cruise, AND you’ll surely be awake long enough for dinner and breakfast and the entertainment you’ll be able to enjoy while eating. We flew home from Europe once in American Business pods, and it was just like relaxing in my own living room, legs stretched out, ice cream sundae, drinks galore. They even tucked me in when I fell asleep before take-off. Business is a whole different world from Economy!! Enjoy the splurge!

That sounds pretty awesome!

We have flown to London and back 3 times. We get the lie-flat seats on the way to London and fly overnight so we can get the most benefit from the high cost of the seat by getting a good dinner, hours of sleep, and a good breakfast. We arrive in London in early enough to meet the Princess agent at the airport and get on the coach going directly to the ship to begin our cruise. That saves us the cost of a hotel room and restaurant meals which helps cover the extra cost of the lie-flat seat.

I strongly disagree with ever flying in the morning of your cruise especially transatlantic and especially for your honeymoon . Why risk missing your cruise ? We flew in 3 days early for both our Med. cruises . By the time we boarded we were fully acclimated and had a great pre cruise visit in a great European city , Rome and Barcelona . Both cities are quite reasonable $ wise .

I am in the fly home business class side. Enjoy the premium experience when you are awake . Plus business class/first class often are granted access to the lounges which you would more likely use on your return trip . If the premium worth it ? Depends on the cost premium .For me the tipping point would be about $400 PP each way .

I didn't notice OP , but is your cabin a balcony or more? If not, spring for the balcony and forget about the business class . So much better value . Enjoying a beverage on your balcony after a long port day with your loved one is a memory that will last longer then lie flat seats .

Enjoy your honeymoon . :)

Edited by richstowe

I strongly disagree with ever flying in the morning of your cruise especially transatlantic and especially for your honeymoon . Why risk missing your cruise ? We flew in 3 days early for both our Med. cruises . By the time we boarded we were fully acclimated and had a great pre cruise visit in a great European city , Rome and Barcelona . Both cities are quite reasonable $ wise .

I am in the fly home business class side. Enjoy the premium experience when you are awake . Plus business class/first class often are granted access to the lounges which you would more likely use on your return trip . If the premium worth it ? Depends on the cost premium .For me the tipping point would be about $400 PP each way .

I didn't notice OP , but is your cabin a balcony or more? If not, spring for the balcony and forget about the business class . So much better value .

Enjoy your honeymoon . :)

We are flying in two days before the cruise to make sure we make it there with plenty of time and sitesee in London a bit. We are flying home the day the cruise docks due to our schedules. We also have a balcony room booked :) I don’t like the location of the mini suites available left on the cruise and the full suite is just too expensive, way more than our flights would cost. I like the location of our room so I’m okay with staying there.

We are flying in two days before the cruise to make sure we make it there with plenty of time and sitesee in London a bit. We are flying home the day the cruise docks due to our schedules. We also have a balcony room booked :) I don’t like the location of the mini suites available left on the cruise and the full suite is just too expensive, way more than our flights would cost. I like the location of our room so I’m okay with staying there.

Then you've planned everything perfectly ! Enjoy .

Yes we’ll be flying out of Miami :) I had looked at Virgin Atlantic, I really enjoyed flying on them before. But their return flights are only early morning and we wouldn’t be able to make that since we are flying out the day the cruise gets back.

I was looking at the 8:40 flight, that seems late enough that we could get some sleep at a more normal hour. At that late time would we still get served dinner?

Are you thinking about flying first or business? You said in the first post that the flights you have looked at don't have first but many flights between Miami and London have that.

Will it most likely be the only time you ever fly first/business? If yes I defenitely recommend that you fly in first/business on the way home. Is it really worth the extra money just to be able to sleep? Spend the money on the flight where you will be awake!

Many domestic carriers also offer "premium economy" which generally buys you an economy seat with a little more distance between the seat rows (so more leg room, but NOT more shoulder/seat width).

The above is not quite accurate. The "premium economy" referred to above is not correct. The seats this poster is talking about...economy with a little extra legroom.... are NOT premium economy, which is an entirely separate class of service. They are just a version of regular economy seats that offer a little extra legroom. The error is in calling in premium economy. They are generally referred to by individual airline names that are something like economy plus, comfort plus or similar. True premium economy is an entirely different class of service. In addition to additional legroom, the seat is actually wider, has a footrest, better amenities and better meal service than regular economy or any of the "plus" type products. Mistaking the two as this poster did (not doubt unintentionally) just adds to the confusion.

As to your original question, yes some airlines DO still offer international first class, but not all offer it and those who do offer very few seats, as business class has become more of the standard for premium cabins. Adding to the confusion, international first class and domestic first class are entirely different! In order of luxury, it goes something like this:

1. international first class

2. business class (typically only on long-haul flights and sometimes on domestic transcontinental flights)

3. premium economy, usually only offered on long-haul flights

4. domestic first class

5. economy "plus" type products

5a. European "domestic" business class*

6. economy

*a number of European airlines offer what they call business class on domestic (meaning intra-European) flights, when in reality it is just the first few rows of economy in which they leave the middle seat open on 3-3 seating configurations. Nothing special about the seat or service, the only perk is that you don't have someone in the seat next to you. It's a toss up as to whether this is better than a "plus" type seat that has a little extra legroom (but will be shoulder to shoulder with someone else) or vice versa.

Note that not all airlines offer all of the above, and when they do, it isn't usually on all airlines and/or all routings. Ex. on routes where Delta offers premium economy, they don't offer Comfort plus and vice versa.

Thank you!! I think we are definitely going to fly first/business for one of flights. It won't break the bank to do and I've never done it before so being pampered would be nice.

It's a safe bet that international first WILL break your bank. I don't know your budget obviously, but there is usually a HUGE difference in price between business class and international first class on airlines that offer it.

Normally I would say to book business on the flight TO Europe so you can sleep, and something less on the way back if you can only afford it in one direction. But in your case I'd consider doing the opposite. On the flight over, the cabin lights will stay on and there will be a fair amount of noise until the full meal service is complete, which will be a couple of hours into the flight. Lights will come back on and noise will pick up when the crew begins the breakfast service 60-90 prior to arrival. That leaves precious little time to actually sleep in between. Couple that with the fact that you will be so full of adenaline due to it being your honeymoon AND the excitement of splurging on business class that my guess is you'll hardly sleep. That being the case, if you really want to splurge I'd consider doing it on the way home when, as you mentioned, you'll intend to be awake and can fully appreciate all the perks of flying up front. It will also give you something to look forward to at the end of your honeymoon. :)

Edited by waterbug123

So I noticed that three airlines are using the same plane for the flight. I went to each of their websites and one is charging $5,000 per person for first class and one is charging $2,000 per person for the same seat. Is that normal?

First, are you really looking at first class prices or are these business class prices? The two classes of service are entirely different and I'd be shocked if these were actual first class prices; they sound more like business class prices.

Secondly, yes this is normal for codeshare flights, as an airline might only release a certain amount of seat inventory to its codeshare partners.

This is unfortunately normal, especially if the airline thinks it is a one-way fare. Many airlines will charge nearly round trip rates for a one way leg of the journey.

In this case, it has nothing to do with whether an airline "thinks" it's a one way flight or not. It's based on whatever was put into a search engine, be it one way or round trip. It has to do with it being a codeshare flight.

I've never been able to sleep on a plane before, so I'm not sure if being in first class will really make a difference or not. I'd like to think it would, but won't really know until I'm there. Do they have movies you can watch in first class?

I cannot sleep in economy seats. We usually fly business to Europe and I still don't sleep much, though I catnap a little. Still prefer it due to the comfort of at least reclining a lot.

Yes, they will have movies, even in economy class.

When I first started looking I was going off of the website Kayak, which was only mentioning business class, but when I went to look at the actual websites of the airlines they say first class so I’m not really sure it was a bit confusing. The prices do seem low, but they are saying first class so I think they are? The economy seats on the flights are really cheap too so maybe it’s just off season?