Booked on SDII eastbound TA in April: BGI to LIS

back1817

This is my second SD cruise but my first SD TA experience. Previous cruise was aboard SDI November 2016 BGI to SXM. Great trip. From LIS, it's on to Athens, Gr. for a couple of weeks. One way airfares from Athens back to states are double RT fares. Contemplating buying the cheaper RT ticket from Athens back to the states using only the outbound leg. Will I be subject to retroactive penalties by the carrier.

Thank you both for your input. I took Dred Pilot's advice. Booked a RT originating in Europe to the States. Will only use the outbound leg back to the States. Oneway fare was double the RT fare. Go figure!! Thanks again for the advice!

• 3 months later...

This being my 1st TA experience, has anyone on the board done the EB spring TA? What can I expect in terms of weather?  Pool weather, outdoor dining weather, Balinese bed weather?  Are the seas relatively calm?  Miami confirms SDII going into dry dock at the end of this cruise but only says the expected SD experience will not be diminished.  Miami also says the cruise is about 45% booked.  Should be a cozy group!   

We have done about 10 TA cruises on SeaDream  (both directions).  And the weather has varied on about all trips.  Some trips have been very smooth and others have had some wave action.  It really seems to depend on weather systems in the Atlantic Ocean.  I can only recall one trip where the waves were briefly high and a bit uncomfortable to some, but we still enjoyed the cruise.  My wife is prone to seasickness, but she takes Bonine daily to avoid an issue.  As for outside temperature, that also has varied consistently.   On some trips, we were more comfortable in the salon because of the wind and outside temperature... yet on others, we were comfortable outside all day.  And the ability to eat dinner outside is naturally dependent on the weather.  

Our only regret on the Eastbound TAs is that the days are shortened midday by one hour to accommodate for the time zone changes. Years ago, this change was made at night, but for the recent Eastbound crossings, they have been making this change at noon. Specifically, noon suddenly becomes 1:00 PM, making for a shorter day.  This will probably happen on 6 days, so it will probably occur every other day in that this trip is shorter than usual (10 days rather than 13 days).  

All of that said, 45% booked, means that we will probably have 50 to 60 of guests onboard.  We have had more, and on one trip only had 19 guests.  All sizes have been great and fun as the SeaDream experience is what keeps us coming back.  

As for only using the outbound fare, I suggest that when you get back to the US, call the air carrier and tell them that you will have to postpone your return to Europe due to unforeseen issues.  You will then probably have a year to rebook, using a part of the unused fare to pay for another trip.  We used to purchase tickets in this manner, and it always worked out favorably.  

Helpful insight BeignetBoy.  Thank you.  Hoping for smooth sailing and warm temps.  50-60 guests sounds good too!  RT airfare from Europe back to the states was reasonable; yet I hate to waste the return leg.  Your advice is well taken.  Couldn't agree more:  "the SeaDream experience is what keeps us coming back."