Champagne

pdaniel

There are two "Germain" champagnes -

Champagne Paul-Etienne Saint Germain from Epernay

and

Champagne Germain Pidansat from Avirey-Langey

Which one? Both are appélation contrôlée so both "real" champagnes but Eperney is the very centre of the Champagne area - Avirey-Langey is way south, in fact south of Troyes. Probably "limite" for the appellation.

We had Montaudon on this year's WC but when we returned to the Navigator in August it was nowhere to be found. We were told that they had run out....but it looks as though they have changed the offerings to Germain. NOT happy....:mad:

We had Montaudon on this year's WC but when we returned to the Navigator in August it was nowhere to be found. We were told that they had run out....but it looks as though they have changed the offerings to Germain. NOT happy....:mad:

If hat is a permanent change, we won't be happy either.

ut oh....."sacre bleu !" Not happy on the East Coast as well.....Not thinking it's a deal breaker, but with the new pricing structures, it should be better than that.....

Life is too short to drink bad wine. If they are serving Champagne it should at least be reasonable. Serving average Champagne just so you can say you are serving Champagne is a black mark in my books. I was looking forward to trying the Mountadon on my upcoming cruise in November on Voyager.

If hat is a permanent change, we won't be happy either.

Now this is very interesting! It goes to show that it is all about taste....Montaudon ( I like it very much) is for sale in the supermarket for 13 dollar. Jaquart sells for 34 and Germain R B goes for 39 ! So Regent is doing well IMHO.

:halo:

PAUL

What Champaign do you get in the MS on the Explorer? What I have read it is mediocre Champagne. On Crystal you get Veuve Clicquot or Cristal and sometimes Dom Perignon. In the CP it is replaced as needed. When you pay for a high end suite it should be better than the bar pour.

Now this is very interesting! It goes to show that it is all about taste....Montaudon ( I like it very much) is for sale in the supermarket for 13 dollar. Jaquart sells for 34 and Germain R B goes for 39 ! So Regent is doing well IMHO.

:halo:

PAUL

WOW! Montradon for 13$....for a full bottle? or maybe a split? If it's for a full bottle, 13$ is a give away!

"Champagne" doesn't mean much It means that the grapes that made the wine were grown in the Appellation Contrôlée area in France. Some are good. Some are great. Some are not. And much depends on the taste of the drinker as well.

Silly to get excited about a "normally poured" champagne. Regent will not say it is champagne unless it is...the real stuff. But the real stuff varies a lot. Even within the same cave or vigneron.

Living here in Europe I have particular "tastes" and "feelings" about which champagne I like. Mostly it is Vincent Joudart, from Fèrebrianges. But you won't find his wines on any boat...his production is too small. Otherwise I am more than happy with Veuve Cliquot. NOT with Dom Pérignon. Way too acid for my taste...

PAUL

It is all about taste - agree with you. I don't care for the taste of Jacquart but enjoy Montaudon. Never heard of Germain R B. Now that we are Titanium Seven Seas Society members, we get a bottle (only one) of Veuve Clicquot which is our favorite (preferred over "Dom"). When I Googled Montaudon, the prices I saw were higher than quoted (see below - if the copy and paste worked)

As people that have sailed Regent in the past few years know, the bar champagne and the champagne in your suite are not generally the same thing. If they give us Jacquart, we return it to the butler.

It sounds as if Crystal has different champagne on their ships which is their choice and if that is what cruisers want, Crystal is likely a good cruise line to sail on. Regent is what it is - take it or leave it!

What Champaign do you get in the MS on the Explorer? What I have read it is mediocre Champagne. On Crystal you get Veuve Clicquot or Cristal and sometimes Dom Perignon. In the CP it is replaced as needed. When you pay for a high end suite it should be better than the bar pour.

We had Veuve Cliquot in our Master Suite on the Navigator in May and before that in our Explorer Suite on the Explorer.

We had Veuve Cliquot in our Master Suite on the Navigator in May and before that in our Explorer Suite on the Explorer.

This is true - you do get one bottle upon embarkation. I generally save it and share it with another couple during the cruise.

WOW! Montradon for 13$....for a full bottle? or maybe a split? If it's for a full bottle, 13$ is a give away!

It is the regular 70c bottle. For sale at DEEN Supermarket. They have 83 outlets. If you like Heineken, a case with 24 30c bottles is for sale there at 12 bucks. Enjoy!:halo:

Paul

You might try LIDL or ALDI supermarket as well.

It is the regular 70c bottle. For sale at DEEN Supermarket. They have 83 outlets. If you like Heineken, a case with 24 30c bottles is for sale there at 12 bucks. Enjoy!:halo:

Paul

You might try LIDL or ALDI supermarket as well.

Wonderful if you're in Europe! We have a local Aldi's but no alcohol....phooey!

We are on Mariner.

The champagne being poured in the bars at present is “Monopole”.

Sommelier said they would normally pour “Germain”, but they have run out; it appears that ”Montaudon” is no longer stocked on board.

“Veuve Cliquot” is available at extra cost (one welcome complementary bottle for those in upper named suites)

Rose champagne and vintage champagnes are also available from the Premium selection (Connoisseur wine list)

Hope this helps you champagne buffs out there :)

(Would have posted earlier but internet has been very intermittent during the past week :()

Wonderful if you're in Europe! We have a local Aldi's but no alcohol....phooey!

Do you remember when Regent served Heidsieck Monopole champagne? I liked it (prices below).

The only champagne I could find with the name "Germain" was much cheaper than Heidsieck Monopole. The next time you see me onboard I may not be drinking my "normal" champagne drink before dinner!

Do you remember when Regent served Heidsieck Monopole champagne? I liked it (prices below).

The only champagne I could find with the name "Germain" was much cheaper than Heidsieck Monopole. The next time you see me onboard I may not be drinking my "normal" champagne drink before dinner!

Jackie,

One of the main reasons the Thierry Germains are cheaper is that they are not champagnes. Instead, they are sparkling wines from the Loire.

After long experience, I have come to the conclusion that price is not an absolute indicator of quality. I have found that too many people judge a wine with their eyes by reading the label and the price tag instead of actually tasting the wine.

Jackie,

One of the main reasons the Thierry Germains are cheaper is that they are not champagnes. Instead, they are sparkling wines from the Loire.

After long experience, I have come to the conclusion that price is not an absolute indicator of quality. I have found that too many people judge a wine with their eyes by reading the label and the price tag instead of actually tasting the wine.

Dave, you are absolutely right. I learned this by attending several Connoisseur Wine Lunches on Regent. There are some very pricey wines that just do not taste good to me while some inexpensive wines taste great. Perhaps I do not have a good palate. As I've mentioned, we are not Dom Perignon lovers but enjoy Veuve Cliquot and even some $20 bottles. For me, a champagne needs to be dry rather than sweet.

So, if Regent is serving Thierry Germain (not even sure that is exactly what they are serving since posters just state "Germain) they cannot call it champagne since it is not. In any case, if Regent has 'Monopole' onboard, we'll be happy.

Jackie