Guaranty cabins

porrah

Does anyone have an idea how soon (or late) before sailings the guaranty cabins are assigned, or is it entirely unpredictable? I am on the Oct 18th sailing of the Star ( which is not sold out) and am waiting impatiently! I am guessing it is late because they are hoping to sell more cabins.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

I would guess that it is related to the available cabins and other factors. We are on the sailing of Star before you (Oct 6) and our guarantee was assigned on Aug 28th. We booked a GTY PV3 and were upgraded to a PV1. Bottom line it could be today or you won't know until you show up for embarkation.

I wound up with a GTY because the limited number of PV3 cabins remaining and Viking would not commit to assignment at that time. I don't know if its something you can actually ask for. There was no savings, only an assurance that you would receive the booked category or higher.

I didn't set out to book a guaranty either. I booked ( and paid for) the lowest category - v 2- and Viking suggested the guaranty.[/quote

Same situation with you on the Star. Booked V2 and waiting for assignment.,....actually I like the wait. ….Can't be worse than the lowest of low.....Surprise when you get to Manhattan.

Have you received your final docs yet? Curious what pier the Star is assigned in NYC.

I would be interested in where in NYC Viking docks as well. There is the Cruise Terminal at Red Hook Brooklyn which QM2 uses but I much prefer the West Side Passenger Terminal in Manhattan. God forbid they dock in New Jersey with some of the mass market biggies. :eek:

I would be interested in where in NYC Viking docks as well. There is the Cruise Terminal at Red Hook Brooklyn which QM2 uses but I much prefer the West Side Passenger Terminal in Manhattan. God forbid they dock in New Jersey with some of the mass market biggies. :eek:

We departed last fall from the West side terminal. But some other Viking cruises used the Brooklyn terminal, which caused some passenger consternation.

We are on the Orion Far East Discovery in 19 days (21 October) booked lowest price and like others given guarantee status as a matter of course. It appears to be only the owners suite that has not sold but as yet no allocation against our booking. Now that would be an upgrade!! (y)We were told it would be allocated on boarding but have been checking to see if the guarantee fairy :halo::halo::halo: has smiled on us! It's all part of the excitement and we've travelled guarantee on a few different lines like Seabourn, Silversea and others and never been disappointed. (yn)This will be our 3rd Viking cruise with both previously on Star with regular allocated cabins. It would be good to share the results.

We departed last fall from the West side terminal. But some other Viking cruises used the Brooklyn terminal, which caused some passenger consternation.

Good to hear. I also would like to use the West Side Terminal. Brooklyn as a place is nice these days, the cruise terminal not as much but the West Side Terminal has the history and is more the "New York" experience. Again, imho.:cool:

We also have a guarantee room on the star in 2 weeks. Having not received our documents,I called Viking. Was told cabin assignment will be done on board. I thought we would know when final docs weee sent. I’m slightly anxious. 🤔. What tags for luggage will we get so they know what cabin?

We left from Brooklyn Terminal last year on Viking Sky. I only knew because I looked at the Cruise Port Schedule Website, Viking was adamant in saying the departure was from the Manhattan Terminal, and many people went to the wrong one. They ended up sending an email to passengers after I had figured out the miscomunnication.

I emailed them multiple times because I saw the Sky was arriving in New York from another cruise and disembarkation was in Brooklyn

The GTY tags we received did not have room info printed on them. They do however seem to have an RFID chip imbedded in them which would probably be tied to our ID and cabin number. Based on other threads the staff seems to be pretty tech dependent and probably just scan the tag to determine final cabin destination.

Your booking number is on the luggage tags and that is what they use to send your luggage to the right cabin. You ask the concierge on boarding if no assignment has been received. I was told this morning that assignments could be two weeks out, but are often upon boarding.

We are on the Orion Far East Discovery in 19 days (21 October) booked lowest price and like others given guarantee status as a matter of course. It appears to be only the owners suite that has not sold but as yet no allocation against our booking. Now that would be an upgrade!! (y)We were told it would be allocated on boarding but have been checking to see if the guarantee fairy :halo::halo::halo: has smiled on us! It's all part of the excitement and we've travelled guarantee on a few different lines like Seabourn, Silversea and others and never been disappointed. (yn)This will be our 3rd Viking cruise with both previously on Star with regular allocated cabins. It would be good to share the results.

We are also on that cruise. Just joined CC and threads seam very confusing. Have searched Orion and nothing comes up. Any suggestions? See you on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also on that cruise. Just joined CC and threads seam very confusing. Have searched Orion and nothing comes up. Any suggestions? See you on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Roll calls have their own forum, separate from this one. Viking Orion roll calls are located here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1087. Click on this link and then scan the list until you find your sail date. If you don't see your sail date listed, then you may start the roll call thread (read the instruction about what to put in the subject line) or wait for someone to start it.

Don't bother with the find your roll call tool; it isn't always accurate.

Also on the Orion 21st October and have been told will be allocated cabin on embarkation. Think this is strange as Ship is full but have tickets and luggage labels so this must be the way Viking operate. This is our first experience with Viking.

Hi Josusy

We are literally in the same boat! Sailing Orion on the 21st ,have tickets, tags, visas and the waiting game continues.....! Only the owners suite left to sell. Let's flip a coin for it ;-) We've been told the same about finding out on board but keep checking MyViking journey just in case. It's our third Viking cruise but first on guarantee with them. We've been lucky on other lines with upgrades so fingers crossed that continues. I don't believe there are any bad cabins and you are never far from a stair, lift or what's going on. I see you have joined the roll call and signed up for the meet & mingle on board. About 25 so far I think. Hope to see you on board.

Have a great weekend

Maddie & Mark

On our summer cruise, a few days after the cruise was shown as sold out, a cabin assignment showed up one morning on My Viking Journey. I think it was about 12 days out. We were only upgraded from V to DV but the location was nice. It seems like this year's requests for V cabins were often made guarantees. On the cruise we booked on board, we were told V was sold out and we could only book DV as they were no longer booking guarantees. I think it is because many like us booked a V on the first Viking Ocean cruise we took and did not see any advantage to paying more (yes it is smallish but better than many ships and with a balcony). While our DV2 near an aft elevator on 6 was a good location, the other amenities of DV over V were not substantial especially if you got one as a guarantee. You can get on an hour earlier and use the stuff in the fridge without paying for it but often the cabin is not assigned soon enough to sign up for restaurants etc. Do get the Viking App now though because it is the easiest way to book restaurants once you are on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Like others on this thread, when we booked on the Star several months ago, we were encouraged by Viking to get the guaranty, and purchased the V2. Although no promises were made at that time, we were told the V1 category was sold out and so the probability of an upgrade was good.  We are on the Nov 15 Star sailing which apparently is not selling well.  Now, I am a little squeamish because the Viking rep told me today that we are not likely to get an upgrade because there is lots of availability on this cruise.  I guess I thought it was the other way around--that the possibility of an upgrade is greater if there is lots of availability.  Also, some of the DV categories have been discounted on their website, so I thought about just purchasing an upgrade when we get to the port, but am being told by Viking, that upgrading at the port would actually be more expensive because all the categories are sold at the original price at the port.  This is different than every other line we've been on.  Anyone know anything about how the guaranty works based on availability? and if it's true that prices are actually higher at the port?  The reason I started looking in to this is that we also got Viking Air which puts us into an extremely long travel day--having to leave home at 3 a.m. to make their flight, but not being able to get into our cabin until 3 pm with the V2 guaranty.   This is our first Viking cruise, and so far I'm not impressed. 

We have a V2 guarantee booked for a Dec. 4th sailing.  The ship showed 30 unbooked cabins yesterday morning and there are now 7.  Not sure what this means.  At this point we are 47 days from sailing and I'm wondering when we might get our cabin assignment?  Any info from previous passengers would be appreciated.  When were you given cabin number and was it an upgrade?

Thanks!