Help with AA in flight amenity:

Ashland

We will be flying from LAX-PVG (non stop) in a few weeks on American Airlines

789-Boeing in the small dedicated economy plus section of this airline just behind first class

which is way too expensive for this mother/daughter birthday trip. I constantly keep checking

to upgrade to first class ....but it doesn't look good at this point.

So to try and travel onboard lightly and not have to bring my own I was wondering if any one knew for sure that we would have the over the ear head phones offered to us or just the earbuds in our onboard amenity pack on this particular flight.

Please don't think this a silly concern as I personally cannot use earbuds....but hate to lug my own Bose if not necessary.

Thanks so much for any insight anyone can offer.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/premium-economy.jsp

Assuming you're in premium economy it looks like you'll get over the ear noise cancelling earphones.

Yes, we are...Sorry I bounce back-n-forth between airlines and sometimes mix up the designation term for that class of service.

Thank you so very much for providing that link.

Yes, we are...Sorry I bounce back-n-forth between airlines and sometimes mix up the designation term for that class of service .

You actually did it twice. AA's front cabin on 787s is business class, not first.

The only longhaul AA aircraftvwith First Class are 777-300s.

You actually did it twice. AA's front cabin on 787s is business class, not first.

The only longhaul AA aircraftvwith First Class are 777-300s.

Gee..... "Twice" ...... My BAD ! And you took the time to point that out. Glad you're keeping score :rolleyes:

Hate to be a party pooper, but even flying BC with AA , I still take my Bose headphones. They are 2-3 times more efficient in noise reduction than the AA provided ones. The AA headphones do a perfectly adequate job when watching a movie or listening to music, but as purely noise reduction tools they leave a lot to be desired. Better than nothing though! Take your Bose!

Gee..... "Twice" ...... My BAD ! And you took the time to point that out. Glad you're keeping score :rolleyes:

Well, words are important. Just because it's not economy doesn't make it first class and stating that could send someone down a dead end of information if they tried to research "AA 787 first class" because it doesn't exist on longhaul flights.

Hate to be a party pooper, but even flying BC with AA , I still take my Bose headphones. They are 2-3 times more efficient in noise reduction than the AA provided ones. The AA headphones do a perfectly adequate job when watching a movie or listening to music, but as purely noise reduction tools they leave a lot to be desired. Better than nothing though! Take your Bose!

Err, AA provide Bose headphones in international business and first class (and the premium transcon flights). Next year they are replacing them with Bang & Olufsen.

The ones on my Feb DFW—HKG and return flights were standard Bose headphones. While they provided some noise reduction, they were not as efficient as my Bose Quier Comfort 15 acoustic noise reduction headphones. Not sure the differences in models.

The AA headphones are QC15s.

Even though they are (I assume) cleaned and sterilized after each use.....why would you want to go that route. Especially if you already have your own NC headphones. I clip my QC15 case to the outside of my carry on and put it in the seat pocket as soon as I board. doesn't take up much space and I know who used them last.

Mine are QC 15...so as long as they are provided by AA in my class of service theirs will work good enough for me on this particular trip. I really don't use them for noise cancelling but just the occasional movie I might watch since I prefer to read...do crossword puzzles or the on board Trivia.

When DH and I travel he manages the backpack/carry on so we take them, but this trip it's just going to be DD and I so I'm trying to just take my large travel purse and not taking up the space in that will work better for me.

Thanks to all that responded and answered my exact question on this.

• 2 weeks later...
They don’t clean and sterilize the blankets after each flight, so doubt the headphones are cleaned. I just bring my own.

I know that AF and some other airlines provide a disposable woven "bootie" to go over the earcups. Sorta like you see in the movies aboard British warships (remembering Tomorrow Never Dies).

They don’t clean and sterilize the blankets after each flight, so doubt the headphones are cleaned. I just bring my own.

"Wet Ones" antibacterial hand wipes work well once at my seat ;)