What type of bag/purse/backpack do you use when at port stops?

kren250

First cruise, and I'm not sure what type of bag to bring for when we have our port stops (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Harvest Caye, Roatan).

If I just use my cell phone to take pictures, then I'll bring a little purse I have, and that will work fine. If I decide to bring my actual camera, I'll need to use a different bag, as the camera won't fit in my current purse.

What do you guys use? If you bring heavier items (such as a bigger camera), does it get irritating to schlep it around in port? What do you do with your bag at the beach, if there are no lockers available? Should I just use my phone for photos, and consider myself lucky that I'll have just a small purse to carry?

I use my Tenba camera bag (vintage 1972) the bottom holds a FZ50 ‘ bridge’ camera, OMD M10 body, three lenses, chargers and spare batteries. The top of the bag was designed to hold a ‘brick’ of 35mm film, so there is lots of space for my iPad plus incidentals.

We do not tend to take cruises featuring beach excursions.

Edited by TheOldBear
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hit I, you you are planning on any beach time a large beach bag will work. It can hold towels and sun screen. Remember to bring a plastic bag to either hold wet items or the camera on the trip back. When I bring my "real" camera I will carry it in the beach bag until I want to use it. I will often just wear around my neck, slinging it to the side when I am not using it. Since we carry little cash in port anything small to hold your ID, credit card and sea pass is all you need. You can find silicone holders that go on the back of phones that are just the thing. I just carry it in my pocket. I have been using a backpack lately. Holds everything, is comfortable unless really humid. Celebrity gave us bags that fold up and go into a zipped pouch. I throw that in the backpack if I do a lot so shopping. It really depends on your style of vacationing. It took several cruises to figure out what was best.

If we're simply touring or shopping, I bring whatever purse I'd use at home or anywhere.

If we are doing a beach stop, then purse and other "beach" things (sunscreen, book, towels) go into a tote.

You don't need special stuff for a cruise...use what you would normally use!

Unless your experienced, cruise ship is in town and you will look like a tourist. Think purse snatch, shoulder strap over your head. If your walking with someone, have the bag between you. You can't stop crime, but you can make it harder for them so they choose someone else. Passport/ID, credit card and some money in separate pocket

I bring a quite small cross body bag unless we are having beach time, or another water activity, then I bring a larger beach bag, which is either folded up in my suitcase or used as my personal item on the plane.

I use a small digital camera; if it was a DSL I would need a larger bag. I hate taking pictures with my phone.

I carry as few valuables as possible, and only as much money as I think I will need; not much in the Caribbean, more other places. At the beach I luckily have a husband who rarely swims and I bring a water proof camera for the beach anyway. On tour boats I just leave everything on the boat when snorkeling or whatever.

Very sad that my favorite cross-body bag is no longer made. I have gone through two of the exact same bag over about 20 years and can't find one that suits me as well as that one did. Believe me, I have looked.

Great question -- thanks OP!

I also use my iPhone for photos these days. I just find it incredibly more convenient, and the images are plenty good for their intended use (sharing online). So, over the past few years I have given the DSLRs and other digital cameras to the kids. I do still have a Gopro that I use out on local lakes (don't take it on cruises).

We take a small lightweight backpack. Currently it is a relatively inexpensive Eddie Bauer stowable backpack. It will hold a couple fo H2O bottles, hats, selfie stick, and a few other odds & ends. I typically use a larger more rugged backpack as my carry-on. So if we need something with more capacity for an excursion, it is available I guess.

• 1 month later...

I've had this same question!  First-time cruiser in February (RC, Rhapsody of the Seas).  I have a small cross-body that I'll use in the airport and will be good for in ports where I'm not doing water-related activities.  I have a dry-bag pouch for my phone for kayaking, etc.

Thinking about getting something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RQUIC4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AQQ2MOWAIW96A&psc=1

for time at the pool, beach, etc, that would fit my e-reader, phone, etc.  I figure it would be useful even after the cruise at beaches, etc.

15 minutes ago, SoberJulie said:

Just purchased a PAC-Safe smaller sized backpack. 

Those backpacks have impressive features.  Do you have any comment about the weight compared to a generic pack of the same size?  

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Those backpacks have impressive features.  Do you have any comment about the weight compared to a generic pack of the same size?  

It doesn’t seem noticeably heavier than a normal backpack of the same size. It’s a good looking pack, great pockets, waterproof interior lining, and very sturdy straps. 👍🏻

BD1349D4-4A57-4713-B100-B80887AE6CE3.jpeg

Edited by SoberJulie
Included pic

2 hours ago, SoberJulie said:

It doesn’t seem noticeably heavier than a normal backpack of the same size. It’s a good looking pack, great pockets, waterproof interior lining, and very sturdy straps. 👍🏻

Thanks S-Julie.  I think Mrs Ldubs would like one of these.  And, if she gets one it won't be long before each of her six sisters has one.  So, I think you should ask PAC-Safe for a commission!   

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, kren250 said:

What do you guys use? If you bring heavier items (such as a bigger camera), does it get irritating to schlep it around in port? What do you do with your bag at the beach, if there are no lockers available? Should I just use my phone for photos, and consider myself lucky that I'll have just a small purse to carry?

We are a family of 4. 

We bring a large tote with the ship's towels & sunscreen, a backpack to put our clothes and wallets into, plus phones or cameras.  Hubby has a big slr camera that usually comes along too as its his hobby.  He carries it on his shoulder or puts it into the backpack.  

At the beach, we rent two chairs and an umbrella and we take turns in the shade or in the water.  One of us is always with the bags, for peace of mind.   I've never seen a beach with lockers.  

Often we are at the beach with many others from the same cruise - you can tell as we all have the same ship towels.  As the chairs are close together, we may chat with seat neighbours and take turns keeping an eye on each other's stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use a cross body bag if we are doing simple tours or shopping. If we are going to the beach, etc and I need to bring a bunch of stuff, then I use a ruck. (goruck.com) It can hold the towels, sunscreen, and all the other misc. stuff I need to haul with me.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not one that likes to carry a purse or bag most of the time so I normally would just have my camera and then pockets for everything else, LOL. My MIL gave me a great little cross body bag (not a tote bag or anything, just a little purse/type thing) for my Birthday this past year and I used it on our Alaska cruise that we went on in August. OMG this will be my go-to bag for all vacationing. Great that I had my hands free, it wasn't too big to manage. It held my cell phone (and I have a fairly large Samsung Galaxy), money, credit cards, the cruise card, and all of our other documents that we needed, even ear buds for the bus rides, LOL. My Husband wore a drawstring backpack that held water bottles and snacks. I do have a fairly large camera but I just wore that on a strap around my neck and it was fine.