Small Travel size containers?

SAS21

I’ve bought small containers at REI in the backpacking/camping section.

We also reuse containers. My favorites are contact lens cases and eyedrop vials. The dropper part of these vials pops out.

I am looking for very small containers to put shampoo and conditioner in. I only need enough for 1-2 days. I need to save room in my TSA liquids bag. Any suggestions?

Another vote for contact lens cases. I take oil of olay in mine and have never had leakage issues - I usually have to start on the second "eye" by the end of the cruise. For 1-2 days shampoo conditioner I would probably take one full set of each, but you will likely only need one "set."

Your grocery or pharmacy will have little empty bottles.....just buy anything. You could even use small freezer zip lock bags, if you really want to compress things!

:confused:I'm probably reading this wrong, but I would NOT decant into a zip lock - it just screams mess to me if it opens :eek: and likely wouldn't save any space. I would put the contact case or any other small case inside a small bag (snack size would work for the contact lens) if you are concerned at all about leaks. Your 1 quart TSA bag should be sufficient for any leakage issues though.

My dollar store has small bottles or containers, often in the make up or crafts aisle. You might need to test for leakage before traveling, but certainly good for small amounts of solids or cosemetics.

As an additional suggestion - particularly for hair products - I take solid shampoo. You can get some with conditioner in it. For shorter trips, cut the size smaller, but size might not matter as it doesn't go into your TSA bag.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I got some contact lens cases and tried them out this morning to see if they would hold the amount I need for my hair, and Bingo! I have numerous travel size bottles just wanted something smaller for the first couple days of our 22 day trip. I am trying to avoid using anything in my checked bag until we board the ship. Also trying to keep my carryon as light as possible.

For others reading this for future, many drug stores and other stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond sell small containers of shampoo, toothpaste, lotion, etc. They are in the "travel" section, all under 3 oz., and there are lots of choices. Hopefully you can find your favorite brands but if it's a short trip, it would be good enough.

Have you thought about using leak-proof food containers?

My toothpaste doesnt come in a smaller version so I use one of these and squirt some in there and dig out with my brush.

https://sistemaplastics.com/products/to-go/35ml-dressing-to-go

And if only a short trip i use ones these size for shampoo conditioner or body wash

https://sistemaplastics.com/products/to-go/mini-bites-to-go-3-pack

I find these in Australia so you might not be able to get the brand but it might be an idea to check out the food container isle at the supermarket :)

I am looking for very small containers to put shampoo and conditioner in. I only need enough for 1-2 days. I need to save room in my TSA liquids bag. Any suggestions?

Major drug stores such as CVS will be happy to provide new pill bottles at little or no cost. My pharmacist is happy to give me any sizes as many as I wish.

I just scored a great deal on small tight lidded containers. I was looking around in the craft stores and saw packages of 8 for 1.95 (they had 3 sizes-maybe 1 oz, 2 oz & 3oz!) all the same price! I am going to have to find a way to use them up, since I bought so many!

I just scored a great deal on small tight lidded containers. I was looking around in the craft stores and saw packages of 8 for 1.95 (they had 3 sizes-maybe 1 oz, 2 oz & 3oz!) all the same price! I am going to have to find a way to use them up, since I bought so many!

Jewelry container? Keep necklaces from tangling or earrings from snagging.

• 1 month later...

For just a few days, contact lens cases work the best. They do not leak, as long as you make sure to tighten them ( just be sure you use the one with screw on caps, not the one piece ones with the flip-down closure).  I wear contact lenses , and though I always change cases every couple of months, I never throw the old ones away, but wash them and put them with my travel items. I can put two or three days of facial cleanser and moisturizer in the wells of one, and several days of  shampoo and conditioner in a couple more. You can put body lotion, or even toothpaste in them. For more than two or thre days, you can use multiple ones. They take up VERY little room. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have purchased containers that I think were lip balm containers from craft stores.  They were a lot cheaper than the travel containers that are marketed as travel containers.  Contact lens cases might work too if they hold enough for you.  In either case, pack in a ziploc bag *just in case they leak*.  

• 2 weeks later...

I used to travel for work frequently and started using just a carry-on. Even travel sizes are too large for a 5 day trip so I went in search of tiny bottles. Most of my tiny bottles and jars came from a $1.50 store called Daiso (orginated in Japan but are now found in the US in places). If you are near a Sephora, the cream and lotion samples they decant for you come in amazing tiny flip-top jars so I save those and re-use them. Another tip - make sure you label your containers if possible. I recently packed and couldn't tell which product was which. I attached a picture of my jam packed TSA approved bag below! I think I counted roughly 17 different liquids in here.

20150808_165207-1.jpg