Royal Caribbean vs Disney

AdventureMommy

I'm considering a cruise for my family (boys ages 10, 8 and 7) for 2020. We've never been on a cruise and I'm wondering if paying double for a Disney cruise makes sense for us. My two concerns are food and activities. We keep kosher and would be eating reheated prepackaged kosher meals on both cruise lines. I know that food is a major part of cruising and not getting the full "package" of the cool food takes away some of the value. Also, we probably wouldn't do a lot of excursions so I'd like a full roster of things to do on the ship. I see that both lines have kids clubs, but my oldest would be in a separate club from the other 2 on RC, they would all be together on Disney. He's not a real independent kid so I'm worried he'd fight me on going to a club alone. Also, are there enough adult and kid activities to keep us busy during the day on RC? We don't gamble. I looked through the RC site and most activities seem to be in the evening or involve food. Disney seems to have stuff going on all day. I'm sorry if this is rambling, I'm just trying to get some thoughts on my choices. Thank you!

I'm considering a cruise for my family (boys ages 10, 8 and 7) for 2020. We've never been on a cruise and I'm wondering if paying double for a Disney cruise makes sense for us. My two concerns are food and activities. We keep kosher and would be eating reheated prepackaged kosher meals on both cruise lines. I know that food is a major part of cruising and not getting the full "package" of the cool food takes away some of the value. Also, we probably wouldn't do a lot of excursions so I'd like a full roster of things to do on the ship. I see that both lines have kids clubs, but my oldest would be in a separate club from the other 2 on RC, they would all be together on Disney. He's not a real independent kid so I'm worried he'd fight me on going to a club alone. Also, are there enough adult and kid activities to keep us busy during the day on RC? We don't gamble. I looked through the RC site and most activities seem to be in the evening or involve food. Disney seems to have stuff going on all day. I'm sorry if this is rambling, I'm just trying to get some thoughts on my choices. Thank you!

There are other cruise lines that do better at kosher than just prepackaged food. Google "kosher food on cruises" and one article gives a comparative summary. I tried to post the URL but CC blocked it (I think it's a competitor cruise website.

Disney's clubs don't have the "structure" of the other lines. Sounds good, but most kids LIKE the structure! If you have the kids go to the club the first night (orientation), they quickly pick up friends...no worries about that!

Aside from the "Disney" name, they are more alike than different. Of course, the larger the ship, the more "activities" and bells and whistles a ship will have.

Regarding port days....do a bit of research...your family can have a GREAT time ashore! Get a guidebook or google your ports...the more you know , the less you will spend, and the better time you can have!

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have taken grandchildren aged 5 to 14 on Disney cruises and RCL Harmony of the seas more than once. There  is much more to do on Harmony of the Seas. Younger kids seem to like greeting characters on Disney. But Harmony has many more activities and less crowded because it is a huge ship.Supervision and security was good on both. I recently booked Harmony instead of Disney again for 2019 with a 7 and 9 year old. Food requests were easy on both. 

Google Kosher Cruises - as there are a number of RCCL cruises that are specifically Kosher,  as well as some other lines which I would think would give you a whole lot more opportunity to take advantage of the food onboard than the food on a regular cruise.  I notice Allure of the Seas has several Kosher cruises coming up and that would be the ship I would go on with kids - it is awesome!

For future reference, there are also river cruises that are 100% Kosher: http://www.kosherrivercruise.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHfHPIuLbTseb9wXsXNaSopwaKTACH_GXrTyOEtVD4OgbLnqB7y7MxxoCHNgQAvD_BwE. These are more for a couple, not so much with kids, but it is something to be aware of as these are pretty amazing vacations!

• 2 weeks later...

Our children did DCL when they were 5, 7 & 10 and loved it. They did RCCL a few years later & loved it too!

There is plenty to do for children & adults on both lines.

We loved our DCL cruise but we agreed we would not do it again due to the cost. We just didn't feel it was THAT much better than RCCL or Princess. (MIL paid for the DCL cruise for the whole family)

BUT either way, you are all sure to have a great time!