New Ship For Windstar?

sb44

A friend who we have sailed with emailed to let us know that they are on board in the Med and the captain announced last night that a 7th ship has been purchased. No word of name, line, etc. Let the speculation begin..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We have been on the Wind Surf for 3 weeks. Two different officers referred to another ship the first two weeks. On the third sailing the captain did indeed say they are currently working on purchasing a 7th ship. It is still in the beginning stages and it could still fall through. But they seem pretty positive on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on the Wind Surf for 3 weeks. Two different officers referred to another ship the first two weeks. On the third sailing the captain did indeed say they are currently working on purchasing a 7th ship. It is still in the beginning stages and it could still fall through. But they seem pretty positive on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think we'd all love it if they truly purchased and refurbished the Club Met II. However, I must point out the the crews have been talking about this for so many years that this rumor is ready to collect social security. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

Heard a while ago from one of the captains that they were going to build a new Wind Surf, and stretch the motor yachts. But from this new information it sounds like they are purchasing an existing ship??? Hope it is the Club Med ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would cost a fortune to build a new WindSurf.

WS got a bargain when they bought the whole line with the ships all those years ago.

It would cost a fortune to build a new WindSurf.

WS got a bargain when they bought the whole line with the ships all those years ago.

$100 millions back in 1990. About $200M in todays dollar with inflation. I'm no accountant but feasible (Look at Ponant fleet). Xanterra is big and serious. Who know?

Yes, they bought the whole fleet for a song. Don't forget that all those ships are either registered in the Bahamas, Maryland or the Marchal Island for tax purpose and each one of them is registered separately.

Merci pous ça. Très intéressant. When I first saw the Ponant sail concept discussed in an article i do not remember when I immediately thought of WS. Very curious. I think we are all very curious! Bonne Croisière

From your lips to God's ear!!!

We'd love a mate for the Surf but not having to shell out the money we'd love having a replacement for the Wind Song.

• 2 weeks later...

The Club Med 2 is in Brest for 2 weeks for dry-dock. There was some rumor going on in July that the 2018/2019 Winter Caribbean season would be her last but somebody else disputed the rumor (on a French website).

Silverseas Cruise announced this month that they are getting 3 new ships. They have 2 smaller (and older, 199ish) ship, Silver Cloud and Silver Wind ( 16800GT) that could make good hand-me-down ship. Silverseas is also knowledgeable in ship lengthening, so maybe engineers are looking at that at the moment. They both carry about 300 passengers.

Anyhow, WS is due to increase the fleet and Silver Seas parent company (RCC) might not want to keep smaller ship, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they will buy a Class A ship for Antarctica?  The old Russian ice breakers are inexpensive and it could be doable even after the cost of an internal gut and refurbish.  It seems that Windstar is seeking more and more adventure in their itineraries and this is the one place that is gaining in popularity as the Baby Boomers reach an active retirement and have the funds to pursue these types of trips.