Need feedback from past cruisers about Dubai NYE fireworks

AlohaO

Need info on NYE Dubai fireworks.

I’ve looked at past roll calls and have read what people have planned, but what worked? What didn’t?

Is the traffic insane? Can I use the metro? Should I go to a hotel party? But how do I get back?

Dhow cruise TripAdvisor reviews (2013-2015) are pretty bad. Would it be simpler to book a hotel room and stay overnight near the Burj. The hotels are filling up and I need to make a decision soon.

Any suggestions?

Need info on NYE Dubai fireworks.

I’ve looked at past roll calls and have read what people have planned, but what worked? What didn’t?

Is the traffic insane? Can I use the metro? Should I go to a hotel party? But how do I get back?

Dhow cruise TripAdvisor reviews (2013-2015) are pretty bad. Would it be simpler to book a hotel room and stay overnight near the Burj. The hotels are filling up and I need to make a decision soon.

Any suggestions?

If the Burj you refer to in your post is the Burj Khalifa then the NYE fireworks display from the tower were replaced with a laser light show for NYE 2017/18 and as far as I'm aware there are no plans for them to revert to fireworks. There were 4 different locations around Dubai where there were NYE firework displays last year - Jumeirah Beach (beside Jumeirah Beach Hotel and Burj Al Arab), Atlantis Hotel, Palm Jumeirah, Dubai Festival City (a waterfront retail and residential complex situation on Dubai Creek) and the Global Village (out of town theme park).

As I posted on the other Dubai/Abu Dhabi thread details for NYE celebrations have not been announced locally yet but I will post details to that thread whenever I see anything in the local media..

Anne..

My understanding was that the BK laser show last year was a special one that was for the Year of Zayad. Also they broke a Guinness world record. They also repeated it till January 6 at 8 and 10pm

My understanding was that the BK laser show last year was a special one that was for the Year of Zayad. Also they broke a Guinness world record. They also repeated it till January 6 at 8 and 10pm

You are correct the theme was the Year of Zayed, a theme that has been carried through the whole of 2018 throughout the UAE. Breaking Guinness world records is something of a pastime for Dubai however, there were no plans to repeat the show initially, that decision was taken subsequent to the number of comments on social media, etc. from disappointed NYE revellers who didn't see the show on the night due to it only being projected onto one side of the building. I may be wrong but I still do not expect the Burj Khalifa to revert to a firework display for NYE...

Anne..

When do you think we might know?

Also for the other firework locations, do you think they are easier to get to from the port?

It’s difficult to say as they are not ticketed events details don’t usually emerge until closer to the time. Global Village and Atlantis on the Palm Jumeirah are quite a distance from the cruise terminal. Jumeirah Beach and Festival City are the closest but you would need a taxi or Uber to get to them...

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted on one of the other Dubai threads that Emaar (owners of Burj Khalifa and the Downtown area) announced at the weekend that due to popular demand there will be a fireworks display at the Burj Khalifa again on NYE this year.   No other details available yet but will update again if I see or hear anything..

Anne..