Baltimore/Washington/Delaware airiport question

beshears

We are flying from Kansas City to the Baltimore/Washington Airport for the first time. If you have ever been to this airport, or live close by,is there something we can see or do within a couple hours, going from the airport?

I have lived in the DC area for almost 20 years. BWI is in MD and not near the DC tourist things with only 2 hours (you said a couple which to me is 2). Are you also leaving from Port of Baltimore? If so, Camden Yards is on the way if you're baseball people. However, what is your plan for your luggage? There is also the National Aquarium in Baltimore. But I would want more than an hour to visit it and again the luggage. If you just want a place in Baltimore to eat, not far I recommend https://www.missshirleys.com/ they close at 3:30pm. Miss Shirley's is about a minute from the Port :)

Thank you for your reply to my question about the airport. Yes,at this point it looks like it will be about 2 hours, so we probably couldn't see/do much in that time. Since it was our first time in that area, that is why I was asking.:)

There isn't much to do around BWI but if you go to Inner Harbor before you head to the cruise terminal, you'll find lots to do. There's lots of restaurants, shops.. The National Aquarium is there but you only have 2 hours.

I'd personally check out Fell's Point. Its a small neighborhood right next to Inner Harbor..old cobblestone/brick streets, lots of shops, bars and bakeries. Its great! Its about 15 minutes from the terminal.

beshears, will this be a stop over with connecting flight to somewhere else? If so, then no, you probably won't have enough time for any sightseeing. We normally fly out of Dulles (20 minute drive) but have flown out of Baltimore in the past. The actual airport isn't really close enough to any sights (DC or Baltimore). Attaching screen shot from Google Maps with both Washington, DC and Baltimore circled in yellow. The red rectangle outlines Baltimore/Washington International area, red "pin" is the actual airport, so this will give you a visual of where the airport is located in relation to both DC and Baltimore. Depending on the time of day, traffic can also be a major issue as well...we know, we've sat in it. :)

Screen shot from Google Maps

enhance

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We are flying from Kansas City to the Baltimore/Washington Airport for the first time. If you have ever been to this airport, or live close by,is there something we can see or do within a couple hours, going from the airport?

Are you boarding the Pride or is this just a layover? What time does your flight arrive?

As others have noted, the Inner Harbor is the closest thing to the airport and that is about 20 min away...only 10-15 from the Pride pier.

Fort McHenry, maybe? Birthplace of the Star Spangled Banner.

This. Take a cab/uber there from the airport, walk around (pay to go into the historical area if you want, the park outside of the historical area is free, but the historical area and kind of neat/kind of corny video they show is definitely worth seeing at least once), take cab/uber to the port. Fort McHenry is super close to the port, and bonus, as you sail out of Baltimore, you sail right past the Fort so you can point and go "we were just there!"

You could go to the cruise port and drop off your checked luggage. You will have to carry your carry on.

Inner Harbor is nearby and nice to walk around. The Aquarium and Science Center will take too long.

You could visit Fort McHenry.

If this is just a layover, there is not enough time to do anything.

Especially considering that you'll have to go through security when your return to the airport, and need to allow extra time for that, just in case lines are long. You'd also have to allow time when leaving the restaurant (or wherever you go) to wait for a cab or Uber, as they won't be lined up outside like they are at the airport. With just two hours, you really have no wiggle room for this.

Frankly, with just two hours I wouldn't want to leave even just to grab lunch; I'd feel rushed (i.e. stressed out) the whole time. Grab a bite in the airport, bring a book or a downloaded movie on an ipad, and relax.

Waterbug123, yes after posting this, that is what I thought as well.

So you're just connecting through BWI? I'm assuming that means Southwest?

If so, you can grab a taste of traditional Baltimore that's no longer available in Baltimore: Obrycki's. Obrycki's was located in Fells Point for 60+ years but closed a few years ago. They now have an airport location in Terminal B and a bar in A. Still my favorite crab cakes, even though I don't fly SWA out of BWI...

Especially considering that you'll have to go through security when your return to the airport, and need to allow extra time for that, just in case lines are long. You'd also have to allow time when leaving the restaurant (or wherever you go) to wait for a cab or Uber, as they won't be lined up outside like they are at the airport. With just two hours, you really have no wiggle room for this.

Frankly, with just two hours I wouldn't want to leave even just to grab lunch; I'd feel rushed (i.e. stressed out) the whole time. Grab a bite in the airport, bring a book or a downloaded movie on an ipad, and relax.

I don't think they were just changing planes.

If so, I agree, just stay in the airport.

But I read it as, they have a couple of hours after arrival before they need to be somewhere. And considering that this is a cruise forum, I would guess they are cruising out of Baltimore.

In that case, they may NOT have 2 hours to kill, or they may have longer if they arrive late and miss the ship.