9-27-18 Thursday weigh-in

mdaviswv

Good morning everyone. We'll have to survive without poetry while Belle is at sea. If anyone creative wants to start our thread during her long cruise, please let me know.

My numbers aren't worth reporting. I realize with a year and a half of regular exercise and muscle growth the numbers don't go down like they once did, but its hard to get used to when you know there is still lots of room to improve. Either way, I'm still doing what I've been doing. Walked 6.2mi last weekend, 3.5 in the rain a couple days ago and on the treadmill otherwise. I'll keep up my end of it and just hope my body decides to cooperate again one day.

I'm sure Belle and Diana are having a great time at sea. It seems like someone else was sailing this week too, but I can't remember for sure. A few others have recently returned. I know this is the popular time to go. I hope this holiday thing works well for us, I'm still quite wary of it.

Hope you all are well. I'll check in later and see how everyone is doing. Have a good day.

Thanks for starting the thread Mike:)

I'm up 4# from before the cruise - more than I would have liked, less than I feared, and about what I expected. We are getting better about not overeating, but I still had desserts (or sort of dessert like muffins) at almost all meals. A lot of food just wasn't appealing this trip but it's easy for the calories to creep up: drinks every day (sometimes do on the weekends at home but not always), hot cocoa (even a small cup) with breakfast, even the salads had less veggies and more fillers than I do at home.

We walked a lot on the ship and only took the elevator when we boarded (since we carried on our luggage vs. checking), but my fitbit recorded a lot less steps than expected most days. We did get a lot of naps though:D and some much needed rest.

10K is this Saturday. I have one more 3 mile run tonight then rest days until the run. We have two more 5K's planned for October, need to find something for November/December to keep the momentum going through the winter.

After a week of overeating/drinking my body is definitely craving healthy whole foods, but I'm still struggling with some carb/sugar withdrawal. We are planning a cruise again in June for daughter's graduation - I think I will need to be very selective about foods (we probably won't drink much with the kids around) since even though they may taste good it's not worth the heavy feeling after. We will sail Anthem of the Seas and it looks like they have a healthy section - hoping that helps.

Sorry for the novel:o I do appreciate the support of this group and hope my ramblings encourage/enlighten someone else:)

Have a great week!

Pacruise, 4lbs isnt bad at all. I used to be a standard 7 or 8 every cruise but these days its around 4 or 5.

Anthem is on our ‘maybe’ list too. Being Royal is the only thing that’s kept us away so far. The indoor pool area, other than the solarium, looks appealing for winter cruises from NYC.

Your 4lbs will disappear in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Morning - I managed to lose 0.4# this week ... I will take it!

Pacruise - 4 pounds isn't bad at all ... I can remember the days I would gain 10-15# in a week of cruising ... now not so much. Sounds as if you will be getting back into the groove very quickly ... wish I enjoyed running!

Mike - thanks for starting the thread, sorry your loss journey is not speedy!

Hope everyone has a great week and all who are on cruises are enjoying themselves. Jan

Hello All...Still on cruise, home on Sunday. Next cruise on Oct. 23rd. That's the long one.

Can't wait! First have to get car fixed and all that stuff.

Thanks Mike for starting the weight loss board. I know why can't weight come off like

it use to. Fast! Now so slow!

Pacruise think water weight and it will come off fast. Good luck on your run.

Jan you had a loss! A loss is a loss. I would take it.

I like pacruise am walking a lot, more in the ports then on the ship. Not eating to much

so will see what happens on Monday when I weigh but will weigh on Thursday and report....

which one is better!:evilsmile:

Everyone have a good weekend end

Hi all!

I haven't popped in the last couple of weeks as I've been away or busy but I am up 1.2 since the 1st Thursday of the month. That's not bad as I ate out a lot while visiting my DD & my sister is a good cook & always has snacks.;)

Had a nice time Wed. night when I went to see Elton John in concert.

Not looking forward to Tuesday when I'll be having cataract surgery.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

I haven't popped in the last couple of weeks as I've been away or busy but I am up 1.2 since the 1st Thursday of the month. That's not bad as I ate out a lot while visiting my DD & my sister is a good cook & always has snacks.;)

Had a nice time Wed. night when I went to see Elton John in concert.

Not looking forward to Tuesday when I'll be having cataract surgery.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

I'm interested in your cataract surgery, as I believe that I need to have the same! ... Hope everything goes well for you. Would love to see Elton John in concert! Jan

Hello everyone, another good week - down 2 again to 209 - that makes 3 weeks in a row I believe.

We have a BBQ pit down the street that has been helping me maintain the keto - and I decided I wanted to get into a smoker.

So I treated myself after a lot of research and brought this baby home today. The first chicken came out eh... Dark meat was perfect, breast a little dry - amazing how missing the temperature by a couple degrees makes a big difference.

Tomorrow I think I'll try some ribs...

Missus is back and me and the dog couldn't be happier. Have a good weekend all!

80de76834aad0517a0327f09c55eba21.jpgcce02bf104c5d29d1c399fa4a33e018e.jpgd8d9e2e6cfca91a62abad5465aeb376f.jpgb21c31c2e713441393243d943a7d96fd.jpg

I have decided I need to share the chicken recipe even if no one wants it ... It is one of my go to recipes when I have people over for dinner

Roast Sticky Chicken

In a small bowl, combine:

4 t. salt

2 t. paprika

1 t. cayenne pepper

1 t. onion powder

1 t. thyme

1 t. white pepper

1/2 t. garlic powder

1/2 t. black pepper

2. Remove the giblets from:

1 large roasting chicken

3. Clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.

4. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.

5. Place in a re-sealable bag,seal and refrigerate overnight.

6. When ready to roast chicken,stuff cavity with:

1 c. chopped onions

7. Place in a shallow baking pan.

8. Roast, uncovered at 250 degrees (F) for 5 hours (Yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours! )

9. After the first 2 hours or so, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer,ignore it.

10. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.

It is amazing - hope others can enjoy!

I have decided I need to share the chicken recipe even if no one wants it ... It is one of my go to recipes when I have people over for dinner

Roast Sticky Chicken

In a small bowl, combine:

4 t. salt

2 t. paprika

1 t. cayenne pepper

1 t. onion powder

1 t. thyme

1 t. white pepper

1/2 t. garlic powder

1/2 t. black pepper

2. Remove the giblets from:

1 large roasting chicken

3. Clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.

4. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.

5. Place in a re-sealable bag,seal and refrigerate overnight.

6. When ready to roast chicken,stuff cavity with:

1 c. chopped onions

7. Place in a shallow baking pan.

8. Roast, uncovered at 250 degrees (F) for 5 hours (Yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours! )

9. After the first 2 hours or so, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer,ignore it.

10. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.

It is amazing - hope others can enjoy!

Do you check the birds temp for doneness or go strictly by time? I did mine at 325F for about 1hr45min. I was shooting for 160F in the center of the breast but went about 5 degrees over.

I needed an excuse to get a large cast iron baking pan - this might be it lol! Thanks!

Edited by shootr

Thanks Mike for starting the weight loss board.

You are very welcome as always Belle. I’ve always enjoyed doing that for you, however, I wont be available during your long cruise. Hopefully some of the others will be willing to help out during those weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jo - hoping surgery goes well tomorrow. My dad was amazed at the difference after he had his done.

Shootr - nice splurge on the smoker and "yay" for having the missus back home :hearteyes:

Jan - thanks for the recipe, it sounds amazing! I think I have all of those ingredients too (except the chicken:')). It would probably be good cold too, so nice and flexible for varying schedules - or left overs in a salad, yum:)

Mike/Belle - I think I log on after either of you start the thread on Thursdays, so if one isn't started I will. If I haven't created one by 9am EDT/EST then assume I'm not available too.

The 10K went pretty well. I finished;) and was under my goal of 1hr 30min (1:29:08), but was hoping for under 14min miles and didn't quite get there (14:21). We didn't do much hill training, and there were a few more hills on the 10K route than the 5K. I'm glad I tried it, but also glad for 5K's in the future. Hubby didn't quite make his goal either (under 1:05), but was really close (1:05:58). Super proud of the son - he ran on his own for the 5 and didn't feel great but still managed 32:19 (10:25/mile pace).

This coming Saturday we have a 5K supporting one of the local schools and we get fudge at the end;p

Nice work Pacruise! Used do a bunch of charity 5k's - I can't run so it was walking for a good cause with the family.

Did I mention the missus was sick when she got home? And the germies ran straight to me - ugh...

Had my first bit of processed sugar (brown) on Sunday - it was in the sauce I put on the ribs (but since I made it I kept it reduced - I figure 5 carbs per rib.)

But for a first attempt at smoking ribs - it was worth it. (The rub was sugar-free and very good - probably go sauce free next time.)

Lots of rain from Rosa so not a bad day to work from home. But man I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich [emoji50] (glad there's no bread in the house).

10c6011ac265bb2cc69b5685f26480c9.jpg2b3906c63d9a9526c4340c75905f8aaf.jpgf6942ad0757b2febd2eb9b40406ff016.jpg