Champagne

pdaniel

As I said in an earlier post there are two "Germain" (pretty common name in France) champagnes that ARE champagne - i,e, appelation contrôlée. France is VERY strict about this and only wines from the champagne area can be called champagne. So a sparkling wine from the Loire is a "mousseux" and never champagne.

Monopole is Heidsieck and a very nice champagne. Not as nice as Veuve Cliquot or Joudart, but very drinkable.

We are recently off the Silversea Spirit. The Heidsieck Monople ("Blue Top") was the general pour in all of the bars, as well as Pommery. Loved the Blue Top and was my usual "treat" at cocktail time! Was also the replacement bottle in the cabin after the welcome treat was gone.

TCat2,

Thank you for posting the link. That is what was served on Explorer last month during our Baltic cruise.

Thank you for confirming that this is what was served. It will be interesting to taste the champagne when we board in one month and 6 days (but whose counting?)

I thought my post #22 was clear that Regent are serving Monopole at present.

So sorry if my post did not give sufficient clarity on this point.

I was responding to another poster - about the past - not the present, The question was "do you remember when Regent served ..........". You apparently misunderstood my post ........ thought that it was clear in terms of tenses!:rolleyes:

Keeping in the topic and those that love bubbles, hubby and I will be planning a trip to champagne region in December this year. I have been in the area before, but just for a day trip from Paris. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to stay, what chateau to visit and sample or great place to eat?

Keeping in the topic and those that love bubbles, hubby and I will be planning a trip to champagne region in December this year. I have been in the area before, but just for a day trip from Paris. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to stay, what chateau to visit and sample or great place to eat?

We were there for two days this July with an overnight in Epernay in Hostelliere Briqueterie.

http://https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/france/briqueterie-marne-vinay

We were with friends who live in France so had a car which made things easier.

We visited Moet and Chandon in Epernay and found it interesting with about 20 people on the tour. I enjoyed it but enjoyed the Ruinart tour in Reims more because there were only eight people and you got to try a couple of their vintage champagnes as well. Also the caves in Ruinart are very deep limestone caves. We went down the stairs in various parts but then took the elevator back up.

One hint, which in December won't be so important as you will be dressed for the cold. Bring something warm to wear for the caves. Some people on our tours were given rugs because they only had light summer clothes on.

Julie

Reading the early posts in this thread I became quite excited by the thought that the 'house' champagne might be

Champagne Paul-Etienne Saint Germain. That, IMHO, is one very nice champagne. From memory

Champagne Paul-Etienne Saint Germain Divine

retails here in the UK at between £50 and £55 a bottle and, although as people have rightly pointed out, cost is not a 100% measure of quality it is a nice pour. To be honest I have never hear of the Germain that is being served.

That said any wine seems to taste better when one is on vacation. I vividly recall bringing home some cases of a wine that we had enjoyed with lovely picnics on a family holiday in Brittany one year. It tasted wonderful outdoors in the sun with fresh baguettes, soft cheese and tomatoes but when we got it home it was consigned to the 'only cook with it' category.

• Haha 2

frantic36 - thank you for the comments. we have been to

Moet and Chandon in Epernay and I agree that was great. Thanks for the link also,

Ruinart may work well!

John182, my husband has also purchased wine on vacation and months later when the shipment appeared, we couldn't figure out why we ever thought it was good!

Thank you for confirming that this is what was served. It will be interesting to taste the champagne when we board in one month and 6 days (but whose counting?)

I will report on the champagne situation as I am on the same ship in 27 days.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Explorer right now. They have the St. Germain, which is not to our liking at all. May have to change to Prosecco.

They are now charging $60 for a bottle of Montaudon, or $15 per glass.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BBWC said:

On the Explorer right now. They have the St. Germain, which is not to our liking at all. May have to change to Prosecco.

That really sucks.......

BBWC, is St. Germain the only included choice?  I think that the alcohol menu may have changed as I do not recall premium champagnes being served by the glass - only by the bottle.  On our cruise earlier this year there were two included choices:  Jacquart (which we don't are for) so if the choices are Jacquart or St. Germain, I think I'll stick to tequila🍾  Seriously though, while I may have a tequila or vodka drink at lunch, I don't like to mix alcohol so I have a champagne drink before dinner (it does not seem to matter that I'll be drinking wine with dinner - no headache).  Without champagne, I'm not sure what to drink.  We have enough OBC's to pay for champagne by the glass but there is no way I'd pay $15/glass for Montaudon.

2 hours ago, BBWC said:

I was just on  the NAV  in August and Montaudon was still free. My DW think that both Jacquart or St. Germain are good for washing sock in.

Not only does this suck;  Montaudon at $60 a bottle is a rip-off. I can but the exact same in Paris for 20 and in the US for about $30. I know that in bulk Regent's  price is far cheaper.

Surely Jason M will chime in and say this is all a mistake......................................

J

Edited by JMARINER

We were on Navigator in late July & Montaudon was nowhere to be found, not offered time even upon request.  Perhaps on your sailing they restocked.  However, we were told that Montaudon had been replaced with St. Germain.

St. Germain was definitely a different quality and character than Montaudon so much so we did not order it unless it came mixed as a Kir.  Otherwise, pass as it was just not a pleasant quaff.  Jacquart has been for years a back up onboard but also not to our liking.

To each, his/her own.  I ain't drinking Chateau de Grapefruit if its not enjoyable which, to my regret, Montaudon has been for years.  We also buy M at Total.

Oooppps. My post was is incorrect.

DW reminded me that on our August NAV cruise it was NOT Montaudon being served. It was Monopole Blue Top by Heidseick which  she likes it as much as the Montaudon. The Monopole was the new Montuadon replacement.

I wish that Cruise Critic would allow posted to be edited for corrections.

J

203530011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=b619d

Edited by JMARINER

We would be quite pleased if Regent was to serve the Heidsieck Monopole as the house champagne.  We've enjoyed it on Silversea and find it much better (for a modestly-priced bubbly) than either Jacquart or Montaudon.   Montaudon is fine for something like Kir Royale or Champagne with St-Germain but is not so good all by itself.   Jacquart is pretty much suited only for something really highly-flavored like a Bellini, in which case a decent prosecco would likely do the job just as well.

Edited by freddie

Monopole was in our cabin on embarkation. The only ones listed on the menu are the St. Germain, the French sparkling wine they had before, and a Prosecco. I will ask about the Monopole in the bars this evening.

Dave,

none of your pictures match the St. Germain served on board. I will see if I can get a picture some time.

9 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Dave,

none of your pictures match the St. Germain served on board. I will see if I can get a picture some time.

Thanks, BBWC.  What didn’t you like about the St. Germain?  Was it too dry, too sweet, too acidic, too flabby, or did you think it was flawed in some other way?

Dave

Hi Dave,

on our cruise, Monte Carlo to Venice late September, it was the gold labelled bottle and not really dry enough for us. We still managed to drink it though.

I’d be interested to know if Regent would be able to supply Nyetimber or Chapel Down, both very pleasant award winning English sparkling wines.  I will have to ask next time. 

John 

Well, the world is ok again. Asked for the Monopole at the bar, and was happily accommodated - with no charge. It just took them a couple of minutes to get a bottle from storage somewhere. The Monopole will do very nicely. So the trick is to ask for Monopole specifically rather than just champagne.

• Haha 1