Medevac today

nini

We are in the Atlantic and at 8:00 am today the Captain announced that the crew would be preparing for an emergency helicopter pick up. So, just posting for those who are undecided about insurance. Also, a fellow Washingtonian fell (pre-cruise) in NYC and the ship's medics fixed up his broken hand (after boarding)

The medivac will be at no charge since the US Coast Guard will be handling this exercise. No insurance involved.

Thanks for the reminder about this... I thought I'd read that before. Do you know if this practice is similar overseas (i.e., local government/military covers the cost of an at-sea medivac)?

Thanks for the reminder about this... I thought I'd read that before. Do you know if this practice is similar overseas (i.e., local government/military covers the cost of an at-sea medivac)?

Yes, it is a world wide policy. In over forty years of extensive cruising (and a big interest in the industry) we have never heard of a single case where somebody was charged for a helicopter evacuation off a cruise ship. Perhaps some of the posters who actually work in the industry can add their own experience.

Hank