Lone Star Rally – Nov 4, 2018

HBE4

Ok, so there will be 400,000 bikers in Galveston on the Sunday morning we are sailing on RCCL Liberty. What will the traffic situation like? Will there be roads closed, major detours and general pandemonium?

This is the first time we are cruising out of Galveston. The plan was to drive down from Houston (not the airport, staying at DD apartment just west of H-town) getting there around 10:00, drop the family off at Terminal 2, then park the car across the street at Galveston Park N Cruise and walk over. Hoping to be on the ship by 11:00.

Is that realistic?

Also, I read about alternate directions from the frequent cruisers about ignoring the signage to the terminal and drive I45 until it become Broadway, then left on 23rd street (?? I think ??) then left onto Harborside drive and hopefully make the easy right into the Terminal.

Is that still doable with the biker rally? And then is it a straight forward drive from terminal to parking lot?

Thanks

Sunday of the Lone Star Bike Rally is relatively quiet as a) they are not up early, b) most will be heading home once they are up c) no roads will be closed though Strand will probably have limited or no access between 21st and 25th due to vendors and rally activities.

I agree in staying on Broadway to 21st, left on 21st to Harborside, left on Harborside to 23rd st entrance to port.

Enjoy your cruise

Sunday of the Lone Star Bike Rally is relatively quiet as a) they are not up early, b) most will be heading home once they are up c) no roads will be closed though Strand will probably have limited or no access between 21st and 25th due to vendors and rally activities.

I agree in staying on Broadway to 21st, left on 21st to Harborside, left on Harborside to 23rd st entrance to port.

Enjoy your cruise

Thank you so much! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Can't wait to I board her.

Originally, the plan was to stay in Galveston for 2 nights prior. I was there once, earlier this summer, and was looking forward to going back. But the crowds and price of hotels....mainly the price....kept me away. Next time!

Thank you so much! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Can't wait to I board her.

Originally, the plan was to stay in Galveston for 2 nights prior. I was there once, earlier this summer, and was looking forward to going back. But the crowds and price of hotels....mainly the price....kept me away. Next time!

Most hotels, B&B's and vacation rentals have a 3 night minimum over rally weekend.

Would love to have you return for a longer visit to enjoy our island!

Most hotels, B&B's and vacation rentals have a 3 night minimum over rally weekend.

Would love to have you return for a longer visit to enjoy our island!

Ah, OK. That makes sense now. I knew about the regular 2 night minimum but now I know why so few places came up on my search. When I booked the cruise, I didn't know about the rally. I only found out when pricing out hotels and they were 2 - 3 times the regular price and so few showed up. Although it wouldn't have made a difference, I still would have booked it is as its our anniversary celebration.

I have family in Houston that I visit regularly and did an overnight in Galveston @ the Hilton in July. Regardless of whether we do another cruise out of Galveston or not, we will be back. Def want to see more of the Strand, Moody Gardens, the submarine, etc.

We have cruised on the Sunday of Rally weekend several times. The first time it was entirely an accident. You'll see some bikers heading north from the Island but that’s about it. Follow the plan you described. Drop off everyone at the terminal along with all your bags except your carry on. Make sure you have your passport and boarding pass. I usually have the confirmation printout from ParkNCruise but they have never failed to find me on the list. We’ve had a lot of rain lately so you may consider a small umbrella or disposable rain poncho. Enjoy.

Thank you! I feel much better now. I was thinking we'd need to drive down in the middle of the night to avoid being stuck in some massive, miles long traffic jam....inching along for hours....within sight of the ship...where my free food and drinks await me...mocking me. lol

With the addition of the Vista over sixteen thousand passengers come and go every Sunday. I might be a little off on the math, but it’s a bunch of folks.

Harborside Drive is never blocked off for events. Ever. Galveston is a shipping port, Del Monte has a large banana dock here and there is also a busy RoRo shipping business.

Exit Harborside once you come over the causeway. It’s a two lane turn to the left, so don’t line up in one lane. Drive right to your terminal, unload your baggage and then draw straws as to who goes to park the car.

Enjoy your vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised on rally weekend once before and had no issues. We didn't even know it was rally weekend until we were turning into Park N Cruise and I glanced over and saw barriers on The Strand. Only difference between a regular cruise weekend was that there were more people along the shore waving to the ship as we went by.

Exit Harborside once you come over the causeway. It’s a two lane turn to the left, so don’t line up in one lane. Drive right to your terminal, unload your baggage and then draw straws as to who goes to park the car.

Enjoy your vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never recommend Harborside as there is ONLY ONE left turn lane into port - this backs up.,

Continue on Hwy 45 onto Broadway to 21st., Left on 21st to Harborside then left on Harborside at light to port entry,'You are entering Harborside from the back side where there is little traffic.

Thank you for all the advice. At least I now have an approximate idea of how to get around so I won't be the typical clueless tourist, looking like a deer stuck in headlights.

My DW & DD will have the Google Maps and Waze GPS apps going so we'll be getting real-time - and probably conflicting - traffic updates.

I never recommend Harborside as there is ONLY ONE left turn lane into port - this backs up.,

Continue on Hwy 45 onto Broadway to 21st., Left on 21st to Harborside then left on Harborside at light to port entry,'You are entering Harborside from the back side where there is little traffic.

Well......there was little traffic

[emoji850]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I just wanted to give a giant Texas-size thank you to SSB, Galveston Cruiser and all the others who helped me navigate the traffic thru Galveston during the Lone Star motorcycle rally.

The information you provided me with proved to be invaluable. The family & I got a late start driving down from Houston and I thought for sure I'd be sitting in a line of traffic trying to get to the terminal. With your directions, I was able to avoid the vast majority of the cars, take a self-guided tour of The Strand 🙂 and approach the terminal from the "other way". There was maybe a 6 cars making a right into the terminal while the line of cars making a left stretched over the horizon and out of sight.....possible back to Texas City. LOL

Anyway, with your help, we were probably on the ship a good hour or two earlier and more importantly, much more stress-free drive. DW is a nervous traveler.